PDA

View Full Version : Other I have heard there is a shortage of spuds in Tenerife

essexeddie
02-02-2016, 11:19
I understand there is a shortage of spuds in Tenerife due to the drought. I think its only rained once since we came out in Oct. Could be more shortages if we dont get any rain.
But I'm not complaining.

Malteser Monkey
02-02-2016, 11:22
I understand there is a shortage of spuds in Tenerife due to the drought. I think its only rained once since we came out in Oct. Could be more shortages if we dont get any rain.
But I'm not complaining.

That sounds weird Eds. Tenerife has more rain now than ever before - (during the war...:D) back in the 80/90's you were lucky if you saw 5 days of rain.

Interested to see if this is the case mate

tfs1
02-02-2016, 12:02
But I'm not complaining.

Canarian Weekly reporting this week that the current lack of rain may reduce potato production by 60% in some places. It also reported that Canarian farmers are owed € 26 million by the Spanish govenment.

Tshirt
02-02-2016, 12:06
kingbaker should be able to advise on potato famine ;)

delderek
02-02-2016, 16:42
That sounds weird Eds. Tenerife has more rain now than ever before - (during the war...:D) back in the 80/90's you were lucky if you saw 5 days of rain.

Interested to see if this is the case mate

Interesting, yes I would agree more rain these days but,,according to this data that is correct but,,,the total amount per year is less.
Typical Tenerife, no straight answer:confused:

http://en.tutiempo.net/climate/ws-600250.html

Malteser Monkey
02-02-2016, 16:48
Interesting, yes I would agree more rain these days but,,according to this data that is correct but,,,the total amount per year is less.
Typical Tenerife, no straight answer:confused:

http://en.tutiempo.net/climate/ws-600250.html

No weather in 2005 then lol

It says there was snow in 2003 but there was snow in the south a few years ago (and in La Palma) coz cainaries reported it saying how people were driving in it.

Agree Del

I really don't think they're right coz it was a novelty in the early 90's to get rain

delderek
02-02-2016, 17:05
Yeh agree, I always treat Tenerife figures with a little scepticism.

ciderhunter
02-02-2016, 18:05
But I'm not complaining.

I'm not complaining either. I buy my Taters from Bejuca, just down the road from Iceland in Las Chafiras. They always have stacks of them straight from the UK. If you check the sacks it shows the variety and country of origin. Plenty of rain in UK apparently.

kingbaker
02-02-2016, 18:08
In Gran Canaria years ago, waiters would run out and jump around...................celebrating when it rained (a few sprinkles only):wave:

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Canarian Weekly reporting this week that the current lack of rain may reduce potato production by 60% in some places. It also reported that Canarian farmers are owed € 26 million by the Spanish govenment.

I think that that would mean the yield. If there's a shortage, we could send you some at a reasonable price. You won't have to put up with those mingin' jersey wottsits:laugh::laugh::D

Ecky Thump
02-02-2016, 18:43
I think that that would mean the yield. If there's a shortage, we could send you some at a reasonable price. You won't have to put up with those mingin' jersey wottsits:laugh::laugh::D

I didn't realise that Ireland imports Ayrshire Tatties.:D

Up to about twenty five years ago in the Ayrshire coastal area around Turnberry and Girvan, families came over from Ireland for their holidays and the the annual potato picking and stay in old cottages or the old Turnberry airfield buildings from WW2.....useless information!!

cainaries
02-02-2016, 22:16
I'm not going to tempt fate by commenting on rain or lack of it. In fact if the weather even changes tomorrow, I shall blame the Forum for it! Hadn't noticed a lack of spuds, though.

imablue
02-02-2016, 23:13
Bags of them in Mercadona..:cheeky:

essexeddie
03-02-2016, 00:11
Bags of them in Mercadona..:cheeky:

Didn't say there was a World shortage.

Angusjim
03-02-2016, 14:26
Are spuds the same as oor tatties:wave:

macdonald5
03-02-2016, 16:39
Are spuds the same as oor tatties:wave:

Oh put the potatoes in the tattie bag please !!

Malteser Monkey
03-02-2016, 18:50
Oh put the potatoes in the tattie bag please !!

Why is it tattie ? can ya nae afford a decent one:D