PDA

View Full Version : Other Help. My daughter in in Candelaria hospital with meningitis

jandy
16-12-2015, 13:13
HELP feeling distraught , and helpless. My 5 week old granddaughter who was visiting us on holiday was taken to Candaleria hospital , she has meningitis. They were taken in yesterday Mum Dad and baby, the are in an isolation ward .Neither of them speak spanish. The baby is being breast fed, but my daughter was not provided or told where to get food so she has not eaten since yesterday morning. What can I do we are not allowed in to see them, and my spanish is not that good. They have been told they may be in for 12 days. We live in Torviscas and do not have a car, but could take bus up, but I dont know what we could do. Surely there must be some help in the hospital.

Malteser Monkey
16-12-2015, 13:43
Any ideas anyone

ermmm
Megaloo canarybird cainaries TheBloke (can you ask kirsty I know she's not on often)

jeste747
16-12-2015, 13:50
I would think if its meningitis the baby would be put on a drip to feed. So please try not to worry about that.

amanda
16-12-2015, 16:00
There is a cafe on the first floor in the hospital

melm
16-12-2015, 16:54
I wish I could help you . I'm sure there will be a happy outcome to your dilemma. Sending you good wishes at this worrying time for you and your family.

macdonald5
16-12-2015, 19:04
I also feel so useless to help, do hope this desperate situation has good outcome
Very best wishes

Leam_Lin
16-12-2015, 19:23
So sorry to hear this, best wishes for baby's speedy recovery. Linda & Jim (Hops)

jandy
16-12-2015, 20:06
Thank you all for your kind wishes, we have managed to arrange a lift for Friday so can take change of clothes etc. Their insurance company has been really good with them,phoning and speaking to a nurse in spanish then translating for my daughter. So things are looking a bit brighter tonight.

melm
16-12-2015, 20:22
Thanks for update. Glad things don't look so bleak for you.

Sending you and your family our very best wishes

warbey
16-12-2015, 21:49

Lets send some Prayers that way too?

Thinking of You as a Family.....

Megaloo
16-12-2015, 23:53
HELP feeling distraught , and helpless. My 5 week old granddaughter who was visiting us on holiday was taken to Candaleria hospital , she has meningitis. They were taken in yesterday Mum Dad and baby, the are in an isolation ward .Neither of them speak spanish. The baby is being breast fed, but my daughter was not provided or told where to get food so she has not eaten since yesterday morning. What can I do we are not allowed in to see them, and my spanish is not that good. They have been told they may be in for 12 days. We live in Torviscas and do not have a car, but could take bus up, but I dont know what we could do. Surely there must be some help in the hospital.

So sorry missed this, My Spanish is not fluent I am ashamed to say not for Medical things, I am not familiar with Candelaria Hospital but I am sure there must be a canteen there as there is in the Universitario

I do know a person who deals with Hospitals and translates who is excellent but of course he charges, but if you wish to know his details if you PM me I can give them to you

I live here in the North so cannot offer to give you a lift from the South

If you go by Bus to Santa Cruz bus station it would not cost much for a taxi to the hospital parking is bad there anyway

Do hope the little one will recover quickly will Pray that she will.

cressrt
17-12-2015, 08:55
You can download a google translator app to a smart phone that will allow you to speak English and the App will translate to Spanish for the Nurse and vice versa. This was recommended to a friend by a traffic policeman who stopped him. it worked well, worth a go. It works on text as well.

Malteser Monkey
17-12-2015, 10:23
Lovely thanks everyone for your advice and good wishes

:c2:

That's what we are about here

jandy
17-12-2015, 10:52
Yes thanks everyone, your help and kind thoughts are much appreciated.

Malteser Monkey
17-12-2015, 11:36
Yes thanks everyone, your help and kind thoughts are much appreciated.

Keep us informed and don't be a stranger

jandy
20-12-2015, 16:32
Keep us informed and don't be a stranger

Pleased to say that my grand daughter is improving, she will still be in hospital for 2 to 3 weeks because she is getting antibiotics intravenously. My Daughter has found the translator phone app useful. She is managing to get her husband to bring her something to eat from the canteen, found out yesterday that she can get a nurse to watch the baby if she wants to go to canteen for anything, that would have been helpful to know a few days ago.
A hospital guide would be useful. When I went to visit there was another woman with a four month old in the same position as my daughter, she just did not know what was happening, no one had spoken to her about how long she was going to be kept in, and she was due to fly home shortly with her husband and her 2 year old. spoke to her and passed on what my daughter had learned being there.

cainaries
20-12-2015, 18:36
So sorry not to have responded at all until now as had computer problems. Glad to hear things are improving a little for you. What help do you still need? I don't live on Tenerife or even speak much Spanish but I have a friend here who is virtually bilingual and her husband is Spanish and speaks English. Can't offer any transport help but I'm sure my friend would help you if she can do this by phone from another island.

