PDA

View Full Version : Restaurants Update on Restaurants in Los Cristianos area

LindaD
25-11-2015, 00:34
I know this subject seems to be done to death, but recently I've read of a few bars/restaurant closing and just wondered what regular members on here would recommend in the Los Cristianos area. On the same note, perhaps also you could tell me where you would avoid!!!
We really liked The Olive Garden recommended by marbro8. I know you recommend Decappio and Linaris 2 Ecky Thump - hopefully they're all still there and open in December!

Ecky Thump
25-11-2015, 01:00
If your liking is for a good steak then the "Miami" restaurant offers a very good steak at a reasonable price, the sirloin steak with onions or a pepper sauce is my favourite, if I had to make any criticism, it would be that the service is too fast and you have to slow them down.
They also serve a good range of fresh fish, pasta, pork and lamb, salads dishes, again at a good quality and price.

LindaD
25-11-2015, 01:25
If your liking is for a good steak then the "Miami" restaurant offers a very good steak at a reasonable price, the sirloin steak with onions or a pepper sauce is my favourite, if I had to make any criticism, it would be that the service is too fast and you have to slow them down.
They also serve a good range of fresh fish, pasta, pork and lamb, salads dishes, again at a good quality and price.

Thanks Ecky, I'll definately will take a note of that one, sounds good! :yum:

ramnit
25-11-2015, 11:14
Ecky could you tell me where the Miami restaurant is please

Angusjim
25-11-2015, 11:26
I know this subject seems to be done to death, but recently I've read of a few bars/restaurant closing and just wondered what regular members on here would recommend in the Los Cristianos area. On the same note, perhaps also you could tell me where you would avoid!!!
We really liked The Olive Garden recommended by marbro8. I know you recommend Decappio and Linaris 2 Ecky Thump - hopefully they're all still there and open in December!

Linda always remember its Ecky for quality and Marbro for portion size:laugh:

Ecky Thump
25-11-2015, 11:32
Ecky could you tell me where the Miami restaurant is please

It's along the promenade at L/C directly opposite the old abanded villa.

Or walking down towards the sea from the church, turn left by the Burger King monstrosity and it's about 200 mtrs. from there.:laugh:

If there are two of you dining at the Miami restaurant, before your main course you will be served with a very large platter of salad, some people think a extra that they haven't ordered, it's included in the cost of your meal....some people send it back with the waitress thinking that it's at a extra cost!! :D

ramnit
25-11-2015, 12:07
Sounds good no starters required then, I will let you know if we like it we will defiantly try it when we are out 4/12/15 for a few days

marbro8
25-11-2015, 17:19
one restaurant i didn't review in october was bella roma. just past el mirador. past bar 39 towards the taxi rank.turn right up the hill past royal palm. then up the hill on the left again( you can see why they call it cardiac hill) and it is on the right. lovely meals and good service. not massive portions either Angusjim:D. just lovely pizza pasta steaks and fish:) also leo's italian on cc passarella opposite el mirador. fantastic italian. and manhattans on the other end of the complex. tomato soup to die for and my favorite. tuna salad. one place to avoid. because everyone you talk to has had a bad experience there is the taurus steak bar up towards the dinastia. we sat there one night. for about 30 mins without anyone coming near us. other people say they go there for the charcoal cooked steaks. but they are actually cooked over a gas flame. just something else to think about, the hotel paradise park up towards the castle harbour complex do an all inclusive day, you pay a one off €20 per adult and €15 per child. and for that you get the use of a sunbed with brolly. use of the lazy river pool. and all you can eat and drink. i think it is between the hours of 10.00am and 6.00pm?. we have friends who live on el mirador and they go there on weekends. because they say it makes them feel like they are on their holidays:laugh:

macdonald5
25-11-2015, 18:33
Los Cristianos : Our current likes ....The Ivy....well cooked and presented mainly British food at reasonable prices
Fortuna Nuevo ........Almost 'local' menu ....3 course very tasty meal €9,95
The Willows in Apollo Centre.......good choice of tapas Irish / Dutch style....great value €11.95 taster menu ( some 15 dishes)
Difficult to ecommend as change of chef etc changes the whole experience !!

marbro8
25-11-2015, 18:51
Los Cristianos : Our current likes ....The Ivy....well cooked and presented mainly British food at reasonable prices
Fortuna Nuevo ........Almost 'local' menu ....3 course very tasty meal €9,95
The Willows in Apollo Centre.......good choice of tapas Irish / Dutch style....great value €11.95 taster menu ( some 15 dishes)
Difficult the recommend as change of chef etc changes the whole experience !!we used to love the ivy. the waitress comes from halesowen just down the road from us. but the last time we visited. instead of the usual hand battered fish we got what looked and tasted like the frozen ones from the supermarket:(.and they sat us outside where all the local kids kept on kicking their football up the wall next to us. maybe just an off night? but as i have said before. just one poor night on a 2 week break is a wasted night. we have also tried the fortuna nova. on recommendation. but again we didn't like it. we didn't think that the food was very good quality. but the main problem was the way we were treated. you can tell the regulars by the way they are greeted and served. again this is only my opinion. we have spoken to many holidaymakers who love both places. so don't let me put anyone off. try them for yourselves:)

macdonald5
25-11-2015, 19:00
we used to love the ivy. the waitress comes from halesowen just down the road from us. but the last time we visited. instead of the usual hand battered fish we got what looked and tasted like the frozen ones from the supermarket:(.and they sat us outside where all the local kids kept on kicking their football up the wall next to us. maybe just an off night? but as i have said before. just one poor night on a 2 week break is a wasted night. we have also tried the fortuna nova. on recommendation. but again we didn't like it. we didn't think that the food was very good quality. but the main problem was the way we were treated. you can tell the regulars by the way they are greeted and served. again this is only my opinion. we have spoken to many holidaymakers who love both places. so don't let me put anyone off. try them for yourselves:)

Very true marbro8 you can only say as you find , and as most places that can change by the day
We change and move on if 'things' don't suit us

TOTO 99
25-11-2015, 21:28
Just come from the Overseas Chinese restaurant. Excellent as always and one I'm happy to recommend...

LindaD
25-11-2015, 21:48
Linda always remember its Ecky for quality and Marbro for portion size:laugh:

Hopefully I'll find a happy medium between both Angusjim:wink2:

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Thanks to everyone for your input, there's enough to keep us going for the duration of our holiday! I will certainly have a look at the ones you have all suggested. It's much better going on a recommendation as we stand and faf about before deciding which places to try. We've been to a few humdingers, that why it's great coming on here for your suggestions. Thanks again, and on our return I'll let you know what we thought! :tiphat:

bennoa1
25-11-2015, 22:37
We go to Miami Beach in LC which is almost opposite the abandoned wreck of a building on the beach (number 1). Been going over 20 years and its the same owner and family working there. Food always great and fresh. Now get the benefit of seeing the indian magician who is extremely funny. Didn't know he was a magician until we last went as he just seemed to walk up and down with his shopping trolley and swap his turban from end to end. Anyway the swordfish is fab if he has it and the salads are to die for - just go and have a look at the fridge near the back. Breakfast is pretty good too for less than 3 euros, all fresh and proper british bacon, not that streaky no meat European rubbish.

marbro8
26-11-2015, 01:03
Just come from the Overseas Chinese restaurant. Excellent as always and one I'm happy to recommend...only eaten there once. my favorite used to be the golden resource just opposite. but now a firm favorite is the treasure opposite the cristian sur.:)

essexeddie
26-11-2015, 11:03
We used to go to Miami Beach until they ripped an old couple off with their bill from our complex. They just laughed at them. Never been back since. Wouldnt touch them. I told them about it.

Ecky Thump
26-11-2015, 11:23
We used to go to Miami Beach until they ripped an old couple off with their bill from our complex. They just laughed at them. Never been back since. Wouldnt touch them. I told them about it.

An unfortunate incident to have happened and knowing the owners and staff there for nearly twenty years and seeing their family expand, I can't understand it. I can only say how it has been for us on the litteraly hundreds of occassions we have been there for a meal or just a drink...100% satisfaction with quality, cost and service, (apart from having to slow the service down!:D ).

bennoa1
26-11-2015, 11:47

Got to agree with Ecky as we must have been there 500+ times and never had an issue. We're usually there a couple of hours at a time and seen loads of people come and go and Manuelo would be horrified if he had seen this - he is very customer focussed as is his son Alejandro. We're the ones who try and sit on the front with plastic beer umbrella covers which everyone is fascinated with - really useful to keep the sun off and bits dropping in your drink and you can stick a straw through the centre for shorts drinkers. These ones:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Umbrella-Drinks-Covers-Set-of-4-/161349359631?hash=item25912bd80f:m:m5PiAGZpnyu6p7t UEwRJZJA

Fivepence
26-11-2015, 11:50
Eating out is like 'a box of chocolates':wink2:
I have lots of favourites but you never know...........
As a general rule, I steer clear of 3 courses for 9.95 menus, most are inedible.

bennoa1
26-11-2015, 13:56
As a general rule, I steer clear of 3 courses for 9.95 menus, most are inedible.

I tend to steer clear too as I'd rather just have a nice main meal. I don't tend to eat as much out there so a main meal is more than enough, need to leave space for beer. Have had the odd one but would be selective with my choices of location.

marbro8
26-11-2015, 18:24
An unfortunate incident to have happened and knowing the owners and staff there for nearly twenty years and seeing their family expand, I can't understand it. I can only say how it has been for us on the litteraly hundreds of occassions we have been there for a meal or just a drink...100% satisfaction with quality, cost and service, (apart from having to slow the service down!:D ).that's exactly why we have never returned Ecky Thump. the service was appalling. it was the tall thin guy. it made us feel like they just wanted us in and out. he never gave us any options with what potatoes we wanted with the mains. he got the starters wrong. and most of the mains. we were not offered sweets. i personally think it is expensive as well.when we were asked to come in a few nights later. my bro in law told them why we didn't want to experience it again. he took him in the back to show him how fresh the meat was???

LindaD
26-11-2015, 19:16

We found the Blue Cactus along at Fanabe beach to be very good for their 3 courses for 9:95. Told my OH not to expect too much but we were pleasantly surprised by what we got, good portion size and lovely presentation. We had often gone in there for a drink as we walked along the promenade and decided to have something to eat, we weren't disappointed. I know this isn't Los Cristianos but just pointing out that some of the 3 course meals are ok.

delderek
26-11-2015, 19:28
Very surprised no one has mentioned the original Fortuna. Consistent top quality for at least 21 years to my own knowledge (maybe longer).

marbro8
26-11-2015, 19:36
We found the Blue Cactus along at Fanabe beach to be very good for their 3 courses for 9:95. Told my OH not to expect too much but we were pleasantly surprised by what we got, good portion size and lovely presentation. We had often gone in there for a drink as we walked along the promenade and decided to have something to eat, we weren't disappointed. I know this isn't Los Cristianos but just pointing out that some of the 3 course meals are ok. my wife and her sister tried the €9.99 menu at linarie's 2 and as you have said they where pleasantly surprised. it is the same quality food. just smaller portions. but as you are having 3 courses it is just right:)

Very surprised no one has mentioned the original Fortuna. Consistent top quality for at least 21 years to my own knowledge (maybe longer).love the place. the lamb and the steaks are second to none. as is the service

macdonald5
26-11-2015, 20:49
Very surprised no one has mentioned the original Fortuna. Consistent top quality for at least 21 years to my own knowledge (maybe longer).
Loved the original Fortuna but was ssooooo embarrassed at the left over food , one of the reasons we like Fortuna Neuvo ,same family but smaller portions and even as a 3 course at€9.95 I don't take a dessert and enjoy

LindaD
26-11-2015, 21:00
Loved the original Fortuna but was ssooooo embarrassed at the left over food , one of the reasons we like Fortuna Neuvo ,same family but smaller portions and even as a 3 course at€9.95 I don't take a dessert and enjoy

Can I ask you where the Fortuna Nuevo is MacyD :tiphat:

bennoa1
26-11-2015, 21:26
that's exactly why we have never returned Ecky Thump. the service was appalling. it was the tall thin guy. it made us feel like they just wanted us in and out. he never gave us any options with what potatoes we wanted with the mains. he got the starters wrong. and most of the mains. we were not offered sweets. i personally think it is expensive as well.when we were asked to come in a few nights later. my bro in law told them why we didn't want to experience it again. he took him in the back to show him how fresh the meat was???

He's gone now but that leaves more tables for us, so thanks. Everyone has different tastes and preferences in the way items are cooked, so if we all liked the same thing one restaurant would be really busy and the rest bankrupt. I've tried a few of the recommendations on here (after joining and reading the forum which is great by the way) and to be honest they have been below average or worse. Must have eaten a couple of thousand times in the 20+ years we've been coming and I can count on one hand where I've had a really poor meal so most places aren't that bad so stick top places we know know in the main. If they weren't Ok or better they wouldn't be in business long. One of my other faves is Odissea in Puerto Colon but a long way from LC. My long time friend and waiter Louis works there which helps. Great place for beer in the day and decent food at night.

macdonald5
26-11-2015, 22:34
Of course LindaD...in centre of Los Cris..petrol station...behind Los Andreas hotel.... Take a left at Santander bank ...few minutes walk behind Andreas Hotel dining room ....past few locals .just before The Bistro looks like an outside garden area
Instead Of a sweet the baraquito coffee is lush
Poolside friends recommended it to us and we've been happy to use since

imablue
26-11-2015, 23:09
Not knocking any of the choices peeps have put on this thread ..but the real gems are out of the resorts ..if you can get to them.
It does seem to me that most who post on threads like this haven,t ventured further afield ..which is a shame really... some really fabulous places and gorgeous meals to be had in the likes of Valle San Lorenzo..just a bus ride or taxi from Los Cristianos.
Beach front in Las Gallestas..Pink Parrot ..Beachcomber.. they are both English owned ..but there are far more delightful eating places in the quaint place that it is ....
Great to be on the door step of where you may be staying but jump a bus and venture further afield see what the places can give you .

Andes
26-11-2015, 23:27
It's along the promenade at L/C directly opposite the old abanded villa.

If there are two of you dining at the Miami restaurant, before your main course you will be served with a very large platter of salad, some people think a extra that they haven't ordered, it's included in the cost of your meal....some people send it back with the waitress thinking that it's at a extra cost!! :D

Sounds great. I must say that there are a lot of great places in Los Cristianos area. La Taberna Rustica is good also and if you like Chinese food next to the Burger king is good buffet on Avenida Los Playeros.

bennoa1
26-11-2015, 23:42
I've been to a lot of places on the island and always try and do at least one place we haven't been before every time we go but sometimes on a long weekend we just stay local to maximise our time. Its easier when your there for a week or more.
The Anaga mountains are one of my favourites but it is a full day and you need to not be scared of heights but the scenery is stunning.
Personally I'd never eat Chinese or Indian whilst away as I do love the fish, steak (not sure why they cant cook one properly in the UK), cheese but chipirones/chocos are one of my favourites - with lots of salt.

AndreaB
26-11-2015, 23:48
We've been going to Tenerife s44 to 5 times a year since 1993... Miami Beach on the front in LC is perfection on a plate!

Angusjim
27-11-2015, 07:46

BurgerKing is great their fries are to die for, great service as well much better than the UK:whistle:

Malteser Monkey
27-11-2015, 08:46
Ya cannae beat a good Burrrrger king:whistle:

Ecky Thump
27-11-2015, 09:51
that's exactly why we have never returned Ecky Thump. the service was appalling. it was the tall thin guy. it made us feel like they just wanted us in and out. he never gave us any options with what potatoes we wanted with the mains. he got the starters wrong. and most of the mains. we were not offered sweets. i personally think it is expensive as well.when we were asked to come in a few nights later. my bro in law told them why we didn't want to experience it again. he took him in the back to show him how fresh the meat was???

It's a pity that such a good and successful restaurant as the Miami Beach is getting such a poor review due to one bad waiter who no longer works there, both the owner and his son would be appalled by this as they are both very professional and take pride in their dealings with customers.

Mark, at times I think problems occur through a language barrier and this could be why your brother in law was taken to the back of the restaurant and was shown the "fresh meat", I have met your brother in law several times and he has a very strong Midlands accent and at times I have problems understanding what he is saying and I'm not Spanish! As for you not being offered a pudding, the waiter probably new that you treat your body as a temple.!!! :D

Angusjim
27-11-2015, 13:28
It's a pity that such a good and successful restaurant as the Miami Beach is getting such a poor review due to one bad waiter who no longer works there, both the owner and his son would be appalled by this as they are both very professional and take pride in their dealings with customers.

Mark, at times I think problems occur through a language barrier and this could be why your brother in law was taken to the back of the restaurant and was shown the "fresh meat", I have met your brother in law several times and he has a very strong Midlands accent and at times I have problems understanding what he is saying and I'm not Spanish! As for you not being offered a pudding, the waiter probably new that you treat your body as a temple.!!! :D

Ecky must have got the job as their online PR when he was over, hope its not cash in hand:laugh::laugh:

fixer
27-11-2015, 14:44
The Shorthorn is our favourite in the Apollo Maria and Cundi always there to give you a warm welcome but its not Mc Donalds they don't do fast food here all cooked when you order on canarian wood oven.

Malteser Monkey
27-11-2015, 14:51
Anyone been to El Cine recently ?

Arona1
27-11-2015, 15:16
The Shorthorn is our favourite in the Apollo Maria and Cundi always there to give you a warm welcome but its not Mc Donalds they don't do fast food here all cooked when you order on canarian wood oven.

Been to Shorthorn many times and never disappointed, get there early as it fills up quickly

Ecky Thump
27-11-2015, 15:18
Ecky must have got the job as their online PR when he was over, hope its not cash in hand:laugh::laugh:

How else can I afford three months a year in Tenerife!!:-))

Anyone been to El Cine recently ?

I took the youngest Grandson last week to see James Bond's latest movie...great film!:D

Malteser Monkey
27-11-2015, 16:02

I took the youngest Grandson last week to see James Bond's latest movie...great film!:D

He speaks Canarian does he:twak::D

LindaD
27-11-2015, 16:08
I took the youngest Grandson last week to see James Bond's latest movie...great film!:D[/QUOTE]

Shhhhhhh, don't let Medman know you enjoyed it !!!!!!!! :D

marbro8
27-11-2015, 19:09

Mark, at times I think problems occur through a language barrier and this could be why your brother in law was taken to the back of the restaurant and was shown the "fresh meat", I have met your brother in law several times and he has a very strong Midlands accent and at times I have problems understanding what he is saying and I'm not Spanish! As for you not being offered a pudding, the waiter probably new that you treat your body as a temple.!!! :Dyou are right eric. we will give it another try in may. as you say the owner and his son have always treated us impeccably. and to boycott them after one bad service is harsh. i didn't know that the said waiter had gone. so no chance of a repeat. just as a precaution does anyone know where he is working now:laugh:

Not knocking any of the choices peeps have put on this thread ..but the real gems are out of the resorts ..if you can get to them.
It does seem to me that most who post on threads like this haven,t ventured further afield ..which is a shame really... some really fabulous places and gorgeous meals to be had in the likes of Valle San Lorenzo..just a bus ride or taxi from Los Cristianos.
Beach front in Las Gallestas..Pink Parrot ..Beachcomber.. they are both English owned ..but there are far more delightful eating places in the quaint place that it is ....
Great to be on the door step of where you may be staying but jump a bus and venture further afield see what the places can give you .i did start a thread a while back. highlighting the best restaurants outside the main resorts. and got some fantastic replies. you yourself posting some. and also bus routs to get there:tiphat:

imablue
27-11-2015, 19:23
Venture forth young man.... seek and ye shall find ....
Nothing like finding new places to go and eat in, here in Tenerife....:hungry::hungry:

macdonald5
27-11-2015, 20:31
Venture forth young man.... seek and ye shall find ....
Nothing like finding new places to go and eat in, here in Tenerife....:hungry::hungry:

We used to like the 'out of tourist' places, Cabo Blanco ....San Martin for many, many years ,unfortunately our last visit we were the only 4 eating in a dining area that seats some 300 !! Economic downturn
Valle San Lorenzo.....we ate at both Paraiso restuarants many times but both have now closed
Las Mosas we've always meant to try but as yet haven't
New bus timetables make the 416 and 418 not suitable from San Eugenio

imablue
27-11-2015, 20:53
Mac ..
Eras las Mozas is a definitely MUST try .. you will not be disappointed..
As said before.. to go and find these lovely places to eat, get out of the resorts...
I have more cards than a pack of 52 playing cards from these premises

marbro8
27-11-2015, 22:49
Mac ..
As said before.. to go and find these lovely places to eat, get out of the resorts...
I have more cards than a pack of 52 playing cards from these premisesany chance of sending them to us if we pm you our address:D:laugh:

tfs1
28-11-2015, 00:32
Mac ..

I agree Meson Eras Las Mozas is a very good place to try, typically canarian but speak english. Unless you are big eaters I would suggest you consider sharing the mains especially if you have ribs. If you do that you will normally get the course on one plate and then a plate each to use.

Went a week or so back with friends who go frequently and tried something they shared as they were not hungry - for me a mistake. Turned out to be as they described but clearly I wasnt listening too carefully - a big plate of about 15 small lamb bones with a morstal of lamb on each bone.

Just looked at the english menu on their website and it doesnt appear, presume its a Canarian dish ! Back to sharing a chicken dish, steak or a large plate of overhanging ribs in the future.

seanocelt
28-11-2015, 03:59
I agree Meson Eras Las Mozas is a very good place to try, typically canarian but speak english. Unless you are big eaters I would suggest you consider sharing the mains especially if you have ribs. If you do that you will normally get the course on one plate and then a plate each to use.

Went a week or so back with friends who go frequently and tried something they shared as they were not hungry - for me a mistake. Turned out to be as they described but clearly I wasnt listening too carefully - a big plate of about 15 small lamb bones with a morstal of lamb on each bone.

Just looked at the english menu on their website and it doesnt appear, presume its a Canarian dish ! Back to sharing a chicken dish, steak or a large plate of overhanging ribs in the future.
Echo that, took my sister, great food but lamb was pathetic just bones.

essexeddie
28-11-2015, 10:56
my wife and her sister tried the €9.99 menu at linarie's 2 and as you have said they where pleasantly surprised. it is the same quality food. just smaller portions. but as you are having 3 courses it is just right:)

love the place. the lamb and the steaks are second to none. as is the service

Have to agree with Fortuna and Linares. Both excellent, and we do eat out of the town often but you cant beat LC for choice.

BurgerKing is great their fries are to die for, great service as well much better than the UK:whistle:

Are you having a laugh. Ha ha

We saw that here in Tenerife last week.

junglejim
29-11-2015, 09:31
Mac ..
I´ve been to Las Mozas and enjoyed it , recently went to El Cordero and Rancho de Niño around Guargacho (need transport) which was great with Rancho de Niño being great value (House Red was excellent ).
Minibus for 7 €17 from San Eugenio .

lynno52
29-11-2015, 10:47
I´ve been to Las Mozas and enjoyed it , recently went to El Cordero and Rancho de Niño around Guargacho (need transport) which was great with Rancho de Niño being great value (House Red was excellent ).

I agree with you re Rancho de Nino. Been a couple of times. Used a lot by locals. Good, inexpensive canarian food.

Ecky Thump
29-11-2015, 11:26

We've now been to the Rancho de Nino three times and like you found it to be great value (worth the taxi fare) and very good quality food, as for the vino, I would have to ask the wife!! :D

essexeddie
29-11-2015, 13:34
http://lm.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.yousignanimals.org%2FBurg er-King-admits-to-using-HORSE-MEAT-in-their-burgers-and-whoppers-SIGN-AND-SHARE-t-5189&h=pAQH-loXL&enc=AZOMIcLVxtAe8kZzz6pTn4og6IJFgGy4VgvcjoUHoc7evo un6oTAVwtWJ_8pSRlFqJWc8rilaMh5Lzamvr3ssBA3kwitHIlq 6UQ9G0bcM5036UgPgNc7sP2Z6NwRbXj-hyTpggdShbWXb7UDYOarrv_fQ7vCPOovqppVdtDvNfbJog&s=1 Burger king have admitted useing horse meat.

