PDA

View Full Version : Illegal taxi turmoil

Canarian Weekly
19-02-2016, 12:50
ONE of the main problems concerning Tenerife’s taxi industry is the ever-increasing presence of “pirate” cabs, which is rampant at the two airports, and, increasingly, at the Island’s ports. In recent years, authorities have tried to improve surveillance to stamp out this illegal practice. But it simply hasn’t worked. So the local government has now […]

More... (http://www.canarianweekly.com/illegal-taxi-turmoil/)

Ecky Thump
19-02-2016, 12:59

Oh Dear, many of our British cousins will have to find proper jobs, next I wonder if they will target the apartment cleaners??

Angusjim
19-02-2016, 13:12

Oh Dear, many of our British cousins will have to find proper jobs, next I wonder if they will target the apartment cleaners??

Could be triple whammy on your preferred complex illegal letting / illegal taxis / illegal cleaning:wink:

TOTO 99
19-02-2016, 15:02
"Once the specific training is complete".....lol

I wonder what that involves then?...other than, well, looking....:laugh:

Their cops must be as thick as ours if they need training for this job....:laugh:

Tshirt
19-02-2016, 16:19
They'll probably get an high viz jacket with TAXI POLICIA on the back ......:dontknow:

TOTO 99
19-02-2016, 18:56
It's yet another waste of time and money tring to make it look like they are actually doing something.

They'll soon get sick of being unable to prove who's related to who, or whether or not any money changed hands. It's not illegal to take your friends to the airport so how are they ever going to prove it?

There are far too many legitimate scenarios for this to be a worthwhile project. :tiphat:

marbro8
19-02-2016, 19:15
It's yet another waste of time and money tring to make it look like they are actually doing something.

They'll soon get sick of being unable to prove who's related to who, or whether or not any money changed hands. It's not illegal to take your friends to the airport so how are they ever going to prove it?

There are far too many legitimate scenarios for this to be a worthwhile project. :tiphat:at least they are not wasting their time and public money trying to catch pickpockets:doh:

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Oh Dear, many of our British cousins will have to find proper jobs, next I wonder if they will target the apartment cleaners??i would NEVER use those pirate cabs. the bloke from the complex picks us up for €20:laugh:

"Once the specific training is complete".....lol

I wonder what that involves then?...other than, well, looking....:laugh:

Their cops must be as thick as ours if they need training for this job....:laugh: their cops may be as thick as ours. but they have guns:laugh:

macdonald5
19-02-2016, 19:46
If we MUSt take a legal white taxi are the same 'polis' going to control the 'white knuckle ride' drivers that more than money puts us off the 'legal' whites !!

kingbaker
19-02-2016, 20:20
Only a LUNING RAVEATIC, knowingly gets into a car acting illegally as a Taxi.

MORANS....effing MORANS.

marbro8
19-02-2016, 20:22
If we MUSt take a legal white taxi are the same 'polis' going to control the 'white knuckle ride' drivers that more than money puts us off the 'legal' whites !! to be honest we use the official taxi's at the airport now, because there is usually at least 5 of us. so we get a minibus. but everyone we use. the driver seems like a cast member from one flew over the cuckoo's nest:laugh: and would benefit from a care in the community programme:laugh:

macdonald5
19-02-2016, 20:43
Only a LUNING RAVEATIC, knowingly gets into a car acting illegally as a Taxi.

MORANS....effing MORANS.

Ok KB, we have many, many good resident friends in Tenerife, who if available are willing to pick us up or return us to airport We're NOT talking about some illegal touts
Here in Scotland if a friend was arriving/ departing from Edinburgh or Glasgow airport myself or hubby would think nothing of picking them up arriving or taking them back to return
What is the difference??

kingbaker
19-02-2016, 20:51
Ok KB, we have many, many good resident friends in Tenerife, who if available are willing to pick us up or return us to airport We're NOT talking about some illegal touts
Here in Scotland if a friend was arriving/ departing from Edinburgh or Glasgow airport myself or hubby would think nothing of picking them up arriving or taking them back to return
What is the difference??

Tell me would you allow them fix or install a gas boiler in your house without training/licence/public liability/registered etc.
I don't think so. Do you?

The difference would attempted INSURANCE FRAUD. for which the penalty might be jail in a foreign country or large fines or BOTH
Hows your Spanish language skills gonna cope with them apples.

I'd come and visit you though.....Maybe!!:(

TOTO 99
19-02-2016, 21:02
Tell me would you allow them fix or install a gas boiler in your house without training/licence/public liability/registered etc.
I don't think so. Do you?

The difference would attempted INSURANCE FRAUD. for which the penalty might be jail in a foreign country or large fines or BOTH
Hows your Spanish language skills gonna cope with them apples.

I'd come and visit you though.....Maybe!!:(

You're a right drama queen KB.

We don't need any qualifications or anything else to drive friends / family to the airport, or shops, or university, or hospital or anywhere else.....it's just driving. Probably less of a risk than if you drive alone.

kingbaker
19-02-2016, 21:06
You're a right drama queen KB.

