PDA

View Full Version : The latest from Los Cristianos building collapse…

Leam_Lin
14-04-2016, 10:20
A block of residential apartments has collasped this morning in the centre of Los Cristianos, just hope everyone out at work/school.

tfs1
14-04-2016, 10:35
A block of residential apartments has collasped this morning in the centre of Los Cristianos, just hope everyone out at work/school.

I understand it's in the area near the Fortuna Nova restaurant / Asian supermarket. People may be trapped in collapsed building.

Sundowner
14-04-2016, 10:45
any idea which one ?

Calle del valle Menendez near cultural centre according to J.A.

Leam_Lin
14-04-2016, 10:46
I understand it's in the area near the Fortuna Nova restuarant / Asian supermarket. People may be trapped in collapsed building.

Been reported 'no bang' prior to it collapsing, what a terrible thing to happen.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Admin can you amend title from 'home & Garden ' to something more appropriate. Thanks.

Ecky Thump
14-04-2016, 10:50

This has been posted on YouTube a few minutes ago......

Building Collapse in Los Cristianos - YouTube
Video for building collapse in los cristianos
Duration: 0:23
Posted: 13 mins ago
Apparently a building in Los Cristianos collapsed this ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV7ting9UXs

tfs1
14-04-2016, 10:55
good spot but please check youtube link

looks horrendous

imablue
14-04-2016, 10:58
Just type building collapse Los Cristianos...worked alright for me

Ecky Thump
14-04-2016, 11:00
please check youtube link !

Try this...all I can do is copy and paste. :dontknow:

Building Collapse in Los Cristianos - YouTube
Video for youtube building collapse loscristianos
Duration: 0:23
Posted: 24 mins ago

tfs1
14-04-2016, 11:12
from elpais.

Local media report that three people were in the building at the time of the incident.

A neighbor told Spanish news agency Efe that shortly before the collapse gas could be smelt in the area, and that an explosion was heard.

http://elpais.com/elpais/2016/04/14/inenglish/1460627030_639993.html

Ecky Thump
14-04-2016, 11:13
This is another report and video of the building.

Breaking: Apartment building collapses in Tenerife | In English | EL PAÍS
elpais.com › In english
22 mins ago - The apartment block is in the Los Cristianos area of the town of Arona. The collapse took place around ...

You will need to use Google to see it.

tfs1
14-04-2016, 11:17
This is another report and video of the building.

Breaking: Apartment building collapses in Tenerife | In English | EL PAÍS
elpais.com › In english
22 mins ago - The apartment block is in the Los Cristianos area of the town of Arona. The collapse took place around ...

You will need to use Google to see it.

great minds think alike !

can also be viewed in his link

great minds think alike !

can also be viewed in his link

I understand we should expect some sad news of a number of fatalities.

I have removed my last message as there are conflicting reports on the casualties.

Red
14-04-2016, 11:48
Our apt is 300 meters away. We never heard any explosion but can clearly see the devastation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Canarian Weekly
14-04-2016, 13:20
THE dramatic collapse of an apartment building in the centre of Los Cristianos this*morning was described by one eye-witness as “like the Twin Towers collapse”. At around 9.30am, the four-storey building on Edificio Julian Jose, where the popular Boothen Bar is situated, imploded as some work was being done on the ground floor in the […]

More... (http://www.canarianweekly.com/latest-los-cristianos-building-collapse/)

Red
14-04-2016, 14:08
Just had a coffee in shires bar and they said the TVs reports are saying a wall had been taken out during remedial work causing the collapse. Not a gas explosion. Which explains why we didn't hear anything.

Canarian Weekly
14-04-2016, 16:40
There are no new developments. Despite what is being reported and broadcast in the UK at this time officially there are no fatalities from the Los Cristianos building collapse. Three people have been hospitalised and nine people are ‘unaccounted for’. The Arona council will hold a second press conference later this evening if there is […]

More... (http://www.canarianweekly.com/update-building-collapse/)

essexeddie
14-04-2016, 17:31
Just up from Fortuna Nova. Looks terrible, hope all people are found ok. Talks of someone doing building work and removing a supporting wall.

macdonald5
14-04-2016, 18:04
Scary situation , do hope not too many badly injured or worse
We eat at Fortuna Nova a few times so really feel for the area
Have always wondered if any building control on revamps of apartments etc, can structural bearing walls perhaps be disturbed ? My electrician husband only shakes his head at electrical ' safety' he spots

bulldog
14-04-2016, 18:43
Scary situation , do hope not too many badly injured or worse
We eat at Fortuna Nova a few times so really feel for the area
Have always wondered if any building control on revamps of apartments etc, can structural bearing walls perhaps be disturbed ? My electrician husband only shakes his head at electrical ' safety' he spots

most of the building around old Los Cristianos were built in the Franco era it was very hard to get materials I,m told ,God knows how they built them
in my opinion all buildings pre 1995 are disasters waiting to happen there was no real control back then.
My prayers go out to all the poor people involved .

amanda
14-04-2016, 21:06
Franco died in 1975 in los cris there were hardly any buildings just one hotel the morque, how do iknow cause I lived here then, all there was was couple of shops the church with just a dirt track in fact there was nothing

Lissalyon
14-04-2016, 23:14
It looks horrendous. Can't believe it.

Was only there 3 weeks ago!

doreen
14-04-2016, 23:19
The number missing now stands at 10 http://diariodeavisos.elespanol.com

I actually know someone whose aunt lives in that building ... amazingly she was out buying bread when it happened !

Sheikh Pip
14-04-2016, 23:20
There was a lot more than that there amanda, I have photo's to prove. I just don't seem to be able to upload them onto this site!

Lissalyon
14-04-2016, 23:23
How dreadful.is it just round the corner from the croquant bakery

doreen
14-04-2016, 23:32

Yes, just behind that road ... people are mentioning the Hideaway bar being very close ... not one I know

Lissalyon
14-04-2016, 23:43
It must have been terrifying. We are always in that area. I keep thinking where I've seen that bootien shop

TheBloke
15-04-2016, 00:33
it,s very difficult to find information at the moment on any websites.I imagine more will come to light in the morning.Someone I know owned the Bootham bar and has lost everything but I hope no one has lost their lives over this tragedy.

Megaloo
15-04-2016, 00:39
I read one person has died and 8 people unaccounted for So sad for all who have lost everything

Lissalyon
15-04-2016, 08:37
Is the bootham bar opposite the primavera restaurant. If so we were only there three weeks ago.

bulldog
15-04-2016, 09:36
There was a lot more than that there amanda, I have photo's to prove. I just don't seem to be able to upload them onto this site!

I agree Pip I know 100% there were lots of property in the centre of Los Cris probably as early as the 30,s there certainly wasn,t a dirt track road
through the centre of Los Cris as late as 1975 nice thought though the taxis being ponies and traps ,the motorway cobbled stones, the planes
fuelled by coal.Happy Days :laugh:

Ecky Thump
15-04-2016, 10:02
I agree Pip I know 100% there were lots of property in the centre of Los Cris probably as early as the 30,s there certainly wasn,t a dirt track road
through the centre of Los Cris as late as 1975 nice thought though the taxis being ponies and traps ,the motorway cobbled stones, the planes
fuelled by coal.Happy Days :laugh:

There are some scenes on this lovely old film from the 1960's that clearly show some of the buildings that are still in Los Cristianos today.

Video of Los Cristianos in the 1960s - Tenerife Holidays
etenerifeholidays.co.uk › tenerife-videos
29 Jul 2013 - This is an old cine film video taken in Los Cristainos Tenerife in the 1960s. It shows the residents of the ...

***You will need to use Google to get the link to work!! *** :dontknow:

Or copy and paste this....

Video of Los Cristianos in the 1960s - Tenerife Holidays etenerifeholidays.co.uk › tenerife-videos

macdonald5
15-04-2016, 12:26
Think our first visit to Los Cristianos was 1981 and it was minute in comparison to today
Remember Princess Dacil, Hotel Andreas and Moreque Hotel
We walked to Las Americas over sand dunes etc !! I honestly thought I'd die of thirst
Having watched many new buildings go up we were amazed the amount of breeze block with wire ties used

nurse ratchet
15-04-2016, 13:07
There are some scenes on this lovely old film from the 1960's that clearly show some of the buildings that are still in Los Cristianos today.

Video of Los Cristianos in the 1960s - Tenerife Holidays
etenerifeholidays.co.uk › tenerife-videos
29 Jul 2013 - This is an old cine film video taken in Los Cristainos Tenerife in the 1960s. It shows the residents of the ...

***You will need to use Google to get the link to work!! *** :dontknow:

Or copy and paste this....

Video of Los Cristianos in the 1960s - Tenerife Holidays etenerifeholidays.co.uk › tenerife-videos

Thanks for that., quite fascinating. I remember coming to to the south for the first time in '73 it's certainly changed since then, for the better I must say, although we could do without the pavement scooters ridden by fat chavs

nurse ratchet
15-04-2016, 13:09
So sad to hear of more casualties and I suspect there will be more as the "rescue" attempts continue.

willowlily
15-04-2016, 13:43
i do not understand the lack of info on this tragic accident and would have expected updates on their progress, maybe they have not made any progress.
i have stayed in los cris sept-may for the last 16 years knowing the area very well but this year my app was not available so am staying in calleo. i dread to think what i will see when i go into los cris
god bless all who have been affected by this.

tfs1
15-04-2016, 15:02
i do not understand the lack of info on this tragic accident and would have expected updates on their progress, maybe they have not made any progress.
i have stayed in los cris sept-may for the last 16 years knowing the area very well but this year my app was not available so am staying in calleo. i dread to think what i will see when i go into los cris
god bless all who have been affected by this.

Another well known website seems to be showing the authorities are giving updates every couple of hours today - latest news from them at 1430 is 2 dead, 2 injured and now down to 5 missing, some previously unaccounted for have been located elsewhere.

doreen
15-04-2016, 16:27
The local papers are giving regular updates

http://eldia.es/sucesos/2016-04-15/21-Encuentran-buen-estado-cuatro-personas-localizadas-derrumbe.htm

http://diariodeavisos.elespanol.com/2016/04/dos-fallecidas-siete-no-localizados-balance-provisional/

http://www.laopinion.es/sucesos/2016/04/15/encuentran-buen-cuatro-personas-desaparecidas/668873.html

Ecky Thump
15-04-2016, 17:58
most of the building around old Los Cristianos were built in the Franco era it was very hard to get materials I,m told ,God knows how they built them
in my opinion all buildings pre 1995 are disasters waiting to happen there was no real control back then.
My prayers go out to all the poor people involved .

What is clear from some of the earliest pictures available of the collapsed building is that some construction work was underway, as approximately six yellow acrow props can be seen holding up a floor section.

doreen
15-04-2016, 18:05
What is clear from some of the earliest pictures available of the collapsed building is that some construction work was underway, as approximately six yellow acrow props can be seen holding up a floor section.

I noticed that but wondered if they had been put in place during the rescue efforts ?

An aside: One of my earliest jobs was working in the accounts department of Acrow Engineers (there is no truth in the rumour that this had something to do with that company's spectacular (financial) collapse some years later !!)

Ecky Thump
15-04-2016, 18:10
I noticed that but wondered if they had been put in place during the rescue efforts ?

An aside: One of my earliest jobs was working in the accounts department of Acrow Engineers (there is no truth in the rumour that this had something to do with that company's spectacular (financial) collapse some years later !!)

No Doreen, the pictures that I'm referring to (probably the ones that you have seen) were taken within minutes of the collapse of the building. At this stage I wouldn't want to be the one to apportion blame on anyone, but it does make me think that it may have been caused by ongoing construction work. :dontknow:

Lissalyon
15-04-2016, 19:08
It's your worst nightmare isn't it. We were in benidorm in January and some of those monsters were 30 stories high.

lastperfectman
15-04-2016, 19:36

I was really hard to reminisce where this place is exactly looking thru' the photos, and I think it's quite close to that underground parking, a few roads behind Croquant.

macdonald5
15-04-2016, 20:05
Yes it's just next door to Fortuna Nova Restuarant (only a pathway separates) and just up from The Bistro ( now closed)
It must be a nightmare for all involved and the wider community

Ecky Thump
16-04-2016, 08:49
From another social media site this sad update was made at 11:30 pm last night.

Tonight has seen the death toll double with the recovery of two more bodies, a man and woman. The two reported previously as injured remain in hospital with their injuries, neither of which are in life-threatening condition. Work continues overnight again tonight, with additional heavy machinery brought in to stabilize a part of the structure that had become unstable so as to allow search and rescue teams to carry on with their work, the main thing being the search for the three people still unaccounted for.

tfs1
16-04-2016, 09:13
No Doreen, the pictures that I'm referring to (probably the ones that you have seen) were taken within minutes of the collapse of the building. At this stage I wouldn't want to be the one to apportion blame on anyone, but it does make me think that it may have been caused by ongoing construction work. :dontknow:

local talk very soon after the incident related to the construction work rather than gas explosion or anything else.

nurse ratchet
16-04-2016, 09:55
All very sad. I don't live in Los Cristianos but my local bank manager in Playa San Juan tells me that there was some construction/refurbishment work taking place on the old Banesto Bank section of the building.......maybe......just maybe.

tfs1
16-04-2016, 10:42
From another social media site this sad update was made at 11:30 pm last night.

Tonight has seen the death toll double with the recovery of two more bodies, a man and woman. The two reported previously as injured remain in hospital with their injuries, neither of which are in life-threatening condition. Work continues overnight again tonight, with additional heavy machinery brought in to stabilize a part of the structure that had become unstable so as to allow search and rescue teams to carry on with their work, the main thing being the search for the three people still unaccounted for.

a further report says that a mans body was recovered this morning taking the current number of fatalities to five.

a further report says that a mans body was recovered this morning taking the current number of fatalities to five.

