PDA

View Full Version : Restaurants Lemon Tree (old Olive Garden)

tfs1
11-02-2016, 17:51
Has anyone tried the Lemon Tree ?

Previously this was the Olive Garden, generally a busy place where it was wise to book a table to ensure you got one, it had a full menu and featured a weekly curry night.

Although early days, the Lemon Tree appears to be aiming at the drink/bagette/sandwich snack market as there is no sign of menus etc.

We have just passed and apart from it being empty of customers, it looks a bit dowdy and without wishing to be over critical the signage seems to be a laminated piece of A4 paper with The Lemon Tree written on it, there are however, a few dangling Lemons to brighten the place up.

Early days, probably get the trade in on a Sundays / Tuesday on market days. Wish them well.

Ecky Thump
11-02-2016, 18:06
I wonder if it's under the original ownership of the restaurant ....Olive Garden/Lemon Tree??

Personally I never used the place as I always thought it looked a bit like sitting under a car port, but it certainly was a popular venue for those who wanted a British style meal and of course the curry nights.

essexeddie
11-02-2016, 22:48
Tried it once a long time ago and found it ok. But as Eric said we also didn't like the site. Just didnt seem right.

marbro8
11-02-2016, 23:25
the olive garden was all about good value for money. the curry was cooked by the english owner. and the english food was cooked by the asian guy:laugh:. we did like it. but it was on a par with one of our hungry horse or marstons pub grub type of food. don't get me wrong. when on holiday you do crave food like that.food that you know and love.like R&B'S on the front in los cris. we go there because we love the welcome. we love richard and his staff but it would never win a michelin star. but it is somewhere we would visit here in the uk if we are going out for a family meal. when my wife and i are going out on our own. we go to places like marco pierre in brumigam, adams bar, andersons etc etc. but there are places in tenerife that are just as good. leo's on the cc passerella is empty most nights. but it would knock most of our restaurants here in the uk into fitts. the standard of food in tenerife is so good that you can get what we would class as a gastro pub meal here in the uk. as normal pub grub in tenerife:wink2:

Angusjim
12-02-2016, 07:43
the olive garden was all about good value for money. the curry was cooked by the english owner. and the english food was cooked by the asian guy:laugh:. we did like it. but it was on a par with one of our hungry horse or marstons pub grub type of food. don't get me wrong. when on holiday you do crave food like that.food that you know and love.like R&B'S on the front in los cris. we go there because we love the welcome. we love richard and his staff but it would never win a michelin star. but it is somewhere we would visit here in the uk if we are going out for a family meal. when my wife and i are going out on our own. we go to places like marco pierre in brumigam, adams bar, andersons etc etc. but there are places in tenerife that are just as good. leo's on the cc passerella is empty most nights. but it would knock most of our restaurants here in the uk into fitts. the standard of food in tenerife is so good that you can get what we would class as a gastro pub meal here in the uk. as normal pub grub in tenerife:wink2:

Been in Leos couple of times in my opinion just a good average Italian been in better / been in worse in Scotland

Ecky Thump
12-02-2016, 10:09

As you say, they probably do serve decent food and the owners might be decent, friendly people, but maybe it's just me, but I prefer a restaurant owned and staffed by Spanish people or to me Tenerife will just lose any flavour of Spain and become Blackpool with sunshine......not that there's anything wrong with Blackpool as I go there every year and the KFC tastes good when it's Pishing down with rain on a typical cold summers evening!:D

Angusjim
12-02-2016, 10:30
As you say, they probably do serve decent food and the owners might be decent, friendly people, but maybe it's just me, but I prefer a restaurant owned and staffed by Spanish people or to me Tenerife will just lose any flavour of Spain and become Blackpool with sunshine......not that there's anything wrong with Blackpool as I go there every year and the KFC tastes good when it's Pishing down with rain on a typical cold summers evening!:D

I take that as Spanish restaurant = cheaper prices:laugh:

Ecky Thump
12-02-2016, 10:35
I take that as Spanish restaurant = cheaper prices:laugh:

If Spanish cheapness means that they don't have HP sauce, Sarsons Vinegar on the table, serve Heinze baked beans and the waitress doesn't shout "What yer wantin" means cheaper,, then I'm all for that.:laugh:

Angusjim
12-02-2016, 10:47
if spanish cheapness means that they don't have hp sauce, sarsons vinegar on the table, serve heinze baked beans and the waitress doesn't shout "what yer wantin" means cheaper,, then i'm all for that.:laugh:

snob........

tfs1
12-02-2016, 10:52

I see the current move appears to be Chinese owned restaurants ie Mi Gusta and Solyluna.

Ecky Thump
12-02-2016, 11:00
I see the current move appears to be Chinese owned restaurants ie Mi Gusta and Solyluna.

That seems the way it's going, both Linaris2 and Charly's are now both owned by a Chinese company, the one thing they do, is to employ mainly local Spanish staff and they have in the case of Linaris2 brought the standard of food and presentation up.

tfs1
12-02-2016, 16:07
That seems the way it's going, both Linaris2 and Charly's are now both owned by a Chinese company, the one thing they do, is to employ mainly local Spanish staff and they have in the case of Linaris2 brought the standard of food and presentation up.

Correction : I now understand that SolYLuna is still Spanish owned but do employ a chinese lady waitress.

marbro8
12-02-2016, 17:07
Been in Leos couple of times in my opinion just a good average Italian been in better / been in worse in Scotlandthe one up the hill past royal palm. towards the heights is better. is it bella roma?

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Correction : I now understand that SolYLuna is still Spanish owned but do employ a chinese lady waitress.it's owned by ava marie? if that's how you spell her name? our friends billy and linda go there most days

essexeddie
12-02-2016, 19:43
We also frequent Sol Luna quite a bit. Nice food with free garlic bread with a free brandy to finish.
Cant wack it.

Ecky Thump
12-02-2016, 21:17
We also frequent Sol Luna quite a bit. Nice food with free garlic bread with a free brandy to finish.
Cant wack it.

Our newest forum member.....Eddie McEssex:scotland:

marbro8
12-02-2016, 21:29
Cant wack it. we have always wanted to try it. BUT there is no way i could sit and eat there looking at richard and ben next door:lol: i would feel like a traitor:lol:

Ecky Thump
12-02-2016, 21:42
we have always wanted to try it. BUT there is no way i could sit and eat there looking at richard and ben next door:lol: i would feel like a traitor:lol:

Just tell Richard that you were a guest at Eddie's apartment and that he was paying your bill, he is well known in Los Cristianos for his generosity. :cheeky:

tfs1
13-02-2016, 00:04
Correction : I now understand that SolYLuna is still Spanish owned but do employ a chinese lady waitress.

add Troya, next to the Reveron Apartments, to the Chinese owned list.

We didn't want to go too far for some food and popped in for our first visit tonight - had the 3 courses for € 9, good value, pleasant inside, friendly staff, loads of room between the tables and very comfortable. Would go again.

Ecky Thump
13-02-2016, 00:15

We didn't want to go too far for some food and popped in for our first visit tonight - had the 3 courses for € 9, good value, pleasant inside, friendly staff, loads of room between the tables and very comfortable. Would go again.

I don't know why, but the Troya over the last few years has had several owners and face lifts, but no one has been able to make it a successful restaurant....lets hope the Chinese owners can as its in a good position.

tfs1
13-02-2016, 00:24
I don't know why, but the Troya over the last few years has had several owners and face lifts, but no one has been able to make it a successful restaurant....lets hope the Chinese owners can as its in a good position.

Eric, you are right - its a reasonable location but for some reason has never been in favour, tonight on our first visit it felt different to places we have been to before, 'classy' is not the right word - just different, not rushed, not pushy staff, nice inside and good friendly service.

I did notice that the wine we buy in Mercadonna here in Tenerife at €3.05 a bottle is on their wine list at €17 a bottle. Large beer was a reasonable €2.50 - I had the beer !

Ecky Thump
13-02-2016, 00:27
Eric, you are right - its a reasonable location but for some reason has never been in favour, tonight on our first visit it felt different to places we have been to before, 'classy' is not the right word - just different, not rushed, not pushy staff, nice inside and good friendly service.

We shall give it a try in 74 days time.....maybe several times if it's good.;)

marbro8
13-02-2016, 00:31

We didn't want to go too far for some food and popped in for our first visit tonight - had the 3 courses for € 9, good value, pleasant inside, friendly staff, loads of room between the tables and very comfortable. Would go again.i am sure that essexeddie has been there and said that the music or background music was to loud? but we have friends who used to love the place when the local mayor used to have a stake in it. but said it had gone so down hill in the last year.

Ecky Thump
13-02-2016, 00:37
i am sure that essexeddie has been there and said that the music or background music was to loud? but we have friends who used to love the place when the local mayor used to have a stake in it. but said it had gone so down hill in the last year.

Last time we were there (October), there was no music being played, I don't think that they could compete with the noise from Harvey's, even the Shambles were complaining.
To my knowledge over the last eighteen months or so it has had three different owners, fingers crossed that the improvement continues.

Carol55
13-02-2016, 00:40
We shall give it a try in 74 days time.....maybe several times if it's good.;)

I'm so glad that you have told me where we are eating! :argue:

marbro8
13-02-2016, 00:53
I'm so glad that you have told me where we are eating! :argue:male chauvinist:D

tfs1
13-02-2016, 01:04
Last time we were there (October), there was no music being played, I don't think that they could compete with the noise from Harvey's, even the Shambles were complaining.
To my knowledge over the last eighteen months or so it has had three different owners, fingers crossed that the improvement continues.

For us it was 'lowkey' background music tonight which was ok.

To put it in perspective, it was good value at € 9 for 3 courses, not gourmet - other half had tom soup/sole/tiramisu, I had veg soup/lasagne/tiramisu, large beer and bottle of water, bill was €23 ish.

tip. You need to look at the back of the menu for the menu del dia options

essexeddie
13-02-2016, 10:58
The other night we could hear their music from the Swan bar. Far too loud for me. Not every night though. Its only certain times.
We have been in many times but get out quick before the music starts. Its a nice place.