PDA

View Full Version : Making out a Will and new European donation regulations

funhunter
21-01-2016, 11:42
Good morning,
I was wondering if those on the forum could recommend a notary/solicitor for making out a Will For property here in Tenerife but where British law would apply. I also need information on the new European donation law so if there is someone who can me on both it would be ideal. Thanks::)

Tony the Welder
21-01-2016, 11:54
Notaria Los Cristianos- Arona De D.Ángel Alarcón Prieto, Calle General Franco, 25 · 922 75 71 24. They speak English. If you need a Spanish will to follow English law you need to quote THE EUROPEAN DIRECTIVE 650/2012, article 22 which states that you wish you national law to preside over your succession and your national law is English. Anyone who has previously made a will and not quoted this law may find that Spanish law now prevails under article 21 of the aforesaid law - so will may need updating to quote above.

TOTO 99
21-01-2016, 13:12
Notaria Los Cristianos- Arona De D.Ángel Alarcón Prieto, Calle General Franco, 25 · 922 75 71 24. They speak English. If you need a Spanish will to follow English law you need to quote THE EUROPEAN DIRECTIVE 650/2012, article 22 which states that you wish you national law to preside over your succession and your national law is English. Anyone who has previously made a will and not quoted this law may find that Spanish law now prevails under article 21 of the aforesaid law - so will may need updating to quote above.

Are you sure you're a welder?....:laugh:

funhunter
21-01-2016, 13:49
Thanks Tony for all that information, I shall give them a call:thanx:

bulldog
21-01-2016, 16:00

Tony,s a spot on welder he welded the lid back on my baked beans can after I opened it by mistake !!
hope all is good mate

Tony the Welder
21-01-2016, 16:11
OK, OK hands up, my wife saw the post and knows my password

essexeddie
21-01-2016, 17:34
I thought this new `Will` law only applied if you are British but a Spanish resident. If you are not a resident then the UK laws prevail?

Tony the Welder
22-01-2016, 07:58
I thought this new `Will` law only applied if you are British but a Spanish resident. If you are not a resident then the UK laws prevail?

It does not just apply to the British, it applies to all nationalities. If you are non resident you do not have to make a Spanish will. Making a Spanish will, will just save your heirs a lot of time, money and hassle.

essexeddie
22-01-2016, 08:53
We are all aware of the benefit of a will. I've had a Spanish one for nearly 30 years. We are talking about the new directive and the need to have it added to your existing will.

Tony the Welder
22-01-2016, 09:16
We are all aware of the benefit of a will. I've had a Spanish one for nearly 30 years. We are talking about to new directive and the need to have it added to your existing will.

Some people are not aware of the hassle they would cause their heirs if there is no Spanish Will in place. If you have had a Spanish Will for nearly 30 years then I applaud you for being sensible and hope that your Spanish Will is written according to the successions laws in Spain. Article 21 of the new directive states that if article 22 (national law applies) is not quoted then Spanish succession applies. Bear in mind the spouse under Spanish succession law is third in the inheriting order - children, grandchildren - parents - spouse. You also can not add to a Spanish Will like you can in the UK, you have to make a complete new Will.