Malteser Monkey
20-12-2015, 18:55
So sorry not to have responded at all until now as had computer problems. Glad to hear things are improving a little for you. What help do you still need? I don't live on Tenerife or even speak much Spanish but I have a friend here who is virtually bilingual and her husband is Spanish and speaks English. Can't offer any transport help but I'm sure my friend would help you if she can do this by phone from another island.

Brilliant C ! thanks

jandy
20-12-2015, 22:18

Thanks a lot for your kind offer. The insurance company are translating between the Doctors and my daughter at the moment. If she needs any more help I will let you know.

cainaries
21-12-2015, 16:18
Thanks a lot for your kind offer. The insurance company are translating between the Doctors and my daughter at the moment. If she needs any more help I will let you know. A friend of my friend may contact you in the hospital. Her name is Nikki. Of course everyone is busy with family at this time of year so I don't know when this will be. But if someone called Nikki turns up please ask her to help you in any way she can!

Malteser Monkey
22-12-2015, 10:21
A friend of my friend may contact you in the hospital. Her name is Nikki. Of course everyone is busy with family at this time of year so I don't know when this will be. But if someone called Nikki turns up please ask her to help you in any way she can!

Well talk about going the extra , nice one Mrs - hope this all get sorted soon and a happy ending !

cainaries
23-12-2015, 10:07
Well talk about going the extra , nice one Mrs - hope this all get sorted soon and a happy ending !

Thank you but it s my friend we should be thanking and Nikki if she manages to get to the hospital. any update on how things are going?

Margaretta
26-12-2015, 01:42
You may already be doing this but if you take a bus from where you live to Santa Cruz bus station the little train just outside is much, much cheaper than a taxi would be. It goes to La Laguna and stops at Candelaria Hospital on the way.

jandy
17-01-2016, 23:53
Thanks everyone for their kind thoughts, wishes and offers of help. My granddaughter is now safely at home, and doing well. Although there was a big language barrier at Candelaria , my daughter was very impressed with the care her daughter received. It is heart warming to know that complete strangers will offer help at your time of need, well done tenerife forum members.

LindaD
18-01-2016, 00:18
Thanks everyone for their kind thoughts, wishes and offers of help. My granddaughter is now safely at home, and doing well. Although there was a big language barrier at Candelaria , my daughter was very impressed with the care her daughter received. It is heart warming to know that complete strangers will offer help at your time of need, well done tenerife forum members.

Couldn't agree more jandy, they're a great bunch of folk on here!!!!!! So glad to hear your granddaughter is on the road to recovery, what a time for you all. Thank you for letting us know how she's doing, members will appreciate the update.

Home care Abona
18-01-2016, 12:06

We provide a translation service. Have staff visiting Candaleria hospital daily.

Ecky Thump
18-01-2016, 12:09
We provide a translation service. Have staff visiting Candaleria hospital daily.

Is this a free community service that you offer, or a chargeable one????

Home care Abona
18-01-2016, 14:13

It is a chargeable one.

HomeCare Abona is a Care at Home service providing the following: - Respite care, domestic help, assistance after a time in hospital. moving and handling during immobility, meal making,
Attending hospital/doctors appointments including a translation service. Assisting with personal care needs e.g. helping to get up and preparing for the day e.g. showering and dressing and retiring at the end of it.
Our domestic home help service includes:- cleaning, shopping, laundry- washing and ironing, in fact anything that helps with independent living.
We also offer a funeral service.
We can arrange for medication to be blistered to ease the problems associated with the control of medication.
Should anyone require mobility aides we have arrangements to organise this too.
You can follow us on facebook.

Ecky Thump
18-01-2016, 14:57

It is a chargeable one.

So basically you are taking advantage of this forum to make a FREE advert for your company.:(

kingbaker
18-01-2016, 15:04
Hang on Ecky Thump I'll get me gun!!

Malteser Monkey
18-01-2016, 15:21
So basically you are taking advantage of this forum to make a FREE advert for your company.:(

Nothing gets past you

carolapple282
25-07-2016, 08:43
I would think if its meningitis the child would be put on a drop to give. So please try don't fear about that.