PDA

View Full Version : Other Do the chinese toy sellers pay the restaurants to let them in?

ukchrishowell
17-02-2016, 16:25
I've just returned from a week in Adeje and saw plenty of flashing toy sellers walking around. in a couple of restaurants we visited (Marios & Victoria) in San Eugenio, a chinese lady walked into both of them unchallenged on numerous occasions.

Do they pay the owners to come in?

Chris

Ecky Thump
17-02-2016, 17:30
I've just returned from a week in Adeje and saw plenty of flashing toy sellers walking around. in a couple of restaurants we visited (Marios & Victoria) in San Eugenio, a chinese lady walked into both of them unchallenged on numerous occasions.

Do they pay the owners to come in?

Chris

No, but I think some of the owners pay them not to come into their bars.:laugh:

I find that most of the Lookie Lookie men are OK, if you say "no thanks", they will leave you alone, but the Asian girls I find are dispicable in the way that they target families with children and will try to get the children interested, even after the parents have said "no thanks".:mad::mad:

delderek
17-02-2016, 20:06
No one should be nieve, this is a real well controlled activity. Don't let them in, or let them in. The choices will be very nicely explained to you when you start your business in the busy tourist areas.

imablue
17-02-2016, 20:16
Naive Del...! don,t be getting misled..........:)

marbro8
17-02-2016, 21:01
i must admit. i could never be nasty with the looky looky men. i do find it tedious saying no thanks every 5 mins. but i have become accustomed to it being part of my hols now and take it in my stride.but i find it quite easy to be nasty and off hand with the chinese sellers?. in fact me and my niece find it hilarious to google mandarin translations for our english swear words. just to see the look of shock on their faces:laugh::ashamed:. but on the point of some bars letting them in and some not. i always believed that there was some sort of mafia mob system whereby if you tried to stop them. then you would get a visit. but i have been in loads of bars where they won't let them in and they don't seem to suffer any adverse affect? margarita's is one:dontknow:

ukchrishowell
17-02-2016, 21:17
Interesting reading - the Victoria restaurant has some Chinese connections, when we went there regularly a couple of years ago the Chinese were working there. This year there are Italians working but it appears to be owned by the Chinese. We saw the same lady visiting the bars regularly and going straight for the kids. The owners didn't acknowledge them at all, it just seemed strange hence why me asking whether any of 'their bosses' were maybe paying to allow them in as it didn't happen in all restaurants we visited.

marbro8
17-02-2016, 21:23
Interesting reading - the Victoria restaurant has some Chinese connections, when we went there regularly a couple of years ago the Chinese were working there. This year there are Italians working but it appears to be owned by the Chinese. We saw the same lady visiting the bars regularly and going straight for the kids. The owners didn't acknowledge them at all, it just seemed strange hence why me asking whether any of 'their bosses' were maybe paying to allow them in as it didn't happen in all restaurants we visited.quite a few restaurants and bars in tenerife are owned by chinese businesses now.like italian canarian etc. linares2 in los cris has been taken over by them but one of the good things about them. is the fact that they seem to favour local canarian labour.but i would also say that they would not turn away their own country folk either:wink:

ukchrishowell
17-02-2016, 21:34
Would certainly make sense :-). Thank you for the clarification. With not travelling with children we haven't been bothered by them coming in and certainly won't stop us revisiting these restaurants.

Ecky Thump
18-02-2016, 10:23
quite a few restaurants and bars in tenerife are owned by chinese businesses now.like italian canarian etc. linares2 in los cris has been taken over by them but one of the good things about them. is the fact that they seem to favour local canarian labour.but i would also say that they would not turn away their own country folk either:wink:

The majority of the restaurant owners who have outside dining areas tolerate the Lookie Lookie men and the Asian women, but if they see you being badgered while eating your meal they will get angry at them...the waiters at Linaris2 get annoyed when they are trying to serve food and they get in their way, it's at times like this that I had a better understanding of the Spanish language as I would love to know what they say to the Asian women to get them to move away so fast, even the Chinese owners smile and that's very unusual for them to show any emotion! :laugh: