PDA

View Full Version : Education Schooling in Tenerife

Jenny C
23-01-2016, 13:13
Hi there,

We are planing to move to Tenerife in May and had a few questions to ask to put my mind at rest!
My son is 9 years old and will be nearly 10 when he starts school there in September. Do many of the Spanish state schools have English language/teaching assistants there to help with the language barrier? I know that my son is reaching the age where it may be difficult to make the transition to Spanish school. My daughter is 6 (7 in May) so I'm not over ally worried bout her as she's a bit younger. Any people on here put a 10 year old in the Spanish system and it been ok?
Thanks

Ecky Thump
23-01-2016, 22:17
Bump.......

mirni
07-04-2017, 15:13
wow, and this is from January, nobody responded. I just asked for some school recommendations today, I'd better sit down and wait...

DrScouse
31-03-2018, 20:08
Hi Jenny C,

I can't believe this post hasn't had a proper reply! One would think more people would be interested...

I was almost 9 when we moved to Spain. We got chucked into a Spanish school and survival kicked in: we learnt the language! As long as the kids get plenty of Spanish interaction outside of school they will be fine. That is a good incentive for you to get into the Spanish life also, it is very easy to fall into the all-English circles and not enjoy what the island has to offer natives (not to say there is anything wrong with the English circles though, we all miss home after all).

With almost 100% certainty I can say that there will not be class assistants to help. Trust in your children's abilities to learn. 10 years old is perfectly OK I would think.

There are also several English schools on the Island as well. They are privately owned, so you would have to pay. And it depends on where you plan to live. I would strongly recommend St Andrew's in El Sauzal, for example. They do from nursery all the way up to to year 6.

Don't let the lack of answer to this post put you off Tenerife... you will love it and will be very happy that your kids will have the chance to grow up on this Island. It is the best thing that ever happened to me.

Best,

DrScouse.

Rachel C
09-04-2018, 13:27
Hi Jenny, if you're still interested...
We moved to Tenerife in October with our two daughters who are 9 and 11. They didn't speak any Spanish when they arrived. They are both at the local Public school in Arona. There are quite a few other British kids and other nationalities. Their teachers speak a little English, the headmaster speaks excellent English, but basically they are picking it up as they go along. The teachers are enormously patient and supportive. The girls get extra Spanish lessons during English lessons. There is an English speaking assistant who comes in once a week, and the English teacher at the school is also on hand to help out with difficulties. The level of English the Spanish kids speak at eleven years is excellent too.
They have really integrated well and are making great progress. Personally I couldn't be happier with the public school here.

Tony the Welder
10-04-2018, 09:41
Hi there,

We are planing to move to Tenerife in May and had a few questions to ask to put my mind at rest!
My son is 9 years old and will be nearly 10 when he starts school there in September. Do many of the Spanish state schools have English language/teaching assistants there to help with the language barrier? I know that my son is reaching the age where it may be difficult to make the transition to Spanish school. My daughter is 6 (7 in May) so I'm not over ally worried bout her as she's a bit younger. Any people on here put a 10 year old in the Spanish system and it been ok?
Thanks

hi jenny sorry i did not see your post 2 years a go my daughter was around that age when we came to tenerife started her of in private school till we were sure we was going to stop here and she loved it but her spanish was very basic after 12 mouths we placed her in state school at first she hated it but after 3 months she was fleuent in spanish and really enjoyed going to school , if you did make the move maybe you could tell us how you found it and maybe help some one else , ps i hate school in england and could knot wait to leave but my aprentaship put me back in the classroom till i was 25 year old wish was there now