PDA

View Full Version : Shopping at butchers

malagabob
20-11-2015, 09:22
What would the correct word for slice/slices when ordering cut meat I used to use lonches
but have come across rebanadas, when talking about sliced bread, and tajadas when talking about
sliced sausage.TIA

Malteser Monkey
20-11-2015, 09:33
If you google slices of bread it comes up with rodajas de pan but i have never heard that.

Trouble is Spanish and Canarian can be different with many words just like our own English

I'd stick with Lonches ! If you asked you would probably be given different answers

Malteser Monkey
20-11-2015, 10:19
But I am sure they would understand any of them and it will depend where you are. Here in the Canaries the Castillian is influenced more by South America than the peninsular. I mostly hear people asking for lonchas whatever they are buying.

Yep that's the Canaries

Sonivalle
13-01-2016, 11:20
What would the correct word for slice/slices when ordering cut meat I used to use lonches
but have come across rebanadas, when talking about sliced bread, and tajadas when talking about
sliced sausage.TIA

I guess that the word you are looking for is "filete". That's the word we use for each slide of beef, pork.... "Lonchas" is used for cheese, chorizo, ham.... Hope this helps!

vove
13-04-2016, 11:51
Depends what you are buying. For example if you buy lomo you can have it whole (entero), cut in fillets as Sonivalle says (filetes), cut in cubes (trozos) or mince it (picar).

But it really depends on what kind of meat you buy. Chicken breast is already a fillet (filete de pechuga de pollo), so if you want to have it cut in slices you have to ask the butcher to make "chuletas" and he/she will slice the chicken breast into 3-4 fillets. Yet, when you say "chuleta" alone it means another different thing, a chop, a piece of rib meat with a bone.

So, yeah, said it twice already but to emphasize it: it really depends on what you want to buy :)