PDA

View Full Version : Internet Reliable high-speed internet in 2016 ...

stiletto
02-02-2016, 17:47
My situation is basically simple: because of my work, whether or not I can move out to Tenerife, to live, depends on the availability of reliable, high-speed internet.

I've found it surprisingly difficult to get reliable, factual, up-to-date answers on this subject. Estate agents, in particular, seem to be strangely uninterested in answering detailed questions about it, beyond offering bland generalisations, because they don't really know and are reluctant to take the responsibility of finding out, I suspect. I'd be really grateful for any potential answers to my specific questions - including, if possible, links to any websites in English.

My problem is that the kind of broadband advertised as 20mb/s, which then turns out to be 10mb/s, or even less, in practice (unless you live next door to the exchange), is absolutely hopeless for me. So I already know that most standard service providers' standard offerings probably won't be adequate for my purposes.

I work online and need a reliable minimum of 20mb/s (and 30-50mb/s would be much better), all day, every day. I don't mean necessarily 100-200mb/s fibreoptic cable (I don't expect that).

Reliability, speed and quality are kind of "everything" to me.

Price is very much a secondary issue.

My specific questions …

1. From what I've said above, are there any internet services widely available in Tenerife that would probably/possibly be suitable for me?

2. If so, are there any areas where they're definitely/definitely not available?

3. Do any Tenerife ISP's have English-speaking support reliably available?

4. Are there are any other online, reliable, up-to-date potential sources of information where I should be looking/asking?

Many thanks in advance for any responses.

Megaloo
02-02-2016, 20:04
I would be surprised if you got definitive and correct answers that a company would stand by in the UK. It is possible to get a reliable, fast internet service in Tenerife, more likely in an urban area than in the sticks. Telefonica have promised to roll out fibre to the whole of Spain, including the Canaries but just like the UK that last little bit to your home or place of work will probably be copper and it will depend on how long that bit of copper is that determines speed and reliability. There are a number of different providers in Tenerife but ultimately they all use Telefonica's infrastructure (I am ignoring all the other means of getting internet because none of them will be fast or reliable, just read about some of them on here). If you sign up with someone who has English speaking support staff all will be well until they say they can do no more and it's up to Telefonica to sort the problem.
Will you be renting an office or renting or buying a home to work from? Which parts of the island are you thinking about? I would find someone who has the service you are looking for and move into the next office or apartment to them.
I seem to recall someone on here in a separate thread saying they had two 150Mbs per second lines installed, fairly recently, have a search through the threads.

I believe the person you are talking about is Pooh that has the two lines? I have just had fibre optics installed by Movistar I live in the North but I believe many areas in the south have it too. I originally said I only wanted 30 mbs but wish I had gone for 300 so I am waiting for them to upgrade me, but I do get the 30 on my laptop on Wifi

stiletto
02-02-2016, 20:07
Thanks for your replies.

I'll be buying a home and working from it.

I'd probably slightly prefer to be in or near Puerto de la Cruz (1st choice) or Santa Cruz (2nd choice), other things being equal, but this isn't a big issue. Except for the perception that bigger places are likely to have better ISP's?

Finding someone who has the kind of service I'm looking for and moving next door to them does sound a pretty attractive prospect, at the moment! Anyone here with super internet and the house next door for sale?

It's so very difficult to find reliable information from the UK, and yet questions as fundamental as "whether to move" and "where to look" depend on it. (To be honest, I'm slightly surprised and somewhat disappointed that estate agents, these days, don't appear to take such enquiries seriously, or to be willing to invest any effort in answering them, but I suppose comparatively few people are in my position.)

I've been reading this folder of threads, in search of useful ideas/comments. Thanks, anyway.

Any/all further observations very welcome ...

cainaries
02-02-2016, 22:21
I suppose any estate agent is going to rely on the vendor for information. They aren't going to have tested it out. Just a thought.

Megaloo
03-02-2016, 00:28
I think you will find Santa Cruz is well covered with fibre optics and they are really doing well with the main areas in Puerto de la Cruz or near I am in La Paz and all around me are having it installed

tripadviser
03-02-2016, 10:42
Fibre optic in Roque Del Conde, getting 30mg with movistar

stiletto
03-02-2016, 13:13
Thank you.

Fibreoptic cable would be wonderful, and I'd certainly be willing to live in the centre of Puerto, or Santa Cruz, to have it reliably available.

Do you know who the ISP is, please?

melm
03-02-2016, 19:56
Thank you.

Fibreoptic cable would be wonderful, and I'd certainly be willing to live in the centre of Puerto, or Santa Cruz, to have it reliably available.

I came across a website recently which might just be of some interest to you. The name is International Coworking in the sun.
Google it and have a look. Good luck.

UKj
03-02-2016, 21:29
Thank you.

Movistar (Telefonica) are your best best. I've had significant delays / performance problems with both AirFibre and Vodafone and wouldn't recommend either.

Megaloo
04-02-2016, 10:25
Movistar is your best bet I am sure