We don't need any qualifications or anything else to drive friends / family to the airport, or shops, or university, or hospital or anywhere else.....it's just driving. Probably less of a risk than if you drive alone.

Tell that to the judge as you're being 'Sent Down' in Tenerife.:laugh: Even Ecky Thump isn't that tight.:D

Ecky Thump
19-02-2016, 21:40
Tell that to the judge as you're being 'Sent Down' in Tenerife.:laugh: Even Ecky Thump isn't that tight.:D

Ooh, I'm a lot tighter than that!:D

If someone I know in Tenerife who over the years has become my friend and offers to take me to the airport, then I see nothing wrong in that, as a example Mark marbro8 is visiting Scotland at Easter and I'm picking him up at Glasgow airport, I don't expect to be arrested for doing him a favour.???

marbro8
19-02-2016, 21:51
Ooh, I'm a lot tighter than that!:D

If someone I know in Tenerife who over the years has become my friend and offers to take me to the airport, then I see nothing wrong in that, as a example Mark marbro8 is visiting Scotland at Easter and I'm picking him up at Glasgow airport, I don't expect to be arrested for doing him a favour.???and we are very grateful. even though we ARE staying with you:laugh:. mind you i don't know if i feel safe judging by the pics of the damage to the new BM:laugh:

Ecky Thump
19-02-2016, 21:55
and we are very grateful. even though we ARE staying with you:laugh:. mind you i don't know if i feel safe judging by the pics of the damage to the new BM:laugh:

And I didn't say that by doing you a favour and picking you and Sandra up that Carol wouldn't refuse a 1.5ltr bottle of Vodka....Smirnoff of course! :vodka2:

The BMW is now back to its shiny condition and neither the police or the insurance company question me about the four Moroccan passengers. :D

marbro8
19-02-2016, 21:58
And I didn't say that by doing you a favour and picking you and Sandra up that Carol wouldn't refuse a 1.5ltr bottle of Vodka....Smirnoff of course! :vodka2:any chance we could get it in tenerife:laugh:

Peanuts
20-02-2016, 11:36
Good friend or friend? 20-50 Euro from - to Los Gigantes and airport * 4 to 10 times a day - 5 to 7 days a week - 20 to 30 days a month. Do the maths, no tax no insurance.... Best paid job in Tenerife

information
20-02-2016, 11:45
Good friend or friend? 20-50 Euro from - to Los Gigantes and airport * 4 to 10 times a day - 5 to 7 days a week - 20 to 30 days a month. Do the maths, no tax no insurance.... Best paid job in Tenerife

hit the nail on the head. I would never dream of charging a friend for giving a lift to of from the airport or anywhere else for that matter, same as they don't charge me when they return the favour in the UK. Once money changes hands that is not friendship in my eyes.

TOTO 99
20-02-2016, 11:46
I can see the argument from the legal taxi driver's side no problem......anyone else, it's just sour grapes.

I've said it before on here when people had the knives out to anyone who let their apartment illegally, let he who is without sin cast the first stone, and I still stand by that.

Let's strike a few off the list now shall we?
Ever done a job for cash and not declared it?
Ever had a job done in your home by anyone and paid them cash because it was cheaper?
Same with your car?
Ever bought anything cheap from some bloke down the pub?

The list could go on and on don't you think?............:tiphat:

Angusjim
20-02-2016, 12:01
hit the nail on the head. I would never dream of charging a friend for giving a lift to of from the airport or anywhere else for that matter, same as they don't charge me when they return the favour in the UK. Once money changes hands that is not friendship in my eyes.

Thats good to know can I be your "friend":laugh:

information
20-02-2016, 12:02
just because it goes on and most people do things like this, it still does not make it right.

A few years back a bloke stormed into bar where I was drinking, f ing and blinding about his car being towed. I asked if he'd parked where he should not have parked and he said 'yes, but there were loads of other cars parked there as well' I asked if anyone else was towed and he said 'yes, all of them'. I replied that just shows, just because everyone else thinks it okay to park there it was still illegal. Never took kindly to me pointing that out:)

Angusjim
20-02-2016, 12:08
Hands up I used an "illegal Taxi" in the past and to be honest they are really not much cheaper than a legal white knuckle ride. I would add I no longer do this as I have seen the error of my ways:tiphat:

information
20-02-2016, 12:11
Hands up I used an "illegal Taxi" in the past and to be honest they are really not much cheaper than a legal white knuckle ride. I would add I no longer do this as I have seen the error of my ways:tiphat:

and I was just about to add you to my list of ''friends''. You would have been number 2,453.

TOTO 99
20-02-2016, 12:27

You're not alone. I've done it. It was a long time ago and in my defence it was booked by the people I was travelling with.

I don't ask anyone in the UK to do it. I'd rather get a taxi and save them the hassle. Same on the other side.

A lot also do it because it's convenient. The guy is usually based on the complex so there's no messing about. He's cheaper because he thinks he has to be. I bet plenty of people would pay the normal price just for the convenience alone. Supply and demand..........

And Information, whilst I whole heartedly agree with you that just because people do it doesn't make it right, this does seem a rather minor crime really compared to most.
If you choose Tenerife as your home of choice I'm afraid the black economy was, and always will be part & parcel of the dealio. It's nothing compared to the UK that's for sure.....:tiphat:

marbro8
20-02-2016, 12:46
i can't see how it can be classed as a crime if it's under €400:laugh:

Ecky Thump
20-02-2016, 13:00

AngusJim the foremost member of the Righteous Brothers. :D

Angusjim
20-02-2016, 13:16
AngusJim the foremost member of the Righteous Brothers. :D

Ecky Youve lost that lovin feeling:laugh:

Ecky Thump
20-02-2016, 13:21
Ecky Youve lost that lovin feeling:laugh:

I've now got a lovable genuine Legal Spanish Taxi Driver to take us to the airport, who undercuts the prices of his comrades and his meter is running, but unfortunetly he can't pick us up from the airport as evidently that's restricted to certain taxis. :dontknow:

Angusjim
20-02-2016, 13:25
I've now got a lovable genuine Legal Spanish Taxi Driver to take us to the airport, who undercuts the prices of his comrades and his meter is running, but unfortunetly he can't pick us up from the airport as evidently that's restricted to certain taxis. :dontknow:

Ah yes Juan Shuggie McDonald I remember you told me about him, I believe you met him when him and his wife were they were cleaning your apartment:laugh:

kingbaker
Yep you have to pay to use the Airport facilities for commerce.

Ecky Thump
i can't see how it can be classed as a crime if it's under €400:laugh:

Well the €400 won't be coming out of my wallet as Carol restricts me to €50 and that has to last me the whole four weeks that I'm in Tenerife! :o

Ah yes Juan Shuggie McDonald I remember you told me about him, I believe you met him when him and his wife were they were cleaning your apartment:laugh:

Strangely enough his name is Juan and he arrives at the apartment about ten minutes before he's needed.
I think marbro8 's friends have also used his taxi service.

As for my apartment cleaners, they are (I think) a legitimate cleaning firm with their name emblazoned on their van for all to see. :fpull:

I'm even beginning to feel quite righteous myself......if only I could find a supplier of hookie Smirnoff Vodka, then I will be totally happy with what Tenerife has to offer! :D

kingbaker
20-02-2016, 13:43
About 6 years ago the Permit fees at Dublin Airport were €400-€500 annually. Along with checks from Airport Police and Taxi-regulator staff.

Angusjim
20-02-2016, 13:44
Well the €400 won't be coming out of my wallet as Carol restricts me to €50 and that has to last me the whole four weeks that I'm in Tenerife! :o

Strangely enough his name is Juan and he arrives at the apartment about ten minuets before he's needed.
I think marbro8 's friends have also used his taxi service.

As for my apartment cleaners, they are (I think) a legitimate cleaning firm with their name emblazoned on their van for all to see. :fpull:

I'm even beginning to feel quite righteous myself......if only I could find a supplier of hookie Smirnoff Vodka, then I will be totally happy with what Tenerife has to offer! :D

Yes seen that van ACME cleaners:laugh:

amanda
21-02-2016, 11:07
This guy that picks you does he pay the same taxes and insurances that the taxi drivers have to pay out abd declare just a thought

Ecky Thump
21-02-2016, 11:12
This guy that picks you does he pay the same taxes and insurances that the taxi drivers have to pay out abd declare just a thought

If you mean my post about the taxi driver named Juan, then yes I presume he does pay his taxes and insurance as he is a legal taxi operator.

amanda
21-02-2016, 11:15
No I wasnt referring to the legal taxi driver just the ones offering their services

TOTO 99
21-02-2016, 11:15
If you mean my post about the taxi driver named Juan, then yes I presume he does pay his taxes and insurance as he is a legal taxi operator.

So it's just the apartment owner that doesn't then?.....:laugh:

Ecky Thump
21-02-2016, 11:20
So it's just the apartment owner that doesn't then?.....:laugh:

Ooo, I have no knowledge of any illegal activities in Tenerife!:liar: but I know of plenty in the UK. :D

Ecky Thump
21-02-2016, 23:54
their cops may be as thick as ours. but they have guns:laugh:

That's the one thing that has always concerned me about the police in Tenerife, local policeman who have ofton been described on this forum as traffic wardens, litter police, sun bed officials, and lots of other names covering menial tasks.....and they carry guns!! Does anyone know what training they have before they are let lose on the streets, have their been any cases where the local police have shot anyone?

marbro8
22-02-2016, 00:02
That's the one thing that has always concerned me about the police in Tenerife, local policeman who have ofton been described on this forum as traffic wardens, litter police, sun bed officials, and lots of other names covering menial tasks.....and they carry guns!! Does anyone know what training they have before they are let lose on the streets, have their been any cases where the local police have shot anyone? only by accident:laugh:

Ecky Thump
22-02-2016, 00:06
only by accident:laugh:

Oh that's OK then, as long as they don't shoot Carol on purpose.... her insurance policy states that she is only covered for accidental injury! :D