TOTO 99
29-11-2015, 13:38
http://lm.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.yousignanimals.org%2FBurg er-King-admits-to-using-HORSE-MEAT-in-their-burgers-and-whoppers-SIGN-AND-SHARE-t-5189&h=pAQH-loXL&enc=AZOMIcLVxtAe8kZzz6pTn4og6IJFgGy4VgvcjoUHoc7evo un6oTAVwtWJ_8pSRlFqJWc8rilaMh5Lzamvr3ssBA3kwitHIlq 6UQ9G0bcM5036UgPgNc7sP2Z6NwRbXj-hyTpggdShbWXb7UDYOarrv_fQ7vCPOovqppVdtDvNfbJog&s=1 Burger king have admitted useing horse meat.

Neigh....surely not....:laugh:......That link isn't working by the way Eddie..

LindaD
29-11-2015, 22:19

That's ok Angusjim just likes the fries :)

essexeddie
29-11-2015, 22:33
That's ok Angusjim just likes the fries :)

Neigh....surely not....:laugh:......That link isn't working by the way Eddie..

I've just tapped it and it works?

lynno52
30-11-2015, 11:28

Doesn't work on my laptop but works on my phone:dontknow:

macdonald5
30-11-2015, 11:33
Doesn't work on my laptop but works on my phone:dontknow:o

Doesn't work on my IPad either

BobMac
30-11-2015, 16:28

Doesn't work directly on my Android tablet - it returns a window saying that something has gone wrong and offers 2 options

A} go back
B} follow the link, which then goes to the page.

essexeddie
30-11-2015, 17:44
Must admit I'm not too keen on these Spanish restaurants that just sling piles of meat on the table. Not a lot of finesse. I also find the meat dry and all tasting the same.

marbro8
30-11-2015, 18:01
Must admit I'm not too keen on these Spanish restaurants that just sling piles of meat on the table. Not a lot of finesse. I also find the meat dry and all tasting the same.that's it. i'm sticking to mc'donalds burger king and subway then. at least it's consistent:lol:

Andes
09-12-2015, 13:56
that's it. i'm sticking to mc'donalds burger king and subway then. at least it's consistent:lol:

:lol:
Does they really using horse meat :doh:

There are some lovely places to eat but you need to get out of the resorts...

Ecky Thump
09-12-2015, 15:45
I
that's it. i'm sticking to mc'donalds burger king and subway then. at least it's consistent:lol:

:lol:
Does they really using horse meat :doh:

The only thing that you can hopefully guarantee is that what your eating is dead!! :D

LindaD
05-01-2016, 23:08
Thought I would just give you an update on the restaurants we used:-
Linares 11 - had the 3 course, very well presented and just enough.
Decappo - 3 course was excellent, but I've never had so much tomato on my bruschetta, couldn't see the bread! All very nice at 9.95e
Olive Garden - ate there a few times, always good. New place at Passerrelle centre is lovely, sells bread, pies etc.
Harriet's Tea Room - couple,of nice meals there, pleasant staff too
Mongolian - excellent, watched the food being cooked, have as little or as much as you like 3 courses 11.95e
Miami Beach - was ok, but perhaps that's just what we chose to eat that night! Sorry Ecky!
Fortuna Neuvo - put off by rude staff member who wanted us to move from our table for 4 into a table for 2 outside the main bit, in case it got busy she said!! It didn't !!!!! Anyway meal was fine, starter of Greek salad was huge, my chicken dish was fine as was the potatoes but didn't get any veg with it!
Mercadona Supermarket - bought 2 steaks from there and cooked them, excellent!!!!!! 4e for the two!
Baked potato vans near culture centre/police station at Los Cris. Excellent huge baked potatoes with five fillings if wanted and a soft drink in a tin or carton 4e. Excellent too!!
Next year we will not be booking Christmas dinner anywhere as it was just too much, we would just go for an every day meal from any of the many restaurants that were open on Christmas Day but not having a special menu as such.
That's it folks, but as many of you have said its just a matter of everyone's personal opinion. I don't think there's many places that offer a bad meal, well maybe - Burger King :laugh: We have become ice cream addicts while we were there and not all are the same either, well that's another story :yum:

marbro8
06-01-2016, 20:06
you do realize that you will now be accused of over eating after posting that LindaD:laugh:

Lofty
06-01-2016, 22:10
We ate in the Ivy House in Los Cris last night, was excellent. The belly pork there is amazing.

marbro8
06-01-2016, 22:16
We ate in the Ivy House in Los Cris last night, was excellent. The belly pork there is amazing.i used to love the ivy house. until they substituted the fresh battered fish for something you get out of iceland

LindaD
07-01-2016, 00:39
you do realize that you will now be accused of over eating after posting that LindaD:laugh:

Guilty as charged marbro8 but hey, I was there for 4 weeks :yum::laugh:

Malteser Monkey
07-01-2016, 10:27
Thought I would just give you an update on the restaurants we used:-
Linares 11 - had the 3 course, very well presented and just enough.
Decappo - 3 course was excellent, but I've never had so much tomato on my bruschetta, couldn't see the bread! All very nice at 9.95e
Olive Garden - ate there a few times, always good. New place at Passerrelle centre is lovely, sells bread, pies etc.
Harriet's Tea Room - couple,of nice meals there, pleasant staff too
Mongolian - excellent, watched the food being cooked, have as little or as much as you like 3 courses 11.95e
Miami Beach - was ok, but perhaps that's just what we chose to eat that night! Sorry Ecky!
Fortuna Neuvo - put off by rude staff member who wanted us to move from our table for 4 into a table for 2 outside the main bit, in case it got busy she said!! It didn't !!!!! Anyway meal was fine, starter of Greek salad was huge, my chicken dish was fine as was the potatoes but didn't get any veg with it!
Mercadona Supermarket - bought 2 steaks from there and cooked them, excellent!!!!!! 4e for the two!
Baked potato vans near culture centre/police station at Los Cris. Excellent huge baked potatoes with five fillings if wanted and a soft drink in a tin or carton 4e. Excellent too!!
Next year we will not be booking Christmas dinner anywhere as it was just too much, we would just go for an every day meal from any of the many restaurants that were open on Christmas Day but not having a special menu as such.
That's it folks, but as many of you have said its just a matter of everyone's personal opinion. I don't think there's many places that offer a bad meal, well maybe - Burger King :laugh: We have become ice cream addicts while we were there and not all are the same either, well that's another story :yum:

:crazy::cheeky:

Spud u gusta

macdonald5
07-01-2016, 11:49
We ate in the Ivy House in Los Cris last night, was excellent. The belly pork there is amazing.

Is The Ivy House in square next to Lakeland tearoom and near Devon Arms pub ?
I thought it was only The Ivy .....perhaps two different ??

Lofty
07-01-2016, 19:34
Is The Ivy House in square next to Lakeland tearoom and near Devon Arms pub ?
I thought it was only The Ivy .....perhaps two different ??

That's the one. I must have got it wrong. Sorry

We also ate at Harriet's (daytime) in Los Cris, wasn't overly impressed with that though.
Cracking breakfast with black pudding at the queen Vic pub too plus I've already said on another thread that the curry at Asian City was excellent.

macdonald5
07-01-2016, 19:42
That's the one. I must have got it wrong. Sorry

We also ate at Harriet's (daytime) in Los Cris, wasn't overly impressed with that though.
Cracking breakfast with black pudding at the queen Vic pub too plus I've already said on another thread that the curry at Asian City was excellent.

Thanks Lofty , that clears up ....our friend loves belly pork and we've eaten some good meals at The Ivy ....chicken curry good if don't nt like too spicy .........Deciding when to visit again

ellie.wheeler
07-01-2016, 19:57
Bubak opposite churchills superb service and food free baileys to complete the meal and I've heard Balti Balti is the best Indian so will give it a try next time. [emoji8]

Carol55
07-01-2016, 20:03
Bubak opposite churchills superb service and food free baileys to complete the meal and I've heard Balti Balti is the best Indian so will give it a try next time. [emoji8]

The Balti Balti is our favourite Indian restaurant in the El Mirador area and the lamb served there is unbelievably tender, beware of the Indian restaurant next door to Bo Jangles.

tfs1
07-01-2016, 21:22
The Balti Balti is our favourite Indian restaurant in the El Mirador area and the lamb served there is unbelievably tender, beware of the Indian restaurant next door to Bo Jangles.

The lamb is indeed sooooo tender, mmmmmmm lamb rojan josh - only a week or so before we are back !

MaureenR
14-04-2016, 21:13
My husband and I always used to avoid the 3 course set meals too, that is until one night I wasnt feeling too well and we went into Charly Bar just to have a coffee. We looked at the menu both a la carte and the fixed price one and both seemed to be good value. We spoke to some people who were dining there and they praised the fixed price menu. They dont serve the most massive portions on the fixed price menu but it is all great quality. Needless to say we go there regularly now, great value and great quality.

Ecky Thump
14-04-2016, 21:27
The Balti Balti is our favourite Indian restaurant in the El Mirador area and the lamb served there is unbelievably tender,.

Now I know why you send me out for the day on my own when you say you are going to cook me a special Indian meal and that it takes you hours to prepare. The truth is that you have been... :sunbathe: :vodkamachine:

Angusjim
12-12-2016, 14:43
Thanks Lofty , that clears up ....our friend loves belly pork and we've eaten some good meals at The Ivy ....chicken curry good if don't nt like too spicy .........Deciding when to visit again

Fit like Mrs Mac took your advice and visited the Ivy excellent food and great friendly service we will return:tiphat:

Ecky Thump
12-12-2016, 16:12

Update on the awful Indian restaurant previously next door to Bo Jangles.....its gone out of business!!

essexeddie
12-12-2016, 17:53
beware of the Indian restaurant next door to Bo Jangles.

Yes confirmed its not there anymore. There is a new restaurant there now.

Ecky Thump
12-12-2016, 18:02
Yes confirmed its not there anymore. There is a new restaurant there now.

I can't think of the name of it, but they already have a restaurant only about 100 metres from it, very close to Taylor's Lounge, whoever owns it must be doing ok.

Maybe if LindaD walks by she will notice it's name.

Law
12-12-2016, 18:46

Update on the awful Indian restaurant previously next door to Bo Jangles.....its gone out of business!!

no he has moved to torviscas seen him in hyper dinos and told me had a new place

Ecky Thump
12-12-2016, 18:59
no he has moved to torviscas seen him in hyper dinos and told me had a new place

Let's hope that he is sucseesful that his new premises, as we tried it on the el Mirador strip on a few occasions and to be brutally honest the meals were terrible and generally the place was just about empty, unlike the Balti Balti which has always appeared to be busy.
I have to add that the owner/manager was always pleasant and said hello every time that we passed by.

Red
12-12-2016, 22:15
It was called Harish Tandoori - it was without doubt the worst Indian food I've ever eaten. Ordered two different curries that were identical in taste and appalling. Ordered a bottle of vina sol which they brought to table already opened, the contents were like vinegar. A couple of nights later when passing, they tried to get us in. I told him how poor his food was and the wine con and that I wouldn't eat in there if he paid the bill and gave me a tip. He didn't comment. Which strangely enough was the same reaction we got when we told them during and after the meal. This must have been 4-5 years ago...I'm amazed it's taken so long to go out of business. Everytime I pass the place I feel sorry for the poor mugs who are eating in there, that said, I've barely seen anyone in. Balti Balti is nice but I much prefer Sher y Punjab. Rani's PDLA is also very good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ecky Thump
12-12-2016, 22:25
It was called Harish Tandoori - it was without doubt the worst Indian food I've ever eaten. Ordered two different curries that were identical in taste and appalling. Ordered a bottle of vina sol which they brought to table already opened, the contents were like vinegar. A couple of nights later when passing, they tried to get us in. I told him how poor his food was and the wine con and that I wouldn't eat in there if he paid the bill and gave me a tip. He didn't comment. Which strangely enough was the same reaction we got when we told them during and after the meal. This must have been 4-5 years ago...I'm amazed it's taken so long to go out of business. Everytime I pass the place I feel sorry for the poor mugs who are eating in there, that said, I've barely seen anyone in. Balti Balti is nice but I much prefer Sher y Punjab. Rani's PDLA is also very good

Where is the Sher y Punjab situated?

The last time that we were in the Harish Tandoori, we had Chicken Pakora for a starter and it was vile, I complained, the waiter took it away and returned a few minutes later with it and said there was no problom with it, it was only the batter that had soured!!....we didn't eat it.:cry:
Then when the main course arrived which was Lamb Buryani and it had three very small bits of lamb, once again, I complained, he had a brilliant built in excuse "Lamb is very expensive" - now guess who walked out without any payment and still hadn't eaten anything?? :D

Red
12-12-2016, 22:57
Punjab is in the little square where the Roast House used to be. On the left as you walk in the square. Dail Fountain bar is across from it. Bernie does the best Guinness you'll get outside of Ireland. At the back of the menu you'll find their 3 courses for 12.95€. Lovely food in a lovely spotless restaurant.

Red
12-12-2016, 22:58
(12.95€ is for Punjab not the Irish bar)

Ecky Thump
12-12-2016, 23:08
(12.95€ is for Punjab not the Irish bar)

I know the place now and my son and his wife (Balti Balti fans) had a lovely meal there only last week and I remember that every time that we walked through the square, the staff were cleaning around the seating area, it always looked spotless!

tfs1
13-12-2016, 08:14
We too have had a few nice meals at the Punjab. Sadly the last wasn't too good.

My lamb rogan josh was sooooo heavily spiced with the hottest of spices (and I dont mind spicy food) it was too hot to eat and made my lips tingle and mouth burn. After 2 tries at eating it I gave up and mentioned it to the staff thinking I may have been given the wrong order ie the hottest curry in the world rather than a rogan josh - they said I had the right dish.

They were very good and I did suggest they have a spoonful to see I wasnt having them on but they declined - well not in front of me anyway. Regretably the replacement had no taste at all. Nice staff.

Red
14-12-2016, 01:08
They almost certainly dropped the chilli powder in that one by the sound of it. We always take the chicken tikka rogan josh and it's unlike any rogan josh weve eaten as they finish it with a swirl of yoghurt. So it's mild to medium spiced. They don't have a tandoor oven but the tikka and sheek kebab are very good. A couple of years back, as we were finishing our meal around 11pm (we were the last table eating) a party of Indian families arrived for a celebration. We were told this would go on until 3-4am and that they were families who live on the island. Interesting they chose Punjab.

tfs1
16-12-2016, 20:56
They almost certainly dropped the chilli powder in that one by the sound of it. We always take the chicken tikka rogan josh and it's unlike any rogan josh weve eaten as they finish it with a swirl of yoghurt. So it's mild to medium spiced. They don't have a tandoor oven but the tikka and sheek kebab are very good. A couple of years back, as we were finishing our meal around 11pm (we were the last table eating) a party of Indian families arrived for a celebration. We were told this would go on until 3-4am and that they were families who live on the island. Interesting they chose Punjab.

In an idle moment this evening I was looking around tripadvisor at different places and found this regarding the same Indian place I had a big problem with my Rogan Josh dish and a little surprised to find this from a post earlier in the year and it wasnt from me !

Rogan Josh didn't look like any I had had before and although supposed to be a medium dish was very hot, they did change it for a milder dish but neither tasted like Rogan Josh which I have had many times before

Red
17-12-2016, 12:58
It's definitely different to the rogan josh I'm familiar with. Rogan josh is usually more tomato based like a madras. Still a great curry tho......at least it is when they get it right! All restaurants have their own version of each curry. My favourite Indian in Manchester is Rajdoot (actually Nepalese) thief lamb rogan josh is stunning but nothing not even close to what I would class a rogan josh. But their signature dish of Makhan Chicken is exquisite. If ever in Mancunia folks you should try it. In fact, I'll be getting about £50 worth of take away from there on Christmas Eve as is our tradition.

Carol55
17-12-2016, 13:23
In an idle moment this evening I was looking around tripadvisor at different places and found this regarding the same Indian place I had a big problem with my Rogan Josh dish and a little surprised to find this from a post earlier in the year and it wasnt from me !

