PDA

View Full Version : Cars & Transport How do I transfer a gifted car and other complications?

vugglespeter
17-02-2016, 23:49
I live on La Palma. My problem is that the registered owner died in Germany several years ago! She left everything to her husband who resides back in Germany. He gave Power of Attorney to his son to dispose of the property in La Palma. The house was sold to a friend of mine and he gifted the 1882 Volvo 343 car to me. I have the letter. I went to Trafico and took it together with the Death Certificate, copy of her Will leaving everything to the husband and his letter of Power of Attorney to the son. Twice!. Both time told to go away, nothing could be done. They gave me the phone no of a German who might help me and I met him and showed him all the paperwork and his conclusion was that they had everything that was needed.

I've had no problem getting the car insured, ITVed and taxed for permission to circulate but the problem comes when an offence is committed and there is nobody around to whom the police can give the ticket. Such an event has just occurred. For 2 years the car has been parked (and unmoved) on my son's property, 80 meters from the road. My friend received a notification letter addressed to the dead lady from Trafico about a year ago stating that the ITV was overdue but I ignored it as the vehicle was off road on private property. On last Thursday a ticket appeared on the car with a 200 euro penalty for no current ITV! That cannot be correct so I'm left with the choice of a quick payment of 100 euros or contesting the validity of the penalty on behalf of the dead lady. It also begs the question of the legality of the police entering my son's property unasked.

The car has little value and I could just send it to the scrap yard and leave Trafico to try and get their fine from a dead lady but this will rob me of my loved and fairly rare vintage car. Besides I don't think the police had a right to enter my son's land or to dish out a spurious penalty notice.

If I pay the fine and keep the car then I am determined that the ownership should be transferred to my name. How on earth am I going to achieve this?

Also my son tells me that he thinks that if I appeal about the fine and it is not upheld my fine will then be for full 200 euros as the cheap rate will have run out. Moreover if Trafico take as long as every other official transaction takes here in La Palma there will be further escalation of the fine due to delayed payment. Is this correct? Moreover if I ITV the car and start to circulate in it and the fine has not been paid the car will be seized and crushed. Really?

A further complication is that my friend has just agreed to sell his house and I will therefor get no notice of further official letters to the dead lady.

Any comments will be greatly received, but please done moan to me about red tape and the mountain of paperwork required to get anything done here as I only to aware of that!

Peter

doreen
18-02-2016, 02:58
Gosh, that is complicated, Peter :) My only suggestion is to contact the person mentioned in the link who does car transfers at a very reasonable rate - and will always give a quote of the cost first (check the second post with amended contact details)

http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/showthread.php?36738-How-to-find-out-the-cost-of-importing-a-car-to-Tenerife