PDA

View Full Version : Finance New laws for Spanish wills

essexeddie
13-01-2016, 17:50
Another new law this year. All Spanish wills must denote where the will is read. If not it will be read and administered in spain and could conflict with your wishes.

essexeddie
14-01-2016, 10:35
Looks like nobody makes wills these days.

Christianb
20-02-2016, 01:26
I don't understand this, can you give me a scenario of a possible conflict?

Angusjim
20-02-2016, 10:10
Spanish, and other European, inheritance laws are about apportioning the estate between children and the surviving spouse. You can't cut people out of the will or leave a greater proportion to one than the other. In the UK you can leave all your money to the cats home if you want. If you have a UK will and you want it to take precedence you must have a Spanish will that specifically says that or Spanish inheritance rules will apply. They have been adding this clause to wills for the last year or so but older wills will not contain it so you should make a new one.

Not that it affects me but the Spanish systems seems a bit bonkers, seems like too much government interference with YOUR money:dontknow:

Christianb
20-02-2016, 12:07
So the Spanish will can say exercise the UK will? I bet this can get complicated...
I wonder if anybody knows the Spanish law situation where a person only has nephews or nieces, can one leave all to just one, or again one should call UK to the rescue?

TOTO 99
20-02-2016, 12:33
So the Spanish will can say exercise the UK will? I bet this can get complicated...
I wonder if anybody knows the Spanish law situation where a person only has nephews or nieces, can one leave all to just one, or again one should call UK to the rescue?

I guess all wills could be regarded as complicated by some people, I don't see a problem with this system.

If you want to be in full control, make your will in the UK. Then, make a will in Spain and point it to the UK will........If you don't. you may well find yourself chipping in towards the Mayor's new Bentley......:tiphat:

glassman
22-02-2017, 12:56
We made a will in Spain 30 years ago
Do I have to make a new one now we're in Tenerife
We aren't residents but have had apartment here for 12 years and previously had one in Spain
If so can anyone recommend someone

AndyG
08-03-2017, 19:59
We need to make Spanish Wills as we are resident here permanently now. Have any other residents made a Spanish Will recently please and if so, would they give me a rough idea of the cost?

AndyG
24-03-2017, 14:29
Just a quick update: I contacted various people through websites and got quotes of €460 and €360 respectively for 2 Spanish Wills ( plus a reply from a Spanish firm saying they don't understand the English language). We were about to proceed with the cheaper quote when a belated reply came in from a local Notaría office. We have just returned from the local Notaria with copies of our new Spanish Wills: total cost for 2 wills was just €107!!

essexeddie
24-03-2017, 17:45
That's a good price. A couple I know have just made Spanish Wills in the U.K. useing a Spanish lawyer and it cost them £700.
Where was your Notory?

AndyG
24-03-2017, 18:26
In Alcala, in the South West. It is a two column Will, in English and Spanish. We were very pleased with the efficient service and of the course the modest price!

essexeddie
24-03-2017, 18:50
In Alcala, in the South West. It is a two column Will, in English and Spanish. We were very pleased with the efficient service and of the course the modest price!

We last made a Spanish will nearly 25 years ago so really need to renew it. Do they speak English if so would you care to give me their details?

AndyG
24-03-2017, 19:29
The firm is called Beatriz Martín Piñero, Notaria.
Avenida Los Pescadores 38686 Alcala. Tel number 922 866405
The person that sent the form to us by email was Mary Candelaria Hernandez Gorrín email Mary.notariaguia@notin.net

The receptionist speaks good English and the email from Mary was in good English too. We speak little Spanish but it wasn't a problem at all.
It maybe that our Will was a little cheaper than some as we nominated one heir to receive everything with one alternate heir named should it become necessary. We had to provide original passports, NIE numbers and a copy of our marriage certificate.

Let me know if you need any further information please!

essexeddie
24-03-2017, 21:50
Thanks for the info. Will check them out next time we are out.

AndyG
25-03-2017, 09:25
I was also recommended a Notaria in Las Americas area if that is closer to where you stay? Nicolas Castilla who has offices in Parque Santiago 6. I was told that both the Notary and staff speak English but I didn't contact them myself. It appears that the usual cost for a side by side English/Spanish Will is around 60/70 euros if you use a Notary rather than a solicitor.

essexeddie
25-03-2017, 10:06
We are in Los Cristianos perhaps I could get a quote from a Notory there.

AndyG
25-03-2017, 17:10
Looks like there is a Notary near Hotel Reveron. Drop them an email and ask for a quote. I was told that it usually costs around €60 per Will from a Notary UNLESS you have a very complicated Will.

essexeddie
25-03-2017, 18:01
That's where I went 25 years ago actually. There is one just down the road from them unless they are the same people and have moved that I used recently. They copied and certified my passport so I can leave the copy in the car. Now I don't need to have it on me all the time whilst driving. So I may pop in there when I get back in May.