Rogan Josh didn't look like any I had had before and although supposed to be a medium dish was very hot, they did change it for a milder dish but neither tasted like Rogan Josh which I have had many times before

We were in Dublin a few years ago for our wedding anniversary and we went to a Indian restaurant in the Temple Bar area and I ordered Biryani, it was what could only be described as a 'thick splodge' of rice with bits of chicken thighs in it, when I told them it wasn't a Biryani the reply I received was given in a thick Irish brogue ""No Madam, what you mean is that you have never had a Biryani like we make them!"", well I couldn't argue with that logic. :D

Red
17-12-2016, 14:01
My brother once told me about a Italian restaurant he went to in Saltburn. He'd ordered a chicken dish. Whilst waiting and waiting and waiting and witnessing stressed waiters and customers, his chicken finally arrived.....uncooked in the middle. Hungry and angry he signalled for the owner to come to the table. He showed him the raw chicken and told him he'd waited an hour etc and that the whole evening had been ruined. The owner replied....'you think you've got problems, that microwave cost me £900 and we can't use it properly'

LindaD
31-12-2016, 00:19
I can't think of the name of it, but they already have a restaurant only about 100 metres from it, very close to Taylor's Lounge, whoever owns it must be doing ok.

Maybe if LindaD walks by she will notice it's name.

Can't say I noticed a new restaurant Ecky Thump but the Martini restaurant that was there has now changed names to something like Brevit? Looks the same just a new name ???

Angusjim
31-12-2016, 07:52
Can't say I noticed a new restaurant Ecky Thump but the Martini restaurant that was there has now changed names to something like Brevit? Looks the same just a new name ???

Is Martinis now doon beside the webcam in Los Cristianos :dontknow:

LindaD
31-12-2016, 11:54
Is Martinis now doon beside the webcam in Los Cristianos :dontknow:

Yip it is AJ - right next door to Linares II.

Red Devil
31-12-2016, 15:20
One restaurant I intend trying is called Me Gusta in Los Cris, on street near childrens playground, facing Admiral travel.
This was recommended to me by a german man who has lived in Tenerife for last 15 years and who seems to know every place there is!
He says they do a 3 course special at 7.95 and the food is some of the best he has had, there is a very nice Swiss PR outside who is not at all pushy, so that sounds a very promising one to try, I always like to get recommendations from the locals.
Reviews on Trip Advisor are excellent.
Has anyone else been there?

Red
01-01-2017, 13:20
Never been to Me Gusta but I know the place. I've stopped and inspected the menu a few times but never eaten as the missus isn't convinced from the outside. I look forward to your assessment. There used to be a superb Swiss/Irish restaurant called Atlantic (20 years ago) down near patch. The food was superb, especially the lamb with rosti.

Ecky Thump
01-01-2017, 13:28
Yip it is AJ - right next door to Linares II.

I wonder if it's now Chinese owned, it appears that they are buying (renting) many other restaurants Los Cristianos, but they leave them to operate much like previous owners did with, but improvements to the fixtures and fittings, also where needed the menus become more extensive.

They now run The Cottage, Linaris II and Charlie's, plus others.

Red
01-01-2017, 17:26
The Chinese run places are not for me. My dad told me to try la tasca 7 for the tapas......tried it but won't be going again enough said. It's happening on the Algarve, but it's Indians renting in very popular tourist locations but trying to do Portuguese food, English brekkers etc. You don't really notice until you've sat down and ordered. Every year, more and more are changing hands. It's now a case of checking places out each time we sit down. A lot of the ex-pats out there blankly refuse to use the places as they are not employing local staff. Same for me.

tfs1
01-01-2017, 17:35
I wonder if it's now Chinese owned, it appears that they are buying (renting) many other restaurants Los Cristianos, but they leave them to operate much like previous owners did with, but improvements to the fixtures and fittings, also where needed the menus become more extensive.

They now run The Cottage, Linaris II and Charlie's, plus others.

Chinese owned and run by a lovely hard working lady. If you want food fast stay away, can take ages

Went a few weeks ago, luckily I had a chicken dish and my wife and friends had the steak, big mistake it was tough, she blamed the butcher, and earlier when some other friends went and also had the steak blamed the blunt knives ! You could agrue what do you expect when paying around 8€ for a 3 course meal but again you do want something you can eat.

Red
01-01-2017, 17:49
You're right, she was a lovely lady as was the PR outside. Gave the kids toys after the meal. The place was really busy and it was a very good atmosphere. Lovely location too. But for me, the food poor. My dads out there now for his annual winter stay and he drops in for a coffee most days due the location and his liking for the staff. But I think he's now stopped eating in there.

Red
01-01-2017, 18:15
Another Chinese run place that's always busy is Bubax. Never been but seems very popular. There's a review on Tripadvisor about Choukys down near the McDonald's. Spanish family run for years but now leased/owned by Chinese. It's a pretty bad review from when it changed hands submitted by ex regular customers. Reviews since that are the usual mixed bag but with its location, choukys will visited by tourists rather than locals and regular visitors. Seems a shame if places like that change hands but the temptation to sell/lease in such prominent locations must huge. Money talks.

Does anyone remember a bloke called Phil (from Leeds I recall) who owned Mirador on the front in LC? Around 15 years back? I was never convinced he owned the place but once told me his dream was to sell the local to a McDonalds or other fast food outlet. It's now Spanish run and I haven't seen him since.

delderek
01-01-2017, 19:38
Another Chinese run place that's always busy is Bubax. Never been but seems very popular. There's a review on Tripadvisor about Choukys down near the McDonald's. Spanish family run for years but now leased/owned by Chinese. It's a pretty bad review from when it changed hands submitted by ex regular customers. Reviews since that are the usual mixed bag but with its location, choukys will visited by tourists rather than locals and regular visitors. Seems a shame if places like that change hands but the temptation to sell/lease in such prominent locations must huge. Money talks.

Does anyone remember a bloke called Phil (from Leeds I recall) who owned Mirador on the front in LC? Around 15 years back? I was never convinced he owned the place but once told me his dream was to sell the local to a McDonalds or other fast food outlet. It's now Spanish run and I haven't seen him since.

Do you mean the Miramar. Yup he always said he was the owner, but think he got divorced, and seems his wife owned it, and chucked him out. Its still going. Always amazed me how extensive the menu was, from a tiny little kitchen the size of a broom cupboard. But the food was always very good.

Ecky Thump
01-01-2017, 22:12
The Chinese run places are not for me. My dad told me to try la tasca 7 for the tapas......tried it but won't be going again enough said. It's happening on the Algarve, but it's Indians renting in very popular tourist locations but trying to do Portuguese food, English brekkers etc. You don't really notice until you've sat down and ordered. Every year, more and more are changing hands. It's now a case of checking places out each time we sit down. A lot of the ex-pats out there blankly refuse to use the places as they are not employing local staff. Same for me.

If you take Linaris ll, Charley's and the Cottage as a example in Los Cristianos, all the waiters and waitresses are Spanish and three of the waiting staff at Linaris ll were previously employed at Charlettes, but the Chinese employers at Linaris gave them a better contract.
I did notice that some of the kitchen staff are Chinese, but the food has been the of a very high quality level and the restaurant is spotlessly clean.

Red
01-01-2017, 23:14
Do you mean the Miramar. Yup he always said he was the owner, but think he got divorced, and seems his wife owned it, and chucked him out. Its still going. Always amazed me how extensive the menu was, from a tiny little kitchen the size of a broom cupboard. But the food was always very good.

Delderek, you're bang on. Was miramar. We were sat there one evening (15 years ago before kids) having a jug of sangria before getting a taxi to meson las rejas in La Camella. Phil was intrigued as to why we weren't ordering food with him. He then started producing little taster dishes from the kitchen that his wife had cooked (free of charge) They were lovely Spanish dishes that were not on the menu. It kind of got into a point scoring session about restaurants that were out of the resorts. I have to give him credit for Valaques in La Camella. Back then it was superb. No menus, just salad and pork chops or chicken with chips and vino casa. Dirt cheap, brilliant food and packed out with locals, backpackers, brits, Germans etc. Sadly, last time I went we were the only table eating in what was a huge restaurant. (Don't know if it's still open)

Red
02-01-2017, 00:44
If you take Linaris ll, Charley's and the Cottage as a example in Los Cristianos, all the waiters and waitresses are Spanish and three of the waiting staff at Linaris ll were previously employed at Charlettes, but the Chinese employers at Linaris gave them a better contract.
I did notice that some of the kitchen staff are Chinese, but the food has been the of a very high quality level and the restaurant is spotlessly clean.

