PDA

View Full Version : Restaurants Oliver's with a Twist restaurant - any good?

LindaD
05-04-2016, 21:57
I recently spoke to someone who said they were recommended to try this restaurant out in Los Cris. I've passed it a few times and never really paid much attention to it but apparently it is booked up,solid for months in advance. Is it that good?

macdonald5
05-04-2016, 22:23
I recently spoke to someone who said they were recommended to try this restaurant out in Los Cris. I've passed it a few times and never really paid much attention to it but apparently it is booked up,solid for months in advance. Is it that good?

Hi Linda we visited Olivers with a Twist after being recommended by another (good) Restuarant owner
Have now eaten there every time in Tenerife, need to book months in advance as very bijou ,cosy 30 covers and only one sitting . Menu is good food 'with a twist' , rather than fine dining ,don't be put off by location in a building just past waste ground near Apollo Centre
Owners are so so friendly ,excellent welcome
Very much worth a forward reservation by email or telephone

LindaD
05-04-2016, 22:27
Hi Linda we visited Olivers with a Twist after being recommended by another (good) Restuarant owner
Have now eaten there every time in Tenerife, need to book months in advance as very bijou ,cosy 30 covers and only one sitting . Menu is good food 'with a twist' , rather than fine dining ,don't be put off by location in a building just past waste ground near Apollo Centre

Thanks for that MacyD - as I say it didn't look up,to much when we past it the last time we were out but I'll make a point of going in for a wee look now. :thanx:

kingbaker
06-04-2016, 12:50

I'll have the threadmill oiled up and ready for your return.....also I'll have oiled the whip (lightly)
..........just in case you've turned into a malingerer. :laugh::laugh:

TenerifeFanatic
06-04-2016, 20:14
I recently spoke to someone who said they were recommended to try this restaurant out in Los Cris. I've passed it a few times and never really paid much attention to it but apparently it is booked up,solid for months in advance. Is it that good?Very nice Linda, we have been a couple of times!x

essexeddie
06-04-2016, 23:37
I think its overated. The food is not bad but expensive. The decor is grubby and well dated. Lousy location. Best of luck.

tfs1
07-04-2016, 06:24
I think its overated. The food is not bad but expensive. The decor is grubby and well dated. Lousy location. Best of luck.

We have never been and no plans to go. Looking at the tripadvisor feedback most people give gushing reviews and think its the best thing since sliced bread. I always think if its that good why not go every night of your stay ! Generally, I tend to believe reviews that are a little more balanced.

Ecky Thump
07-04-2016, 09:10

We have never been and no plans to go. Looking at the tripadvisor feedback most people give gushing reviews and think its the best thing since sliced bread. I always think if its that good why not go every night of your stay ! Generally, I tend to believe reviews that are a little more balanced.

I felt like that about the old Olive Garden restaurant...a overrated carport, so never went in the place....a upmarket "Joe's British Cafe". :p

TenerifeFanatic
07-04-2016, 20:08
I personally would not and indeed could not (due to the richness of the food) choose to visit this venue every night of my stay in Tenerife. I merely commented on it being very nice having visited it twice in the past three years which I do not consider a lot as we are out in Tenerife three times a year.

Liftman
08-04-2016, 18:09
I tried to book for May (any time between 12th and 26th) yesterday.

Sorry, Booked up completely until mid June!

Someone is doing something right.

essexeddie
08-04-2016, 19:29
I tried to book for May (any time between 12th and 26th) yesterday.

Sorry, Booked up completely until mid June!

Someone is doing something right.

Or a clever PR stunt. When we went after waiting weeks for a table there were two empty tables?
Mind you it is a very small restaurant so it doesn't take much to fill it up.

information
08-04-2016, 19:34

a lot of people I know go once maybe twice on their holiday as they class it as a special night. I doubt it would be a ‘special night’ if they went every night.

My family and many friends have been to this place and they all rate it very highly. As the last post said, they must be doing something right if they can be fully booked for 2 months in advance. All I can say is well done to all involved.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Or a clever PR stunt. When we went after waiting weeks for a table there were two empty tables?

sometimes tables are empty as you have a set time. That table is yours, each table is only reserved once a night. The time you are given is for the chef to prepare your food.

essexeddie
08-04-2016, 20:06
a lot of people I know go once maybe twice on their holiday as they class it as a special night. I doubt it would be a ‘special night’ if they went every night.

My family and many friends have been to this place and they all rate it very highly. As the last post said, they must be doing something right if they can be fully booked for 2 months in advance. All I can say is well done to all involved.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

sometimes tables are empty as you have a set time. That table is yours, each table is only reserved once a night. The time you are given is for the chef to prepare your food.

You seem well informed Mr Oliver or is it Twist?

macdonald5
09-04-2016, 14:03
We have been many times now and can confirm that tables are only booked one sitting , this can then look like empty tables but it is easier on staff especially chefs

Liftman
09-04-2016, 19:39

Not much of a PR stunt really if they are turning down a booking!

information
11-04-2016, 09:47
You seem well informed Mr Oliver or is it Twist?

Well if I am anything to do with it it must be very hands off as the only time I have visited was on the opening night. I just say fair play to them for trying something different from the cheap and cheerful and making a huge success of it.

As for the location, I would say it would be a lower rent local and rather than move to a better local, hiring more staff and raising their overheads by a huge amount they must be thinking if its not broken why fix it. Too many get ahead of themself and end up failing.

jambo1874
11-06-2016, 07:29
Me and family enjoy going there. Can remember when it opened and was only E9.50!! A bit deerer now just still good value IMHO.

