PDA

View Full Version : Other I didn't get real meat on my Sunday roast today

norjac
16-03-2016, 23:36
Had a Sunday roast in a well known Cafe/stroke restaurant in the Apolo centre in Los Cris. The meal cost 8.95 Euros. It was classed as turkey but was not real meat but sliced processed meat. Now I know that turkeys are not being roasted in the kitchen but you can buy turkey crowns. This meat tasted nothing like turkey. I did not complain as my daughter was with me and she does not like fuss. I would like some opinions on this as I feel I have been ripped off and will vote with my feet. Surely if a meal is called a turkey roast dinner you should get what you pay for.

marbro8
17-03-2016, 00:18
Had a Sunday roast in a well known Cafe/stroke restaurant in the Apolo centre in Los Cris. The meal cost 8.95 Euros. It was classed as turkey but was not real meat but sliced processed meat. Now I know that turkeys are not being roasted in the kitchen but you can buy turkey crowns. This meat tasted nothing like turkey. I did not complain as my daughter was with me and she does not like fuss. I would like some opinions on this as I feel I have been ripped off and will vote with my feet. Surely if a meal is called a turkey roast dinner you should get what you pay for.unfortunately you get this here in the uk as well. they advertise it as beef/lamb/chicken etc. and it is reformed meat. the only places we used to use for a sunday lunch. was the roast house. which was the daddy of all sunday roasts but now closed. and diamonds. also closed. i would say that the surrey arms would be another good choice

Leam_Lin
17-03-2016, 01:19
Had a Sunday roast in a well known Cafe/stroke restaurant in the Apolo centre in Los Cris. The meal cost 8.95 Euros. It was classed as turkey but was not real meat but sliced processed meat. Now I know that turkeys are not being roasted in the kitchen but you can buy turkey crowns. This meat tasted nothing like turkey. I did not complain as my daughter was with me and she does not like fuss. I would like some opinions on this as I feel I have been ripped off and will vote with my feet. Surely if a meal is called a turkey roast dinner you should get what you pay for.

Where was this? must say we have stopped using our local chinky in uk, due to the fact the chicken is all in square bits, so definately reformed chicken.

marbro8
17-03-2016, 09:31
Where was this? must say we have stopped using our local chinky in uk, due to the fact the chicken is all in square bits, so definately reformed chicken.i don't know of a Chinese in the uk that doesn't use reformed chicken. It is all about profit and compertition. Nothing to do with taste. We should all start cooking our own. With all the recipe bookes on the market, there isn't a Chinese or Indian Italian dish out there that we couldn't create in our own kitchens. And it would be healthier. I have just taken delivery of a book by Julian voight. A white guy that has his own Indian takeaway up north. And I have successfully created chicken tikka masala. Korma and balti dishes. As good as any I have had delivered. Even keema nan bread turned out great.

Medman
17-03-2016, 10:01
i don't know of a Chinese in the uk that doesn't use reformed chicken. It is all about profit and compertition. Nothing to do with taste. We should all start cooking our own. With all the recipe bookes on the market, there isn't a Chinese or Indian Italian dish out there that we couldn't create in our own kitchens. And it would be healthier. I have just taken delivery of a book by Julian voight. A white guy that has his own Indian takeaway up north. And I have successfully created chicken tikka masala. Korma and balti dishes. As good as any I have had delivered. Even keema nan bread turned out great.

We are all coming to yours for dinner ! ...... :hungry: .... Mark's Mighty Meat Masala for me (with chips) .. :D

macdonald5
17-03-2016, 10:30
Great idea Mman!!.............we'll run a bus down !! :hungry::hungry::hungry:

Leam_Lin
17-03-2016, 11:23
i don't know of a Chinese in the uk that doesn't use reformed chicken. It is all about profit and compertition. Nothing to do with taste. We should all start cooking our own. With all the recipe bookes on the market, there isn't a Chinese or Indian Italian dish out there that we couldn't create in our own kitchens. And it would be healthier. I have just taken delivery of a book by Julian voight. A white guy that has his own Indian takeaway up north. And I have successfully created chicken tikka masala. Korma and balti dishes. As good as any I have had delivered. Even keema nan bread turned out great.

I agree Mark, I have started to cook again, Uncle Ben's a good help also I think their called 'discovery' a jar of sauce with a small container attached with powder in. also have a 'rice steamer' that goes in the microwave.
Curry or chilli made the day before yum the flavour is much better.

bennoa1
17-03-2016, 11:41
Our friend, who used to be at North n South is now doing the same Sunday lunch at The Cruise Inn, Victoria Court 1. We'll be going when we're out as its lush. Beef and turkey €7 and €8 for lamb. I know a lot of you are down that way in LC so should be very handy - unfortunately we're in Torviscas so will get eth bus down!!!.

kingbaker
17-03-2016, 12:25

Cancel yer Easter weekend witt wotts his face, I'll get me coat. :crylaughing::crylaughing:

marbro8
17-03-2016, 13:42
:laugh: don't get me wrong it's no mean feat. getting the base sauce right is the major thing for the indian curry. all indian restaurants have a large pan of this in the kitchen. it is basically onions/cabbage/peppers/ all boiled together for about 2-3 hours. until the onions are really sweet. then blended into a soup like texture. then just add whatever ingredients you need for the curry you want. say for instance korma is coconut flour/almond powder/sugar and single cream:spin: my cupboards look like the inside of the local takeaway:laugh:

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Cancel yer Easter weekend witt wotts his face, I'll get me coat. :crylaughing::crylaughing:wotts his face will be taking ME out for one:laugh:

norjac
17-03-2016, 15:02
What does this have to do with a Sunday roast?

Leam_Lin
17-03-2016, 16:33

Don't throw your toys out the pram.

I did ask which restaurant you were referring to in your post.

tfs1
17-03-2016, 16:39
Our friend, who used to be at North n South is now doing the same Sunday lunch at The Cruise Inn, Victoria Court 1. We'll be going when we're out as its lush. Beef and turkey €7 and €8 for lamb. I know a lot of you are down that way in LC so should be very handy - unfortunately we're in Torviscas so will get eth bus down!!!.

We had the roast beef last Sunday and it was indeed excellant - free wi-fi if you dont want to talk to the other half !

Medman
17-03-2016, 16:49

I suppose the connection is food .. :dontknow:

Carol55
17-03-2016, 16:55
I suppose the connection is food .. :dontknow:

Your good at this I think you've been doing too many crossword puzzles with cryptic clues! :D

delderek
17-03-2016, 16:58
Had a similar experience with plastic meat, a few years ago. Arrived a little early for Sunday lunch and was told "It will be about 10 mins as the Chef is slicing up the Beef". What they really meant was slicing open the packet of pre-sliced plastic meat. The place is now closed. Do some owners really believe that most people can't tell the difference?

marbro8
17-03-2016, 18:45
What does this have to do with a Sunday roast?i thought your post was about poor tasting meat?

norjac
17-03-2016, 19:16
What's all this got to do with roast dinners?

Carol55
17-03-2016, 19:21
What's all this got to do with roast dinners?

One of the main ingredients in a roast dinner is meat, or have I got that wrong???

norjac
17-03-2016, 19:36
It's just that the post changed to home cooking. Really can't understand why a restaurant with a good reputation would want to spoil it. They used to serve proper turkey. Do you have any comeback, should you ask if they serve processed meat? Do they have trading standards in Tenerife? Is it an offence? Just interested as it annoyed me.

delderek
18-03-2016, 14:56
It's just that the post changed to home cooking. Really can't understand why a restaurant with a good reputation would want to spoil it. They used to serve proper turkey. Do you have any comeback, should you ask if they serve processed meat? Do they have trading standards in Tenerife? Is it an offence? Just interested as it annoyed me.

You could ask, but you're going to get an answer like " We have our own prime beef herd on our farm". Always remember, It is Tenerife. All part of its charm, where everyone is a Master Chef, A master Builder, A top Brain surgeon, but mostly Master Bull****er's.:whistle:

norjac
18-03-2016, 19:21
They are nice people and I don't want to cause any problems for their business. I was just interested to know if this is a regular thing in Tenerife.

DragonPaul
18-05-2016, 21:51
No i can assure u this is not the norm......im not even going to get into all the stuff everyone obviously knows so much about....like suppliers of meat etc. ......dont come to tenerife n slag everyonw off....stay in sunny Britain with all the fab things it has lol lol delboyderek