PDA

View Full Version : Other Unfinished hotels on the Golf Del Sur

bfcdan20
15-01-2016, 14:04
Can someone tell me why the unfinished hotels in GDS near aquamarina were not finished? And when did the work stop?

Or is there any plans to finish the hotel at some point? I've come to Sandos San Blas for the last 3 years and it's always been in the same condition.

Thanks.

LUCKY
15-01-2016, 16:34
If you mean the hotel nearest Santa Barbara that as been like that for a lot more than 3 years. Have you

LUCKY
15-01-2016, 16:48
If you mean the hotel nearest Santa Barbara that as been like that for a lot more than 3 years. Have you
noticed the one room that is completed of the east wing.It will all be up and running as a 5 star all inclusive hotel by the end of February. Which year I do not know,it is rumoured that the building company went bust but that is only a rumour. Did you say 2 hotel's in your post if you would care to give me the location of the second hotel I will investigate and post my findings on the forum [emoji545] [emoji545] [emoji545] [emoji545]

bfcdan20
16-01-2016, 02:14
Yes mate the hotel plot is inbetween santa Barbara and I think it's the El nartica hotel??

Looks a huge eye sore... And then there is another unfinished building across the road from it that appears to be alot smaller.

I didn't notice any finished rooms mind... I've always fancied doing abit of urban exploring on it as it just seems to have been left to rot away.

Dying to get more info on the place!

LUCKY
16-01-2016, 10:28
Warning!!! Do not go into the grounds of the unfinished hotel .There is at least one very fierce guard dog on the premises. Now I have a question for you bfcdan20 . What does the bfc represent in your user name?

bfcdan20
16-01-2016, 10:55
I see, that is an issue then! Looks like the hotel was going to be huge. I'm assuming that the team building the hotel could have gone bust as it looks like they have left all their apparatus there and the entrance has had a peice of corrugated metal welded to it so entry to it does look hard. As always though there has been alot of graffiti all up the hotel...

Just to make sure I'm telling you about the right place I mean this...
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=unfinished+hotel+golf+del+sur&client=ms-android-sonymobile&prmd=imnv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiclMXzh67KAhUBsxQKHWa-DgEQ_AUIBygB#imgrc=Z8Q7_eVWlz0vUM%3A

Also the BFC part stands for Barnsley Football Club. I know, I know... It's a terrible choice 😂

LUCKY
16-01-2016, 11:03
Yes that is the correct building about 2 years ago they removed generators and other construction plant from that site.l did witness that. If BFC are on TV will you be the one that will shouting and encouraging them from the comfort of the Wild Geese?

bfcdan20
16-01-2016, 11:12
Ah I see. Shame it was never finished as it really is n eyesore. I've been trying to find out who owns it, or if it was up for sale but I can't find anything. Infact other than trip advisor I cant find anyone else who's even noticed it.

That would be me mate, as it goes I've just returned to the UK but I'm coming back over in a couple of weeks! Barnsley are on the TV very soon too...

Maybe by the time I return in 3 weeks there will be a new huge 5 star hotel.... 😗

Margaretta
16-01-2016, 13:26
bfcdan20, the recession caused so many problems like this throughout Spain. Building was flourishing everywhere ten years ago. Then we actually watched workers on huge sites downing tools and leaving their places of work for good. Very sad as no hope of further work for them in the building industry at that time.
Of course cranes etc. have been removed, the sites looted and taken over by the homeless, many of whom lost their jobs in the recession.
They are all eyesores and I thought it would be a simple solution for councils to demolish, clear the land and sell whatever is left for scrap. Apparently it's not. That would be terribly expensive and it is unlikely that the scrap would recoup the cost of demolition.
The very best hope is that companies would take over the original plans and use the foundations to complete the buildings. But investors don't seem rich enough or interested. Hoping that I'm talking to a billionaire here.:wink2:

Angusjim
16-01-2016, 14:25
Ah I see. Shame it was never finished as it really is n eyesore. I've been trying to find out who owns it, or if it was up for sale but I can't find anything. Infact other than trip advisor I cant find anyone else who's even noticed it.

That would be me mate, as it goes I've just returned to the UK but I'm coming back over in a couple of weeks! Barnsley are on the TV very soon too...

Maybe by the time I return in 3 weeks there will be a new huge 5 star hotel.... 😗

A five star hotel mainly used by plane spotters:laugh:

bfcdan20
16-01-2016, 16:12
bfcdan20, the recession caused so many problems like this throughout Spain. Building was flourishing everywhere ten years ago. Then we actually watched workers on huge sites downing tools and leaving their places of work for good. Very sad as no hope of further work for them in the building industry at that time.
Of course cranes etc. have been removed, the sites looted and taken over by the homeless, many of whom lost their jobs in the recession.
They are all eyesores and I thought it would be a simple solution for councils to demolish, clear the land and sell whatever is left for scrap. Apparently it's not. That would be terribly expensive and it is unlikely that the scrap would recoup the cost of demolition.
The very best hope is that companies would take over the original plans and use the foundations to complete the buildings. But investors don't seem rich enough or interested. Hoping that I'm talking to a billionaire here.:wink2:
Thanks for this, I assume you have seen this building? Do you have any idea what the hotel was going to be called?