Tallyho
03-03-2017, 20:09
Its odd that somebody is put off visiting a place by the positive reports, I thought TripAdvisor supposedly worked the opposite way.

I've been to OWAT and it was the most enjoyable meal I can remember but I wouldn't go every night...........and I said so on Tripadvisor!

macdonald5
03-03-2017, 20:55
Its odd that somebody is put off visiting a place by the positive reports, I thought TripAdvisor supposedly worked the opposite way.

I've been to OWAT and it was the most enjoyable meal I can remember but I wouldn't go every night...........and I said so on Tripadvisor!

Same with us, we visit at least once every Tenerife holiday but as you say not every night but that's one of the reasons we prefer self catering holidays .....visit various restaurants
Olivers certainly is one of our favourites

Angusjim
04-03-2017, 08:09
Its an Ok restaurant no idea why it get booked up months in advance but each to their own

tfs1
04-03-2017, 13:04
Its an Ok restaurant no idea why it get booked up months in advance but each to their own

Just had a quick look at tripadvisor and see a recent persons 'honest' feedback has been given the normal reply for a reply that is less than glowing. The owners think everyone should like what they offer - life isnt like that.

Angusjim
04-03-2017, 13:13
Just had a quick look at tripadvisor and see a recent persons 'honest' feedback has been given the normal reply for a reply that is less than glowing. The owners think everyone should like what they offer - life isnt like that.

Yes they do not seem take any negative posts very well, we went once and quite honestly it was OK both and food & service were good but just not brilliant ( i hope they do not read posts on here or I will get an earful ):laugh:

tfs1
04-03-2017, 13:29
Yes they do not seem take any negative posts very well, we went once and quite honestly it was OK both and food & service were good but just not brilliant ( i hope they do not read posts on here or I will get an earful ):laugh:

Never been, no plans to go but wish them well clearly they have a loyal following.

Angusjim
04-03-2017, 13:38
Never been, no plans to go but wish them well clearly they have a loyal following.

We have been in Los Cristianos at least 12 times since we went and have never looked to go back, there are many many restaurants in Tenerife that we visit again and again, but not this one it is just not for us

Tshirt
04-03-2017, 15:22
I couldn't be arsed to book a restaurant so far in advance, we just take it a day at a time. If there's a queue for a table we just go somewhere else, there's plenty of choice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

glassman
05-03-2017, 10:33
People tend to get carried away
It's a very good average meal
If anyone has ever eaten in good restaurants there really is no comparison
Don't know many top chefs serving Panga and chips
But as I say not bad but there are certainly as good or better resteraunts in Tenerife

Red
07-03-2017, 00:49
Never been and no plans to go. My sister went a couple of years back and hers words were 'fur coat, no knickers' kind of place. Menu read very good but the food wasn't of a good standard. Void of atmosphere too. I've read many threads in this forum and TA about best restaurants or 'what's your favourite restaurant in the resort etc and often thought I'd like to start a thread about worst restaurants or most disappointing restaurants and this thread has reminded me. So I won't clog up this thread but will start a new thread. No offence intended to the owners of these restaurants but I've had more than a few disappointing meals in Tenerife.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

junglejim
07-03-2017, 01:21
Any restaurant that serves Panga deserves to be avoided -cheap & horrible fish !

macdonald5
07-03-2017, 19:42
Understand that cod has replaced panga on menu
We asked last visit and my OH very pleased with his Cod and posh chips
Indian starter is now cod not panga
We pretty fussy eating out and have almost always been happy with welcome, service, quality at acceptable cost of this restaurant
Not an every evening but would never want that anyway
Owner Kathy and MaitreD Kevin always welcoming and efficient while serving
Chefs Chris and daughter do great work in my opinion

LindaD
07-03-2017, 22:33
Thanks guys it's been really useful reading the entirety of this thread and it's always good to see that there's good and bad views. I've walked passed the restaurant often as weve stayed in Los Cris the last 3 holidays and can't say i was impressed with the outside, however that doesn't mean that the food wouldn't be good. What put me off, as already been mentioned on here, is the amount of time you have to wait for a table, not for me I'm afraid. There's many restaurants I would like to try next time such as the Kiki ? just down the road a bit at the Apollo Centre. Roll on May so I can get started!!!!

macdonald5
07-03-2017, 23:24
Kiki Riki is very good !! Was on my radar for ages but till last year hadn't got there
Went with a large group of 10 friends and was very impressed
Four of us went back December/January and really found food, service and very reasonable cost good
Creamed spinach ,roast chicken and all we tried super
Definitely a revisit for us !!

LindaD
07-03-2017, 23:51
I'd heard it was very good macdonald5 and will definitely try it out when we go in a few weeks time. They do a special price on Sundays - there's usually an advert in the weekly local,papers. It always looks busy too - a good sign :thanx:

Angusjim
08-03-2017, 07:21
I'd heard it was very good macdonald5 and will definitely try it out when we go in a few weeks time. They do a special price on Sundays - there's usually an advert in the weekly local,papers. It always looks busy too - a good sign :thanx:

Problem for you may be the sign in the windows " Nae Fifers Allowed any day that ends in aY "

macdonald5
08-03-2017, 09:01
Problem for you may be the sign in the windows " Nae Fifers Allowed any day that ends in aY "

Haw you AJ !! My sister lives in Fife .......well maybe you're right :whistle:

LindaD
08-03-2017, 13:01
Hey you twa' take it easy on us Fifers - it's no aw bad, specially when it stops at the Tay Brig :lol::wink2: