PDA

View Full Version : Double disabled scooters...menace or godsend?

Lissalyon
01-11-2015, 20:53
They are driving me bonkers. I thi k they are great for a coup,e where one is disabled especially if the spouse is getting on a bit.

No, it's the ones driven by non disabled people that are a menace. Two came crashing down Raphael Puig outside la siesta tonight, weaving in and out of pedestrians. It's always busy there, thinking it was a hoot.

I'm disabled myself . We tried to hire one but I couldn't lift myself on to the seat at the back...it's 28 ins high and the driving seat although lower wasn't comfortable.

I just think its going to really sicken the non disabled public here. We will all be tarred with the same brush and seen as a nuisance where for some of us it's a lifeline.

I know several paraplegics who holiday here on their own and if they didn't have a scooter to transfer into they would have a really difficult time of it.

Are there any controls on them because there doesn't appear to be any.
Like you should show your blue badge or a letter from the doctor before you can hire one.

If there hasn't already been an accident I think there will be soon especially when some seem to think its a race and pedestrians are jumping out of the way.

trevorife2
01-11-2015, 22:39
Just back from tfs and thats one thing i won't miss, awful idea for awful people ... Had some idiots drive towards me and my 4 year old last week and expected me to move..i just stood there.... Theres a go kart track for that type of thing

Lissalyon
01-11-2015, 22:46
Glad it's not just me that thinks this way then.

I can understand the people who rent them out....business is business but I honestly cannot see the authorities pitting up with the indiscriminate hiring of them.

I hate to post threads like this as I'm normally quite laid back and I can just see legitimate disabled people getting a bad name and Los cris and las Americas getting a bad reputation.

As you say there's go karts for that sort of thing

LUCKY
01-11-2015, 22:54
http://www.canarianweekly.com/pavement-scooters-banned/ :flatcap:

Lissalyon
01-11-2015, 23:21
Glad to see that article. You can't only rent to over 55s though. They have to look into this properly. There are plenty of paraplegics / stroke victims/ survivors and so on under 55.

Sounds like a bit of a knee jerk reaction in my opinion.

It needs proper thinking and regulating.

garlicbread
02-11-2015, 11:53
I would like to conduct some research into the people /companies who rent out these contraptions. I totally agree with the OP that they are a total menace in the hands of the wrong people. Can anyone point me in the direction of where they can be rented in Tenerife.

Lissalyon
02-11-2015, 13:00
They can be rented just about anywhere. There's a place over the road from the siesta and two places on the bus route avenida alfonso noelia. Just along from the noelia sur.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

PDlA ..las Americas of course

LUCKY
02-11-2015, 14:01
I would like to conduct some research into the people /companies who rent out these contraptions. I totally agree with the OP that they are a total menace in the hands of the wrong people. Can anyone point me in the direction of where they can be rented in Tenerife.

http://orangebadge.eu/product-category/mobility-scooters/

http://www.mobilityfamily.com/

http://www.tenerife-mobility-scooter-hire.com/tenerife_mobility_scooters.htm

blondie
02-11-2015, 14:24
Everyone who goes to Tenerife complains constantly about these menaces on scooters , disability and the other two wheeled variety , but typical of the T enerife we know and love , absolutely nothing done about it When we over in June things were put in place and the police were involved in taking them off the idiots who were on them but when we came back in Sept everything was even worse with the young drunks and families with young kids standing on them. There were more than ever and as per usual , no police either .

Lissalyon
03-11-2015, 20:55
I was nearly ran into by two youngt men on a double scooter. They must have been all of 20- 25.

Why?
Why are they wanting to do that. Use one I mean. Being disabled myself I'd swap places any day.

A restaurant waiter saw what happened. He agreed with me it's all wrong . He said the police try to stop it. Well they need to try harder.

marbro8
03-11-2015, 21:38
They are driving me bonkers. I thi k they are great for a coup,e where one is disabled especially if the spouse is getting on a bit.

No, it's the ones driven by non disabled people that are a menace. Two came crashing down Raphael Puig outside la siesta tonight, weaving in and out of pedestrians. It's always busy there, thinking it was a hoot.

I'm disabled myself . We tried to hire one but I couldn't lift myself on to the seat at the back...it's 28 ins high and the driving seat although lower wasn't comfortable.

I just think its going to really sicken the non disabled public here. We will all be tarred with the same brush and seen as a nuisance where for some of us it's a lifeline.

I know several paraplegics who holiday here on their own and if they didn't have a scooter to transfer into they would have a really difficult time of it.

Are there any controls on them because there doesn't appear to be any.
Like you should show your blue badge or a letter from the doctor before you can hire one.

If there hasn't already been an accident I think there will be soon especially when some seem to think its a race and pedestrians are jumping out of the way.as i have said before. our niece is disabled. she was born with arthrogryposis. which is a condition that affects the joints. and she has blue badges.she gets some funny looks while riding the disabled scooters in and around los cris and las americas. maybe it's because she is a 21 year old beautiful young lady? and unless you saw her try to walk, or try to hold a glass or try to eat, you would never know she was disabled???. she took her badges to tenerife in october because we thought that the authorities where cracking down on the JOYRIDERS. but we never saw anyone challenged?. it was infuriating walking along las vistas beach front. we saw a couple of rather large unfit adults trying to push past us on a double scooter. saying "these are what you need to get around it beats walking":angry:. no sorry it doesn't beat walking if you have the ability to do it:angry:

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

I would like to conduct some research into the people /companies who rent out these contraptions. I totally agree with the OP that they are a total menace in the hands of the wrong people. Can anyone point me in the direction of where they can be rented in Tenerife.the company that my niece rented from was called prime choice just opposite the church in los cris. next to bar gavota?. i don't know what their policy is on renting to disabled or non disabled. but i would think that with any business in tenerife they are there to make money regardless of your ability:angry:. what i will say. is that the yellow scooters they hire out are the best we have ever had. my niece went from el mirador complex in los cris to la caleta and back. and still had half a charge left in it. they also sell them. the one she had was for sale for €1000. if you had somewhere to store it then it would pay for itself after about 7 uses.it was also the cheapest deal at €150 for the 2 weeks:wink2:

Lissalyon
08-11-2015, 11:15
Thanks for that info. Ineed to calm down about it as the more fit people I see riding them the hotter under the collar I'm getting.

My DAdar ( disabled radar ) works perfectly . I can spot the genuine, Marbro, even when young and beautiful, like I was once . After 43 years in a chair you know who needs one ( that includes all disabilities ) and the ones just having a fun ride.

It's their money they can do what they like. I just don't want to see the sympathetic public at large just getting disabled fatigue after having to jump out the way of idiots!

One tosser the other day hadn't a clue. Jumped onto it, pressed the accelerator too hard and nearly hit a wall and tried to stop it with his feet. Er,just let go!

I'm off for a cold shower and a calm down!

TOTO 99
08-11-2015, 12:05
Thanks for that info. Ineed to calm down about it as the more fit people I see riding them the hotter under the collar I'm getting.

My DAdar ( disabled radar ) works perfectly . I can spot the genuine, Marbro, even when young and beautiful, like I was once . After 43 years in a chair you know who needs one ( that includes all disabilities ) and the ones just having a fun ride.

It's their money they can do what they like. I just don't want to see the sympathetic public at large just getting disabled fatigue after having to jump out the way of idiots!

One tosser the other day hadn't a clue. Jumped onto it, pressed the accelerator too hard and nearly hit a wall and tried to stop it with his feet. Er,just let go!

I'm off for a cold shower and a calm down!

Lol Lissa......:laugh:

seanocelt
08-11-2015, 14:02
As some of you know i am very against their miss - use by able bodied idiots and the greedy fools that hire them out. SO, i asked my taxi driver last night if it was losing them daytime revenue.. He said it was and its to be acted upon next year due to this and the safety issue too.

marbro8
08-11-2015, 14:19
As some of you know i am very against their miss - use by able bodied idiots and the greedy fools that hire them out. SO, i asked my taxi driver last night if it was losing them daytime revenue.. He said it was and its to be acted upon next year due to this and the safety issue too.that's good news IF it is acted upon. as i have said. my niece carried her blue badge everywhere in october just in case she was challenged. this is what needs to be done. stop people and ask them to produce evidence of their disability. and if they can't then confiscate the scooter and make them walk. then impound it and fine the people renting them out

essexeddie
08-11-2015, 16:34
Someone posted on a Facebook Tenerife forum that they wanted to hire a small scooter.
I posted to them "have you tried walking"
And got barred. Some people are so sensitive.

Lissalyon
08-11-2015, 22:16
More idiots today....Grrrr!

garlicbread
09-11-2015, 12:39
http://orangebadge.eu/product-category/mobility-scooters/

http://www.mobilityfamily.com/

http://www.tenerife-mobility-scooter-hire.com/tenerife_mobility_scooters.htm

I have now received a response from 2 of the 3 people above to some questions I've asked about who they will or will not hire to and will post these responses later. However to get a wider sample of replies can anyone else tell me who else hires these "disability" scooters, phone numbers and or website addresses are all I need...

LUCKY
09-11-2015, 13:19
I have now received a response from 2 of the 3 people above to some questions I've asked about who they will or will not hire to and will post these responses later. However to get a wider sample of replies can anyone else tell me who else hires these "disability" scooters, phone numbers and or website addresses are all I need...

https://www.cooltra.com/en/rent_scooter_location/scooter-rental-santa-cruz-tenerife?gclid=CJPjyM6og8kCFRNmGwodwL8LDQ

http://www.bluebadge-tenerife.com/tenerife-mobility-hire.htm

http://www.josemobilitytenerife.com/

3 more for you to try. Keep up the good work. :flatcap::feret::feret::feret::feret:

Angusjim
09-11-2015, 13:25
I am hopeless with names and street names but two places that maybe somebody can give info about are the little shop next door to Dreamers I hired bike from him and he rents out "disable"scooters and the place next to the Ye Old English Tearoom across the road from San Marino complex

TOTO 99
09-11-2015, 13:30
Active Mobility in the Apolo Centre.....Near the Merry Monk....before AngusJim says it...lol.

I don't know if they do the double ones though.

http://www.activemobility-tenerife.com/

seanocelt
09-11-2015, 17:38
guys they are on every other street loads of them now

18-11-2015, 11:36
6256How long before we see these on the streets of Lo Cris and PDLA?