That's good to know Ecky. I don't eat in the restaurants you mention but am glad to hear that Canarians are being employed. This subject can be a bit of a rats nest and get far too political. But for me, apart from a English breakfast, that's the only time I'll eat in a British establishment when I'm abroad (I'll gladly have a beer though in any bar) If I'm eating Indian, I want Indian owners/chefs. Same with Spanish, chinese, Italian (my argument falls down with piccolo here) Thai, French etc. Example. We love Kiki Riki in the apolo centre. There is/was a Irish/Dutch tapas bar in there called The Willows. Great reviews on TA and constantly in the top 3 for LC. But apart from possibly having a pint of Guinness in there, I wouldn't touch the place. Probably food snobbery I know, but if i want tapas, I'll go eat where the locals eat.

macdonald5
02-01-2017, 01:10
We've recently eaten again at Kiki Riki in the Apollo Centre and despite the very cold night we enjoyed the meal...half roast chicken ,creamed spinach etc all superb
The Willows in Apollo Centre has been closed for some months now.....Mark the Irish owner posted that it was 'unstanstainable'

LindaD
02-01-2017, 01:11
That's good to know Ecky. I don't eat in the restaurants you mention but am glad to hear that Canarians are being employed. This subject can be a bit of a rats nest and get far too political. But for me, apart from a English breakfast, that's the only time I'll eat in a British establishment when I'm abroad (I'll gladly have a beer though in any bar) If I'm eating Indian, I want Indian owners/chefs. Same with Spanish, chinese, Italian (my argument falls down with piccolo here) Thai, French etc. Example. We love Kiki Riki in the apolo centre. There is/was a Irish/Dutch tapas bar in there called The Willows. Great reviews on TA and constantly in the top 3 for LC. But apart from possibly having a pint of Guinness in there, I wouldn't touch the place. Probably food snobbery I know, but if i want tapas, I'll go eat where the locals eat.

The Willows is still open in the Apollo Centre well at least it was last week. It didn't look too busy though so don't know if it has the same owners.
Kikiriki looks very nice too although I didn't try it, they have a special offer on Sundays, 40% off their menu on Sundays between 1pm and 5pm - (not exactly sure on those times! ). Will be putting it on my list for next visit to Tenerife!

We've recently eaten again at Kiki Riki in the Apollo Centre and despite the very cold night we enjoyed the meal...half roast chicken ,creamed spinach etc all superb
The Willows in Apollo Centre has been closed for some months now.....Mark the Irish owner posted that it was 'unstanstainable'

Oh dear I hope Im talking about the same one MacyD - the Willows is the one inside the apollo Centre right across from the charity shop on the ground level. If it is this one it was definitely open but, as I say, it didn't look particularly busy.

cheery
02-01-2017, 10:44
My view, for what it's worth, is look at the size of the menu to judge the quality of the food. If it is just like reading a phone book then the quality will be questionable. How can many of the ingredients be anywhere near fresh? You want a base menu with a variation using the same ingredients. I agree that small kitchens can turn out good food, it's the chef who makes it that counts, but storage for the kitchen must be very close at hand or the chef can't keep an eye on the cooking, assuming that it's a small 'restaurant' with minimal staff. There are exceptions but generally this will be the case.

martincrabb99
02-01-2017, 10:49
My view, for what it's worth, is look at the size of the menu to judge the quality of the food. If it is just like reading a phone book then the quality will be questionable. How can many of the ingredients be anywhere near fresh? You want a base menu with a variation using the same ingredients. I agree that small kitchens can turn out good food, it's the chef who makes it that counts, but storage for the kitchen must be very close at hand or the chef can't keep an eye on the cooking, assuming that it's a small 'restaurant' with minimal staff. There are exceptions but generally this will be the case.

I agree, I much prefer a smaller menu for the very reasons you outline...plus it doesn't tax my brain!!

macdonald5
02-01-2017, 14:18
Linda
The Willows is still open in the Apollo Centre

Oh dear I hope Im talking about the same one MacyD - the Willows is the one inside the apollo Centre right across from the charity shop on the ground level. If it is this one it was definitely open but, as I say, it didn't look particularly busy.

Hi Linda, well the plot thickens about The Willows, it was closed in October and last week when we were along at Kiki Riki ...might have been just that night
The Willows website says 'closed '
Will need to check again if along that way
Must say that we all enjoyed the Kiki Riki meals and very pleasant staff

Red Devil
02-01-2017, 15:35

You're spot on there - think thats why I always return to El Cine, small menu but everything cooked fresh.

Red
02-01-2017, 20:58
Linda

Hi Linda, well the plot thickens about The Willows, it was closed in October and last week when we were along at Kiki Riki ...might have been just that night

I was told the the owner announced on Facebook that he couldn't justify keeping the business going. I don't the location helped and many reviews I read commented on this. The Apolo center is a bit of eye sore but the Willows was probably worst placed being inside it.
Kiki Riki and it's neighbouring restaurants can and do overcome this by being on the outside serving good food. Kiki now have the guy from the superb La Cava working for them. On our last visit, Kiki had introduced red cabbage (always served at la Cava) we joked with him he should introduce the la Cava mash and fried onions with their steaks. Am hoping he influences the owners to introduce the above. The Kiki owners seem very cute in their business plan. I believe the owner/chef worked at El Sol. He's copied the el sol signature dish (Arseienne chicken - spelt wrongly no doubt) with the accompanying sauces, Spinach gratin etc and created a very good establishment. I believe the food either side of Kiki (shorthorn & Porchetta) are very good too although I yet to try them.

LindaD
02-01-2017, 22:51
Linda

I've never been in the Apollo Centre in the evenings so it may be that it just opens through the day? We were inside the Apollo Centre quite a few times during the day while we were in Tenerife and it was always open then. Hopefully someone will know what's going on MacyD and fill us in :dontknow::dontknow:

Red
04-01-2017, 22:26
I've never been in the Apollo Centre in the evenings so it may be that it just opens through the day? We were inside the Apollo Centre quite a few times during the day while we were in Tenerife and it was always open then. Hopefully someone will know what's going on MacyD and fill us in :dontknow::dontknow:

Mystery solved.
Just read on tripadvisor that the Willows has reopened as another tapas bar under Danish ownership.
Tapas, Danish tapas and burgers etc.

Sounds an odd menu in a difficult location. Only very good food will ensure it survives. Be interesting to watch what happens and I wish them good luck.

LindaD
05-01-2017, 00:43
Mystery solved.
Just read on tripadvisor that the Willows has reopened as another tapas bar under Danish ownership.
Tapas, Danish tapas and burgers etc.

Sounds an odd menu in a difficult location. Only very good food will ensure it survives. Be interesting to watch what happens and I wish them good luck.

Thanks for that at least we know what's going on with it. Unfortunately at the moment it doesn't seem to be very busy but hopefully it will pick up. I don't think I saw any advertising for it from outside the Apollo Centre to entice people in. Will have a look in May when we return to Tenerife.

macdonald5
05-01-2017, 13:47
The Willows is still open in the Apollo Centre well at least it was last week. It didn't look too busy though so don't know if it has the same owners.
Kikiriki looks very nice too although I didn't try it, they have a special offer on Sundays, 40% off their menu on Sundays between 1pm and 5pm - (not exactly sure on those times! ). Will be putting it on my list for next visit to Tenerife!