I'd love to see the site finished, I did look at building my own home out on the golf but taking over a hotel? Bit out of my price range [emoji6]

In actual fact I wanted to try and find out if there was any plans to demolish the site and sell the land. I love the plot it is on, barring the sewage stench just down the road!!

I'm currently trying to find a patch for sale that I like, and at the moment it's between the golf and San Agustín in Gran Canaria.

But if my plans are miles out and not sustainable I would just love to see a company take the site over and help give the golf abit more life.

Margaretta
16-01-2016, 16:41
Sorry, I have no idea what that hotel or the one on the hill were going to be called. The planning department at san Miguel could probably locate the details. If GDS is essential, the following won't help, but there are many beach plots for sale along the coast from Granadilla to Santa Cruz. But if you could finish one of the GDS plots you would be much loved by all!

bfcdan20
16-01-2016, 17:02
Thanks, I'll give them a call on Monday and try and find out a little more.

I can't see them having any plans to demolish it but it's worth a call to find out.

Thanks for that Margaretta but I'm only interested in the golf. We sometimes holiday in granadilla but we're not that keen on building there.

I love the GDS... But it would have to be in that patch if I was to build. I know that sounds fussy, but if you are to pay out hundreds of thousands then you can afford to be, right? 😀

LUCKY
16-01-2016, 17:59
The unfinished building opposite Peublo Primevera Is I believe subject to a court case as it was built one storey too high.It was built as residential property like the brown building next to it and the green building next to that. Someone took the crane away from the unfinished building just over six months ago ��������

Ricman
16-01-2016, 18:23
I heard it was all doing OK & then a fortunate Bloke from the West Riding moved in & the place went downhill from there.

Now twinned with Featherstone.

LUCKY
16-01-2016, 18:33
I heard it was all doing OK & then a fortunate Bloke from the West Riding moved in & the place went downhill from there.

Now twinned with Casvegas

I was in negotiation with the Gentleman developer from Yorkshire on this very thread, now you have just let the cat out of the bag.Yes it was me that coined the name for a small local area Lower GDS. Friends tell me it used now quite widely on that other social media site that ends in book.:flatcap::feret::feret::feret::feret:

Ricman
16-01-2016, 19:19
Aahh Casvegas where the river runs white & glows at night.

marbro8
16-01-2016, 22:22
I see, that is an issue then! Looks like the hotel was going to be huge. I'm assuming that the team building the hotel could have gone bust as it looks like they have left all their apparatus there and the entrance has had a peice of corrugated metal welded to it so entry to it does look hard. As always though there has been alot of graffiti all up the hotel...

Just to make sure I'm telling you about the right place I mean this...
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=unfinished+hotel+golf+del+sur&client=ms-android-sonymobile&prmd=imnv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiclMXzh67KAhUBsxQKHWa-DgEQ_AUIBygB#imgrc=Z8Q7_eVWlz0vUM%3A

Also the BFC part stands for Barnsley Football Club. I know, I know... It's a terrible choice ��you have a lot in common with our very own West mids tyke

WELSH CLASSIC
16-01-2016, 23:01
We rented in Sunset view for many years of the early GDS when there was no shopping area etc. We looked across at Coral Sands? which was empty for a no.of years which was furnished but for some reason closed.It finally opened as Terrazas de la Paz and we bought a apt. when they started to sell them off.We seen many hotels/apts. started and left unfinished and a few years later finished off.So i guess this will happen to the others which might be time share/holiday club buildings in a few years from now.:cry:

LUCKY
17-01-2016, 01:05
We rented in Sunset view for many years of the early GDS when there was no shopping area etc. We looked across at Coral Sands? which was empty for a no.of years which was furnished but for some reason closed.It finally opened as Terrazas de la Paz and we bought a apt. when they started to sell them off.We seen many hotels/apts. started and left unfinished and a few years later finished off.So i guess this will happen to the others which might be time share/holiday club buildings in a few years from now.:cry:

I have Googled my friend google with 'Coral Sands' No results were forthcoming.Are you WELSH CLASSICreally older than the internet? (no offence intended) :flatcap:

Ricman
17-01-2016, 12:28
I understand Terrazas de La Paz as it now is, was bought & built for Barcelona Football Club, around 30 years ago. The idea was that it would be an ideal spot for a winter holidays in the sun & especially for the annual break around Christmas of the football season for the players & officials.

Apparently it just did not work. Maybe the younger players were more interested in the night life in Spains second biggest City. Who knows ?

More fools them, as it is an excellent complex with spacious apartments & magnificent views. And of course Lower Golf del Sur, with its myriad of attractions, only a good nine iron away.

Angusjim
17-01-2016, 12:57
I understand Terrazas de La Paz as it now is, was bought & built for Barcelona Football Club, around 30 years ago. The idea was that it would be an ideal spot for a winter holidays in the sun & especially for the annual break around Christmas of the football season for the players & officials.

Apparently it just did not work. Maybe the younger players were more interested in the night life in Spains second biggest City. Who knows ?

More fools them, as it is an excellent complex with spacious apartments & magnificent views. And of course Lower Golf del Sur, with its myriad of attractions, only a good nine iron away.

Might be more do with the fact that GDS is a dump directly under the main approach to a busy airport and really is little England. Not some where I would have thought that affluent Spanish footballers would enjoy.
Its more for your eccentric Yorkshire type:laugh:

Margaretta
17-01-2016, 15:25
Thanks, I'll give them a call on Monday and try and find out a little more.

I can't see them having any plans to demolish it but it's worth a call to find out.

Thanks for that Margaretta but I'm only interested in the golf. We sometimes holiday in granadilla but we're not that keen on building there.

I love the GDS... But it would have to be in that patch if I was to build. I know that sounds fussy, but if you are to pay out hundreds of thousands then you can afford to be, right? ��

The planning department is down the steps behind the main building of the Ayuntamiento de San Miguel de Abona. They have a website and are on Facebook. All those who work for the town hall are reluctant to speak English (I don't blame them) and may be tricky to understand on the phone. I suggest the following options:
(a) phone a GDS Estate Agent and inquire.
(b) phone the tourist office in San Miguel (they do speak English)
(c) ask someone who lives there to inquire for you.
(d) take a another trip to the area to do some research

A large, long-abandoned, half-built supermarket near our holiday home recently had banners from www.altavista. Whoever they are, they were clearly taking on the sale for this very large site.Maybe others too.
Hope the above helps and good luck to you.

Good luck with the above

WELSH CLASSIC
17-01-2016, 22:01
I have Googled my friend google with 'Coral Sands' No results were forthcoming.Are you WELSH CLASSICreally older than the internet? (no offence intended) :flatcap:

Thanks Lucky and it was my birthday yesterday .There was hardly any buildings when we stayed there.The hollow part was a driving range (golf) and i watched many a patio window broke with cross eyed golfers .I am positive it was called Coral Sands and that is why it is a Coral pink colour.I was told it was to have been a time share or a quality 4/5* Hotel/Apt.Rick Wakeman (YES), now i am showing my age was said to have bought one there. We bought one and you could use it for one month a year until the rental agreement finished.The company running it then ceased trading,so they went to being private.And yes there was no internet then or mobiles,only phones on the street if they worked.

LUCKY
18-01-2016, 18:45
I wonder how bfcdan20 went on today with his quest to gain further information about the unfinished hotel on the golf.As I know a gentleman that may be able to help. I am awaiting a phone call to see if he can help Dan with his mission🏢🏢🏢🏢

WELSH CLASSIC
18-01-2016, 20:43
A five star hotel in GDS?????

Sandos San Blas Golf Del Sur-5T Thomsons ,5*Trip advisor:raspberry2:

bfcdan20
19-01-2016, 12:07
Well I have just this second got off the phone to a lady called miranda, she told me that the hotel grounds was purchased by a British based company and they then sublet the land to a Spanish hotel brand who then later went out of business in 2012. The land owners (I couldn't get a name sorry) have been trying for years to sell on the land as it is now, rather than subletting it out again but they have struggled to find a buyer. Apparently a company called Dreamplace showed interest late last year however that has gone all rather quiet.

When asked if I could purchase a portion of the land I was told a firm 'no' as the owners of the land still believe they will find a buyer in the near future.

So she wished me good luck and I also wish the land owner good luck!!

I'll be flying out again next week to have a look at other plots for sale.

LUCKY
20-01-2016, 00:23
For anyone who may be interested this is the link to dreamplace:flatcap:

http://www.dreamplacehotels.com/es?gclid=CjwKEAiA2ve0BRDCgqDtmYXlyjkSJACEPmdwtx5QG 3k6fqtl2rKdbvnQrp2BYHL0j4vKAbYH-KneaBoCTY7w_wcB

West mids tyke
18-03-2016, 09:09
you have a lot in common with our very own West mids tyke

hey mark dont drag me into this lol got to be barcelona we cant afford anything except a trophy from wembley this year and a play off final v a team from somewhere near me