PDA

View Full Version : Other Please fill me in on San Isidro

Bren111
08-01-2016, 11:49
I have some questions about San Isidro. The one close to the airport,somebody on here said there are two.
Is it a nice place to live?
Maybe somebody on this forum lives,or have lived,here?
I was told that many Sth Americans live here.
Are there many english speakers ,probably not?
Thanks
Bren

LUCKY
08-01-2016, 15:57
I have some questions about San Isidro. The one close to the airport,somebody on here said there are two.
Is it a nice place to live?
Maybe somebody on this forum lives,or have lived,here?
I was told that many Sth Americans live here.
Are there many english speakers ,probably not?
Thanks
Bren

I do pay the occasional visit to San Isidro,I find it on the main a very Spanish speaking community. :flatcap::feret::feret::feret::feret:
My friend Google maybe able to help a little more than i can.

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Isidro_(Granadilla_de_Abona)

Ricman
08-01-2016, 17:00
IIRC we have a forum member down there called Timmy ? Seem to remember he was always very positive about the place - except for the quality of the Chinese restaurants as he travelled to Puerto Colon for this type of food.

ribuck
08-01-2016, 19:20
San Isidro is a great town, with great transport connections, but it's definitely Spanish-speaking.

Bren111
09-01-2016, 10:53
Thanks to you all for that.
Yes ,it doesn't seem to have much in the way of tourism ,maybe not a bad thing?
Anyway I go there next week.

LUCKY
09-01-2016, 11:32

Enjoy and please report back to the Forum on your discovery and pleasure of San Isidro. :flatcap::feret::feret::feret::feret:

Bren111
09-01-2016, 12:25
Thanks Lucky
Will do

timmylish
09-01-2016, 20:39

Although there is little or no tourism here (in a way thank beyjesus!) you might be surprised at how often you will hear an English speaking voice lurking. In the main the locals are smashing and I have to say its become very cosmopolitan in recent years with residents from the Canaries, the Peninsula, various South American countries and more recently an influx of Arabic people. Surprising how many of those will speak quite happily in English having University qualifications from their home countries but said qualifications being useless in the Canaries. Great choice of shops and bars/restaurants. You,ll be OK. Enjoy.

ribuck
10-01-2016, 11:10
Although there is little or no tourism here ... you might be surprised at how often you will hear an English speaking voice...

That's true! When I stay in San Isidro, and am waiting at a bus stop, I often hear someone say "Excuse me, do you speak English?". I'm tempted to reply "¡Si, por supuesto!" but I bite my sarcastic tongue and say "Yes, sure!". The person then heaves a great sigh of relief and says "Thank goodness, I've been trying to find someone who speaks English for half an hour."

More often than not, it turns out that they booked a hotel here for their holiday because it was (a) cheaper than Los Cristianos, and (b) close to the airport. Then they ask me where they will find the beaches, the nightlife, and a place that does a decent English breakfast. They pay careful attention as I explain to them which buses to catch and where to buy a Bono card. And they resolve to stay anywhere but San Isidro in the future :)

Bren111
10-01-2016, 12:15
Thanks to timmylish and ribuck
Yes , I thought as much.
Been there a few times and found it quiet but ,in general ,ok.
I don't have a problem with lack of English speakers,in fact it should encourage me to broaden my Spanish vocabulary.
And I won't be wandering the bars at 2am:cheeky: