PDA

View Full Version : Property We are looking to rent in Tenerife for a year while we look for somewhere to buy

cliffdale
11-01-2016, 22:38
Hi
I'm Cliff.

About me!

I took early retirement after teaching for 30 years! My hobbies in the uk are sailing but now have given up due to seriously bad weather. The boat has just been sold so i'm looking for and apartment somewhere in the sun.

I am looking for some suggestions where to visit. We (swmbo) and my self are flying out in February to look for an apartment to buy. because we don't know all the island, we thought we will rent for a year and spend time looking.

Please will you suggest some places to visit!

So here are our desirable tick boxes.

We prefer to be near the coast and near a quaint old type harbour.

Plenty of lush greenery.

A really good choice of restaurants as we tend to eat out a lot.

Near beaches, (walking distance), and a nice promenade to walk down in the evenings.

Initially, we will book into a hotel and explore areas. Hopefully this will lead to finding an annual rent.

We don't like youth yob culture so I suspect there must be places to avoid!

any info greatly appreciated..

Cliff

ribuck
11-01-2016, 23:34
Fortunately, the places with "plenty of lush greenery" are also the places without the "youth yob culture".

I suggest you take a look at the coast from Buenavista to Puerto de la Cruz. There are also a few quaint old harbours between Puerto de la Cruz and Punta de Hidalgo. All of these places are on what we call the "north" of the island, but technically speaking it's the north-west coast.

bennoa1
12-01-2016, 12:52
Playa San Juan, Garachico, Las Galletas, Los Abrigos, Alcala, Puerto de la Cruz would fit the bill. Plus plenty of other small coastal villages all along the coast but you 'll need to explore those - not too many with lots of restaurants, but depends on what you call lots and somewhere like San Juan/Las Galletas would probably offer the best of both worlds, but only you can decide as you'll need to get a feel for the place. Suggest you go in the day, night and weekends to get a good idea if you like it or not. Los Cristianos possibly a bit too commercial for what you want but certainly ticks all your requests.

ribuck
12-01-2016, 13:21
I suppose it depends whether the "plenty of lush greenery" needs to be in the natural surroundings, or whether manicured landscaping also meets the criterion.

cliffdale
12-01-2016, 14:18
I suppose it depends whether the "plenty of lush greenery" needs to be in the natural surroundings, or whether manicured landscaping also meets the criterion.

Thanks for the replies so far. I would be happy with natural or manicured landscape. Nice grassed areas, parkland, will tick the box. Later today, I will google some images of the suggested areas. I'm hoping book flights in the next two weeks.

Cliff

bennoa1
12-01-2016, 14:53
Could you do a month somewhere initially and then pick potential locations and try and stay there for a week or so and at least you'd get the full picture of what it was like? I just think being in the same place for 12 months could be a wasted opportunity. Once you've decided on a location you can then search for property. The exchange rate today is 1.33 and in the middle of November it was 1.43 which is a 7.5% drop and would mean a sterling cost of £69,930 or £75,187 (a £5,257 difference) on every 100,000 euros so bear this in mind. You can get forward rates on large amounts but timing is key. We use Foreign Currencies Direct but any of the regulated providers should be able to help - just don't use the bank!! Do you have a euro bank account yet or an NIE number? If not do this sooner rather than later. Cant recommend any banks but go with one which has a number of branches around the island. Have you explored the impact of being out of the country for a year - savings, pensions etc? Are you selling up to live in Tenerife or keep a base in the UK?

Peanuts
12-01-2016, 15:10
To try different places in a year is a good idea. We arrived in the North and then decided to live in the South. The North has its charm and local food and drink is much better and cheaper. It has more lush greenery, but that means more rain and clouds most of the time. Can be cold in the winter with a sea/north facing flat and no direct sun.

cliffdale
12-01-2016, 15:26
We are keeping our house in the UK. I'm planning to share the time in the UK and Canaries, stay around 6 weeks and UK for 6 weeks. We are not tied with times but will look out for cheap flights and plan around the flight deals.

We are also looking for apartments in Gran Canaria and Fuerteventura. We haven't decided where yet so this exploring is important to us.