PDA

View Full Version : Relocation Your FIRST Spanish Driving Experience in Tenerife

galracer
17-03-2016, 17:45
Good evening :-)

My husband and i have taken the plunge to drive around Tenerife for a few weeks starting next week. I have seen the way cars are driven in Tenerife and i'm nervous as hell.

I have been driving in UK for over 10 years while my husband has been driving for over 20 years in UK but we have never driven in Tenerife before.

Can you guys please give us your first driving experience in Tenerife? :lol::hello:

caz12
17-03-2016, 20:53
driving in Tenerife is fine all I do is pull over when the traffic behind gets a bit long just take your time you will soon get used to driving around even parking is easy been all over Tenerife in the car good luck you will be fine

bennoa1
18-03-2016, 00:00
Most drivers are lunatics so keep your eyes everywhere. Just drive like they do, ie drive quick, brake as late as possible, and indicate when you want to overtake to intimidate the person you want to squeeze past. Also pull into exits on motorways as late as possible. And don't forget at islands give way to the left and any lane goes, and don't bother indicating as nobody else will.

Malteser Monkey
18-03-2016, 09:30
Roundabouts have totally different meanings over there - it's anyones guess to what lane and where you are going.

Also some use their indicators when they are slowing down eg at crossings.

bennoa1
18-03-2016, 09:55
Roundabouts have totally different meanings over there - it's anyones guess to what lane and where you are going.

Also some use their indicators when they are slowing down eg at crossings.

I do the indicator thing at crossings now all the time. Indicate left so nobody overtakes you. Its a great idea - not sure i'd implement anything else from their driving habits.

Malteser Monkey
18-03-2016, 10:07
I do the indicator thing at crossings now all the time. Indicate left so nobody overtakes you. Its a great idea - not sure i'd implement anything else from their driving habits.

Left yes that's a good I idea tho don't they indicate right there ? Ooo can't remember now

bennoa1
18-03-2016, 11:03
Left yes that's a good I idea tho don't they indicate right there ? Ooo can't remember now

Defo left as they overtake on that side. Opposite to us - take it you don't drive there?

Malteser Monkey
18-03-2016, 11:09
Defo left as they overtake on that side. Opposite to us - take it you don't drive there?

Used to when I lived there, not been back for quite a while

bennoa1
18-03-2016, 11:13
Seen a few people going the wrong way around islands - assuming brits. I'm a fast and fairly aggressive driver in the UK (had sports cars for nearly 30 years which helps) so luckily fits in wheel with their driving style.

canarybird
18-03-2016, 11:49
I've lived and been driving here for over thirty years. Don't have any problems....I use my indicator and always manage the roundabouts easily.

Maybe I find it easy because I live in the north where other drivers seem to be quite civilised.

I think putting on your left blinker when you have to suddenly stop for a pedestrian is a good idea as it warns the drivers behind not to try and pass because there is an unexpected reason to stop.

Putting on hazard lights is not a good idea as the button is on the other side of the dashboard and here it is meant to be used only when there is a sort of an emergency.

Usage of roundabouts is definitely not the same as in the UK, but I have never lived or driven over there so don't have a problem.

Here you just go around in the outer lane until you come to your exit, easy peasy. (Roundabout discussions are heated on any forum so don't want to even begin.)

I find driving locally just fine, and I've driven for years in Spain, Europe and North America.

Good luck. :)

kingbaker
18-03-2016, 16:48
Nice save there re roundabouts Canarybird.;);)

Anne 2009
18-03-2016, 17:13
I have,nt driven abroad but i will say the taxi ride from the airport to the apartment is scary enough for me. :pray:

essexeddie
18-03-2016, 17:38
I have found the police are quite strict on road markings. Don't cross over a continuous white line. Even if you see a parking space that means crossing the white line to park. The Uk police don't seem to worry too much about that. Yep the roundabout fiasco is quite hilarious and takes some getting used to as is that ridiculers left hand indicator nonsense. Times I've been caught out when behind and thinking they are turning left. Everybody in the world flashes their headlights but not in Tenerife. Otherwise I find the driving in Tenerife quite good but then I do drive in the London area.

Liftman
18-03-2016, 19:14
Beware of the flashing headlights.
In many Latin American countries it means "I'm coming through" rather than "After you".

Do you get many South Americans in the Canaries?

Also, in Venezuela, having your hazard lights on is to alert other road users that you are drunk, so stay away! :drunk2::drunk2:

canarybird
19-03-2016, 09:20
In my experience the flashing lights has always meant "after you", especially at a pedestrian crossing where a driver flashes to let the pedestrian know he has seen him and is stopping to let him cross.