PDA

View Full Version : Other Do you think that building in Tenerife is 'on the up'?

Margaretta
03-12-2015, 23:07
Although I haven't been in Tenerife since June, I have kept tabs on what is happening and has been occurring over the last eighteen months.
Certainly in the Llano del Camello area there have been some new builds such as the garage opposite the lighthouse and some factory units. Businesses are beginning to show faith e.g. the new Burger King in Las Chafiras. Lots of building is happening around Siam Park and some houses are being finished in El Medano. A number of beach and coastal improvements have been completed: Garachico, Callao Salveje and even the smaller coastal resorts in the south. A large apartment block has just been completed in Palm Mar. Another stretch of the ring motorway is to be built fairly soon. Feeling very positive about the future for the island but wishing that the eyesores were completed such as The Llano del Camello supermarket complex, the hospital, the Golf del Sur abandoned buildings and others on the island which are relics of the boom years.
I know little of building but I would have thought it cheaper for a company to buy up and finish a partly built block than start afresh? Please could anyone enlighten me?

TOTO 99
04-12-2015, 11:09
I agree, there seems to be more building going on recently than I've seen for many a year. They appear to be doing a good job too which is great to see.

I think the problem with the old, half built shells that are dotted around is that it's difficult to confirm that they were properly built with the correct materials etc, given the amount of corruption that surrounded a lot of these deals. It's also not unknown for them to start building without proper permission so again it might not be possible to just jump in and carry on where the original builders left off...:tiphat:

seanocelt
04-12-2015, 15:04
I see many works going on but as stated half done/ hardly done projects are left alone. I recall similar in the 90s crisis that still stand derelict today eg Playa Paraiso.

timmylish
04-12-2015, 17:34
Well, much to my surprise MacDonalds have taken up a plot of land, sufficient for Take-Away and sit in here in San Isidro. Its right beside Mercadona, between Sansofe/Mercadona and Lidl, on the same side, facing onto the autopista. One thing it will bring is huge traffic jams at certain times of the day/night. They only started building on an empty plot a couple of weeks ago (they had done some preliminary work before that) and hope to finish in time for Christmas (Spanish or UK unknown). The last little part in the jig-saw which is San Isidro. Has just about everything now!

Malteser Monkey
04-12-2015, 23:40
Well, much to my surprise MacDonalds have taken up a plot of land, sufficient for Take-Away and sit in here in San Isidro. Its right beside Mercadona, between Sansofe/Mercadona and Lidl, on the same side, facing onto the autopista. One thing it will bring is huge traffic jams at certain times of the day/night. They only started building on an empty plot a couple of weeks ago (they had done some preliminary work before that) and hope to finish in time for Christmas (Spanish or UK unknown). The last little part in the jig-saw which is San Isidro. Has just about everything now!

Why oh why ruin such a ............ I will be shot down:whistle: