PDA

View Full Version : Other Old leper colony in Sanatorio de Abona

essexeddie
09-11-2015, 18:06
Interesting visit today to the old leper colony in Sanatorio de Abona. Nice beach there with a few bars. Well impressed with the area.

Malteser Monkey
09-11-2015, 21:35
i have heard it's nice.:wink:

Will you regular's behave please :whistle:

Eddie I didn't even know it existed

essexeddie
09-11-2015, 22:50
Yep its quite a large area, has a church, hospital and lots of buildings. All been abandoned. Its a ghost town.
Junction 42 off TF1

TOTO 99
10-11-2015, 09:54
Thought I'd put a piccy up for anyone interested......Looks a bit like the Alamo...:tiphat:

blondie
10-11-2015, 15:37
I once visited the leper colony on Spinalonga Island in Crete , could not believe when they told us it had only been in late 50 s that it was closed .
I couldn't wait to get off the Island , creepiest place I had ever been , felt really uneasy when there . So I will not be visiting the one in Tenerife.

TOTO 99
10-11-2015, 16:22
I once visited the leper colony on Spinalonga Island in Crete , could not believe when they told us it had only been in late 50 s that it was closed .
I couldn't wait to get off the Island , creepiest place I had ever been , felt really uneasy when there . So I will not be visiting the one in Tenerife.

I can understand why...

I'd be interested to know what exactly the attraction is with this place? Is it architecture, or maybe location?..I've no idea. Hopefully Eddie can tell us what made him go there?..:tiphat:

blondie
10-11-2015, 16:45
We only went because someone said it was a lovely sail to it and there was not an awful lot to do around where we were holidaying .
No it certainly wasn't the architecture just a lot of old derelict houses.

glassman
10-11-2015, 17:13
We were told it was also where Franco sent his injured soldiers to recuperate as well as a leper colony
But dont really know Always worth a visit on route to other places further up the coast

lynno52
10-11-2015, 17:33
I understand that it was started to be built in the 40's, however was not completed as treatment for leprosy improved so much that the colony was never used for it's intended purpose.
The military have used the completed buildings in the past. I have read that the buildings and land was all sold to an Italian in 2002 for development for tourists, which hasn't happened.

universal
10-11-2015, 18:22
Correct Lynno
see link for more info.............

http://www.diariodeavisos.com/2012/07/abades-sin-leprosos-y-sin-fantasmas/