PDA

View Full Version : Other A Warning re: pickpockets on the Golf Del Sur

Margaretta
28-03-2016, 14:46
This is probably the first truly negative post I have put on the Forum in ten years.
We had a few great times with our friends who were staying in GDS until our return to the UK last Wednesday. They checked out of their apartment complex on Thursday morning and after breakfast went for a long walk to the Marina, Amarilla Golf and back to San Blas. When in Hyperdino our friend realised that his wallet had gone. They retraced their steps and then remembered that a couple had stopped them with a map to ask directions. They returned to the apartment complex where the receptionists were extremely helpful. Cards were cancelled by phone and the police called. They were given a crime number but the police said that they needed to report to the Guardia Civil at the airport as they could give them a description of the couple. It was fortunate that the wife had her card and some English money which the receptionist kindly changed up for the taxi. No-one was in the policia office at the airport and a member of the Guardia was having a drink; he didn't want to know.
On the plane a lady told them that the same couple had stolen her purse in a similar manner outside the Vincci. She also saw them walking to El Medano but again the Guardia showed no interest in her detailed description.
Please be very careful and carry little with you. Our friends are mindful of their possessions but they had checked out so had to carry their things with them. I'm sure I have read of this couple before?

tfs1
28-03-2016, 16:04
This is probably the first truly negative post I have put on the Forum in ten years.
We had a few great times with our friends who were staying in GDS until our return to the UK last Wednesday. They checked out of their apartment complex on Thursday morning and after breakfast went for a long walk to the Marina, Amarilla Golf and back to San Blas. When in Hyperdino our friend realised that his wallet had gone. They retraced their steps and then remembered that a couple had stopped them with a map to ask directions. They returned to the apartment complex where the receptionists were extremely helpful. Cards were cancelled by phone and the police called. They were given a crime number but the police said that they needed to report to the Guardia Civil at the airport as they could give them a description of the couple. It was fortunate that the wife had her card and some English money which the receptionist kindly changed up for the taxi. No-one was in the policia office at the airport and a member of the Guardia was having a drink; he didn't want to know.
On the plane a lady told them that the same couple had stolen her purse in a similar manner outside the Vincci. She also saw them walking to El Medano but again the Guardia showed no interest in her detailed description.
Please be very careful and carry little with you. Our friends are mindful of their possessions but they had checked out so had to carry their things with them. I'm sure I have read of this couple before?

Same story and same m.o. here yesterday lunchtime near the Mirador strip. The man with the map mumbles something and gets you to turn towards him while he points to somewhere on the map while his 'wife' helps herself to your wallet from your 'blind' side.

Luckily for the person targetted yesterday he felt the woman trying to get into his manbag and swiped her hand away and said a few choice words to them as they both walked away as if nothing had happened.

essexeddie
28-03-2016, 16:10
So the moral of the story is if anyone approaches you with a map and asks you the way, kick them in the nuts.

martincrabb99
28-03-2016, 16:18
A useful reminder to all about the old distraction method which is a common method utilised by serial pickpockets all over the world.

Ecky Thump
28-03-2016, 16:52
A useful reminder to all about the old distraction method which is a common method utilised by serial pickpockets all over the world.

I honestly think that we forget that Tenerife is just like anywhere else in the world and that there are pickpockets out there looking for vulnerable people and that they can be found in abundance in certain areas like the El Mirador Strip, it's a everyday occurance to see people on holiday staggering back to their apartment/hotel after a evening out of liquid enjoyment.;)

trevorife2
28-03-2016, 16:59

You're back ???!!!!!!!

Margaretta
28-03-2016, 17:00
Peoples, it's not at all a reflection on Tenerife but this couple are a menace and the police should be shown up for not pursuing them despite all the descriptions they must have received. My friends had not been drinking. This happened during the morning on a very public walkway.

tfs1
28-03-2016, 18:21
You're back ???!!!!!!!

my thoughts exactly

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Peoples, it's not at all a reflection on Tenerife but this couple are a menace and the police should be shown up for not pursuing them despite all the descriptions they must have received. My friends had not been drinking. This happened during the morning on a very public walkway.

Same with my friends story - he is a 6ft+ ex copper.

martincrabb99
28-03-2016, 18:26
Yes I'm back after about a years absence, I still have my place in Tenerife and find the information on here so useful to assist me on my frequent visits��

I read that an Algerian team had been arrested and bailed recently and there lies the problem....it would be better if they were remanded in custody awaiting trial and if found guilty deported....This should be the rule all over the world

Susief23
28-03-2016, 21:50
Yes I'm back after about a years absence, I still have my place in Tenerife and find the information on here so useful to assist me on my frequent visitsí*˝í¸Ž

I read that an Algerian team had been arrested and bailed recently and there lies the problem....it would be better if they were remanded in custody awaiting trial and if found guilty deported....This should be the rule all over the world

Good to see you back Martin x

LUCKY
29-03-2016, 11:28
Surely not in Lower GDS!

Ecky Thump
29-03-2016, 15:05
Surely not in Lower GDS!

No Way....Every one knows that the only people who have something worth stealing are from UPPER GDS! :D

LUCKY
29-03-2016, 17:16
No Way....Every one knows that the only people who have something worth stealing are from UPPER GDS! :D
Yes the residents of Mid GDS are sightly better off than those of Lower GDS but the residents of Upper GDS are the tops.And I should know as I was amongst them during the Christmas period.

Ecky Thump
29-03-2016, 17:45
Yes the residents of Mid GDS are sightly better off than those of Lower GDS but the residents of Upper GDS are the tops.And I should know as I was amongst them during the Christmas period.

This says it all. :lol:

Golden Years Of British Comedy: The Swinging Sixties - YouTube
https://www.youtube.com › watch
Video for youtube the john cleese two ronnies i look up to him

martincrabb99
29-03-2016, 20:58
Good to see you back Martin x

Thank you Susief23

clivey
30-03-2016, 20:18
Thank you Susief23

Sorry to report that I have to report instances of the same up in PDLC; "Mrs clivey swearing blind that shes been hit on twice" , though I personally doubt it, Mrs clivey not being the kind of Girly I,d recommend coming up against.

I know it,s a bit obvious but I always try to carry as little as I need and as much as I can afford to lose. My Phones another issue though and I often wake up in cold sweats worrying about what I would do if I lost it.

Margaretta
31-03-2016, 16:04
I've enjoyed the banter but have now heard from a friend who lives in GDS about this couple trying the same trick with the map on her husband twice in the last three weeks. This time he wasn't carrying any money, just out for a walk and the second time they nearly got his keys!!
My husband and I feel like deliberately luring and photographing them for the Guardia as this will just go on and on and hit so many tourists in the area. But we are now in the UK. The man is older and the woman short and stocky. He apparently holds the map upside down and doesn't APPEAR to understand English. A really mean scam and these people are getting away with it in a truly obvious manner. Where are Maigret, Morse and even The Night manager when you need them?

LindaD
31-03-2016, 21:33
I've enjoyed the banter but have now heard from a friend who lives in GDS about this couple trying the same trick with the map on her husband twice in the last three weeks. This time he wasn't carrying any money, just out for a walk and the second time they nearly got his keys!!
My husband and I feel like deliberately luring and photographing them for the Guardia as this will just go on and on and hit so many tourists in the area. But we are now in the UK. The man is older and the woman short and stocky. He apparently holds the map upside down and doesn't APPEAR to understand English. A really mean scam and these people are getting away with it in a truly obvious manner. Where are Maigret, Morse and even The Night manager when you need them?

Forewarned is forearmed though Margaretta and as I'm heading off there very soon I'm thankful for these posts. We don't take much out with us when we go walking about and use a bum bag usually hidden under t shirts, however I expect they are very clever and we will be keeping a close eye on our bags. However, and I'm sure all reading this will be the same, if we're ever approached by someone with a map we'll certainly know what to do - keep walking!!!!!:nono:

macdonald5
31-03-2016, 21:47
And tell them where to stick their maps !!

LindaD
31-03-2016, 21:57

Yes indeed - somewhere the sun don't shine :agree::agree:

kingbaker
31-03-2016, 23:05

Oh!! Charming!!:lol:

A classy broad!!:bowdown:

Margaretta
31-03-2016, 23:41
And if anyone can take photos unsurrepticiously and show the Guardia I think they will have to act. I'm sure the people we know who have been tricked by them would back up any police action.
But photos on a website would not be correct procedure. Permissable for the Guardia only I'm sure.

Medman
01-04-2016, 08:22
Yes indeed - somewhere the sun don't shine :agree::agree:

Fife ? .................

macdonald5
01-04-2016, 08:31
Or the Lothians !!

Medman
01-04-2016, 08:40
Or the Lothians !!

That does sound painful !! :laugh:

macdonald5
01-04-2016, 08:51
Oh!! Charming!!:lol:

A classy broad!!:bowdown:

The time two of them approached us with intent ( side of Harley's) was the high decibels of my voice that chased them !!
And it was not ladylike words !! Fiddlesticks not

karinagal
01-04-2016, 10:19
Yup, I'm still alive! When I go out for a walk on my own, I take one of those hiking pole thingies with me.. Usually, I take it because I'm always scared on falling on me chorus-and-verse when crossing rough ground along the coastal path.. However, I HAVE noticed that it tends to deter people from approaching you.. Doubt it would have been appropriate for the poor couple in the original post, but might be of use to others?

Ecky Thump
01-04-2016, 11:15
Yup, I'm still alive! When I go out for a walk on my own, I take one of those hiking pole thingies with me.. Usually, I take it because I'm always scared on falling on me chorus-and-verse when crossing rough ground along the coastal path.. However, I HAVE noticed that it tends to deter people from approaching you.. Doubt it would have been appropriate for the poor couple in the original post, but might be of use to others?

And when will you be next departing the attractions of Cumbernauld for Tenerife?

I hope to be passing Cumbernauld over the next couple of weeks for the dubious delights of visiting family in Montrose.:cry:

karinagal
01-04-2016, 11:40
And when will you be next departing the attractions of Cumbernauld for Tenerife?

I hope to be passing Cumbernauld over the next couple of weeks for the dubious delights of visiting family in Montrose.:cry:

Currently residing in Amarilla Golf.. Just about to head to the (lower?) GDS Friday market and then a bijoux stroll to the Pancake Café.... Back in less than sunny Cumbernauld midweek..

seanocelt
01-04-2016, 19:59
Or the Lothians !!

Oi!!!!! says the Dalkeith guy here!

macdonald5
01-04-2016, 20:07
Oi!!!!! says the Dalkeith guy here!

Dalkeith is the posh side !!

LindaD
01-04-2016, 20:19
Fife ? .................

Yir right there Medman, rain has been lashing doon aw day!!!!!

tfs1
02-04-2016, 09:24
I heard yesterday that someone got their hand wallet pinched with the 'map' trick just as they were getting out of a taxi in Los Cristianos (from the airport) - they hadn't even got to their apartment. By the time they realised it was missing the taxi and thieves had gone. Cards, money, passports etc also gone.

macdonald5
02-04-2016, 09:56
What a nightmare !! Hope they got the help needed

Carol55
02-04-2016, 11:48

I've removed the temptation for the pickpockets to target Ecky,

I have removed the money from his pockets!!:laugh:

macdonald5
02-04-2016, 11:52
I've removed the temptation for the pickpockets to target Ecky,

I have removed the money from his pockets!!:laugh:

:whistle:
I'm simillar with my dear hubby, euros when in Scotland, tiny amount of sterling when abroad

tfs1
02-04-2016, 13:54

yes they did get help but sadly all to common an occurance, they like many others were obvious targets.

kingbaker
02-04-2016, 14:18
:whistle:
I'm simillar with my dear hubby, euros when in Scotland, tiny amount of sterling when abroad

Good job you're not with me, coz you'd not be with me anymore!! :crylaughing::crylaughing::devil:

macdonald5
02-04-2016, 16:04
Good job you're not with me, coz you'd not be with me anymore!! :crylaughing::crylaughing::devil:

I'd call that a result then !!!:whistle::raspberry2:

lar
03-04-2016, 18:45
hi just looked at this thread seen a couple Friday just down from Taurus between royal palm and el mirador. the guy had a map wearing hiking jacket cap sunglasses the women staying about 20 feet away I thought a bit odd behaviour. I will now take a small camera with me when out and about

Margaretta
03-04-2016, 22:30
They should be stopped as this has been going on for too long and the couple are probably laughing. Maybe the Guardia will take notice of photos but do be very careful not to be seen if taking them and please don't publish them at all.