Hi Linda...update on The Willows as of yesterday....Mark (Irish ex Casa Tres) did close The Willows but a Norwegian chap has recently reopened it as same name we looked in last evening ,similar tapas menu as before but everything priced individually not the €11.95 taster menu with about 15 dishes.....little wonder Mark had to give up !!
Place looked clean and tidy and the Norwegian chap very pleasant but the location leaves a lot to be desired
Kiki Riki excellent again and packed

LindaD
05-01-2017, 23:41
Hi Linda...update on The Willows as of yesterday....Mark (Irish ex Casa Tres) did close The Willows but a Norwegian chap has recently reopened it as same name we looked in last evening ,similar tapas menu as before but everything priced individually not the €11.95 taster menu with about 15 dishes.....little wonder Mark had to give up !!
Place looked clean and tidy and the Norwegian chap very pleasant but the location leaves a lot to be desired
Kiki Riki excellent again and packed

Thanks MacyD at least we now know what's going on!!! We really meant to try Kiki Riki but when we return in May will definitely try it now as loads have said how good it is. Pity about the Willows as previously everyone who mentioned it said the tapas were excellent when Mark had it. I can't say I noticed the prices when we walked past it but will have a wee look in May. That's what's really good about the forum as I've tried a few places recommended on here and have rarely been disappointed :tiphat:

Ecky Thump
26-04-2017, 12:16
Are there any new restaurants in the Los Cristianos area that have recently opened that might be worth trying (or avoiding) ?

blondie
26-04-2017, 16:13
A new Thai restaurant has opened , sorry forget the name , its behind the Sports shop and down from Devon Arms . I would have liked to have tried it but
hubby was not having any of it . Did not fancy Thai food much he said . In each of our visits to our regular chinese he had Thai food 3 nights!!!! What is that all about ,
wont get away with it next visit .

LindaD
26-04-2017, 20:48
What about that new one that's opened at the Sunday market area. Can't remember what it's called but it has been mentioned on here. Think the swallows were using it for regular lunch meet ups

Angusjim
27-04-2017, 06:49
Burger King al a carte menu worth a look and well within your budget Ecky mare money for Carol to get pished:c2:

robbyw
03-05-2017, 20:59
Alegria is worth a look.
Cheap and good quality
Not that easy to spot, but on the lower level of the Passarell Centre.
https://www.facebook.com/Restaurante-Alegria-1638144943182657/

€4.90 meals and cheap steaks.

Angusjim
04-05-2017, 11:23
Ecky Thump I want a detailed report from you on this place from a Scotsman view point:wink:

Ecky Thump
04-05-2017, 11:39
Ecky Thump I want a detailed report from you on this place from a Scotsman view point:wink:

If you mean the Algeria restaurant up the hill to my cousins apartment (el Mirador), we went there for a meal last October. As the price is reasonably cheap, the the quality of food is reflected by this....Reasonable quality, but won't rush back.

There is a new restaurant opened in L/C called Jesus, it's operated by the owner of the excursion agent who goes under the same name 'Jesus', it's situated along from the Timberland outlet shop at the back of the square (it used to be the 'Steak House', the menu looks excellent, we walked by the other evening and shown around the restaurant and its kitchen by the owner who also GAVE us some fantastic tastings of Parma Ham and wine:-) we shall try there over the next few days.

If you mean the Algeria restaurant up the hill to my cousins apartment (el Mirador), we went there for a meal last October. As the price is reasonably cheap, the the quality of food is reflected by this....Reasonable quality, but won't rush back.

There is a new restaurant opened in L/C called Jesus, it's operated by the owner of the excursion agent who goes under the same name 'Jesus', it's situated along from the Timberland outlet shop at the back of the square (it used to be the 'Steak House', the menu looks excellent, we walked by the other evening and shown around the restaurant and its kitchen by the owner who also GAVE us some fantastic tastings of Parma Ham and wine:-) we shall try there over the next few days.

Angusjim
04-05-2017, 11:44

Good work Ecky getting free food & drink I am proud of you:laugh:

Ecky Thump
04-05-2017, 11:52
Good work Ecky getting free food & drink I am proud of you:laugh:

It grieves me to say that when we return, that I will have to pay for our meals and Carol spotted that he has a large array of fine wines....but I don't begrudge spending money to keep her happy. :liar:

bennoa1
04-05-2017, 12:34
We've just got back and tried Abordo a couple of times. Good fish and at the other end of the passage from El Cine. Last time we went to El Cine we were disappointed and felt rushed, plus its not cheap if you have a few drinks. Cost in Abordo c45-50 euros for 2 decent meals, a beer or 2 plus a few glasses of vino - we were there a good hour!

blondie
04-05-2017, 16:09
I have never fancied El Cine , the queues put me off, l always imagine they are going to rush you to get more folk served .
In any case when we go out for dinner that is us for the night usually have our night cap there as well .

Red Devil
04-05-2017, 17:22
I have never fancied El Cine , the queues put me off, l always imagine they are going to rush you to get more folk served .
In any case when we go out for dinner that is us for the night usually have our night cap there as well .

I love El Cine but usually eat there at lunchtime rather than evening, it hasnt the atmosphere for an evening meal. Very limited menu but the freshest fish and chicken wings you are likely to get anywhere.

I love El Cine but usually eat there at lunchtime rather than evening, it hasnt the atmosphere for an evening meal. Very limited menu but the freshest fish and chicken wings you are likely to get anywhere.

bennoa1
05-05-2017, 09:26

Agree with you. We went to Abordo for an early afternoon lunch (around 2pm) as we prefer now to have one big meal a day (either breakfast, lunch or dinner) and then smaller snack/nibbles the other meals. The fish is in a fridge at the opposite end to El Cine and for whole fish you pay by weight so similar to going to Tajao without the travel but not quite as much choice. We ate off the specials board which was swordfish (2 pieces) in a spicy tomato sauce and hake in green sauce.

Ecky Thump
05-05-2017, 09:46
Yesterday evening we went to one of our favourite long established restaurants, the Miami Beach, Carol had the 'Fish of the day', which was excellent tasting and bone free. I had what I view as my favourite there, sirloin steak, Canarian potatoes and onions, to be honest mine was a disappointment as the steak was tough and gristly, this is the first time after many years of eating there that I have had a poor meal. On a plus side, I didn't complain, but the owner spotted that I hadn't eaten the steak, apologised, when I asked for the bill, which the waitress bought over, the owner ripped it up and again apologised....so we will return again.

bennoa1
05-05-2017, 10:06
Yesterday evening we went to one of our favourite long established restaurants, the Miami Beach, Carol had the 'Fish of the day', which was excellent tasting and bone free. I had what I view as my favourite there, sirloin steak, Canarian potatoes and onions, to be honest mine was a disappointment as the steak was tough and gristly, this is the first time after many years of eating there that I have had a poor meal. On a plus side, I didn't complain, but the owner spotted that I hadn't eaten the steak, apologised, when I asked for the bill, which the waitress bought over, the owner ripped it up and again apologised....so we will return again.

Also one of my favourites and been going for 25 years - say hello to Manolo, Didi (the PR) and Alejandro (Manolo's son - usually starts about 1pm). I had the fish a week or so ago and I enjoyed it too - very juicy and perfectly seasoned. We also nip in for breakfast which is lovely but we only have maybe one a week now - wife is on a diet so I'm trying to lose a bit too. Probably seen you in there - we usually sit near the front and have umbrellas on our drinks.

Ecky Thump
05-05-2017, 10:58
Also one of my favourites and been going for 25 years - say hello to Manolo, Didi (the PR) and Alejandro (Manolo's son - usually starts about 1pm). I had the fish a week or so ago and I enjoyed it too - very juicy and perfectly seasoned. We also nip in for breakfast which is lovely but we only have maybe one a week now - wife is on a diet so I'm trying to lose a bit too. Probably seen you in there - we usually sit near the front and have umbrellas on our drinks.

I shall look out for you, I'm unmissable as I wear Union Jack shorts, tattoos and a large beer belly to compliment them and should be passing by (staggering) in a hours time! :liar:

But seriously, we shall be about today and see if we can spot you. :/)

bennoa1
05-05-2017, 11:10
I shall look out for you, I'm unmissable as I wear Union Jack shorts, tattoos and a large beer belly to compliment them and should be passing by (staggering) in a hours time! :liar:

But seriously, we shall be about today and see if we can spot you. :/)

We were there for a couple of weeks but came home Tuesday. Enjoy your break.

Ecky Thump
05-05-2017, 11:16
We were there for a couple of weeks but came home Tuesday. Enjoy your break.

Ah well, we shall maybe see you in October and until then will have to do with the company of LindaD Angusjim and the reprobate marbro8 who now posts on the 'Otherside' :whistle:

robbyw
29-10-2017, 08:36
The restaurant Jesus looks to have changed to an Italian?

Also, is Alegria still open and trading in Los Cris?

TIA