PDA

View Full Version : Home and Garden 'Tenting' i.e.raised tiles

Margaretta
13-11-2015, 12:47
Hello, has anyone experienced 'tenting?'
My husband has arrived in our apartment to find two lines of floor tiles have risen in a line across a bedroom. The centre ones made a tent structure. We have inquired and apparently it's due to a change in the humidity: extreme heat and heavy rain. The tiles were laid in 2006 and apparently, if not enough expansion is allowed, the grout will give way. An American site states that grout is not the best thing for the tiles against the walls but caulk! I don't know the equivalent in Canarian ....does anyone here? Hubby can clear the grout and re-lay the tiles (none broken) but he would like to get the right adhesive so that this will not happen again. any advice much appreciated.

Sundowner
18-11-2015, 10:52
Hello, has anyone experienced 'tenting?'
My husband has arrived in our apartment to find two lines of floor tiles have risen in a line across a bedroom. The centre ones made a tent structure. We have inquired and apparently it's due to a change in the humidity: extreme heat and heavy rain. The tiles were laid in 2006 and apparently, if not enough expansion is allowed, the grout will give way. An American site states that grout is not the best thing for the tiles against the walls but caulk! I don't know the equivalent in Canarian ....does anyone here? Hubby can clear the grout and re-lay the tiles (none broken) but he would like to get the right adhesive so that this will not happen again. any advice much appreciated.

I would clean the tiles up and just relay them!

They lasted nearly 10 years.

There are ways of laying tiles so they don't do this but you would need to start from scratch.

Margaretta
18-11-2015, 12:44
Thank you Sundowner. Yes they will be re-laid but with the right adhesive. Apparently the translation of 'caulk' which expands and contracts is 'sellador'. We shall be looking for a 'grouting' which contains sellador.