A further body has been recovered taking the total number of fatalities to 6.

macdonald5
16-04-2016, 12:25
Sad,sad time for poor souls involved and wider community Tragis

Ecky Thump
16-04-2016, 13:24
All very sad. I don't live in Los Cristianos but my local bank manager in Playa San Juan tells me that there was some construction/refurbishment work taking place on the old Banesto Bank section of the building.......maybe......just maybe.

That will probably be where the Acrow props that can clearly be seen in some of the pictures supporting a section of concrete roof, at this time all the signs show heavy construction work has been taking place.

Rickiebear
16-04-2016, 15:07
Very sad, God bless their families and loved ones.

essexeddie
16-04-2016, 16:20
Will be interesting to know what happend. I bet someone is a bit worried.

junglejim
16-04-2016, 19:37
The final missing body has been recovered today- various nationalities -Spanish, Moroccan , Italian & Finnish so far.
.http://diariodeavisos.elespanol.com/2016/04/encuentran-cadaver-otra-mujer-los-escombros-del-edificio-derrumbado-los-cristianos/

Red
16-04-2016, 22:33
Last update I read was 6 dead and 1 person unaccounted. That was at 11am Saturday morning. Can't believe we were a few 100 meters away from
It when it happened. Our children kept asking if it was a terrorist attack. Sign of the times....

melm
16-04-2016, 22:52
Last update I read was 6 dead and 1 person unaccounted. That was at 11am Saturday morning. Can't believe we were a few 100 meters away from
It when it happened. Our children kept asking if it was a terrorist attack. Sign of the times....

Seven victims now accounted for. Its a sad sign of the times when our children's first thoughts are of terrorists. rolleyes2: Thats the world we live in now.:doh:

timmylish
17-04-2016, 00:21
Looking at the building, facing two floors up and half way up the steps, my darling lady and I looked at an apartment to rent long term but decided that for a 2 bed. it was just too small. Have to admit I went rather cold when I first looked at the photo showing the disappearance of the building behind and above the supermarket!

Red
17-04-2016, 08:29
Seven victims now accounted for. Its a sad sign of the times when our children's first thoughts are of terrorists. rolleyes2: Thats the world we live in now.:doh:

Got to admit it crossed my mind too
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160417/4eba5c862e18baaa66ce0289b9845b7e.jpg

amanda
17-04-2016, 09:06
There is a lot about the accident on tne spanish news

nurse ratchet
17-04-2016, 10:50
There is plenty of information available locally via the press and pages on Facebook. Were it not for this Forum now being populated by people just playing games then maybe there would be more info posted here.

The latest news for those interested is that a seventh body was found yesterday (Saturday 16th) at around 6.45pm, that of a man who has just been brought out of the rubble after his body was located by sniffer dogs shortly after lunchtime. This completes the total of those who were thought to have been inside the building when it collapsed. There will be a further press conference by Arona Ayuntamiento very shortly about how the rescue and recovery works will proceed from this point, and no doubt at this stage eyes will turn to responsibilities and causes for the collapse.
All public events in the area have been cancelled for the weekend and there will be a minutes silence observed at the football match today in Santa Cruz where CD Tenerife play.
I have to say that the emergency services have done (and are continuing to do ) a sterling job under difficult circumstances and with relatively small resources.

thanks to Janet ******** for the regular updates

Medman
17-04-2016, 11:10
There is plenty of information available locally via the press and pages on Facebook. Were it not for this Forum now being populated by people just playing games then maybe there would be more info posted here.

The latest news for those interested is that a seventh body was found yesterday (Saturday 16th) at around 6.45pm, that of a man who has just been brought out of the rubble after his body was located by sniffer dogs shortly after lunchtime. This completes the total of those who were thought to have been inside the building when it collapsed. There will be a further press conference by Arona Ayuntamiento very shortly about how the rescue and recovery works will proceed from this point, and no doubt at this stage eyes will turn to responsibilities and causes for the collapse.
All public events in the area have been cancelled for the weekend and there will be a minutes silence observed at the football match today in Santa Cruz where CD Tenerife play.
I have to say that the emergency services have done (and are continuing to do ) a sterling job under difficult circumstances and with relatively small resources.

thanks to Janet ******** for the regular updates

Thank you for the update, but please do not use this very serious thread as a vehicle for your insular opinion.

My thoughts are with all the families involved in this tragedy.

garlicbread
24-04-2016, 11:57
The Canarian government announced on Friday last that it has fast-tracked an aid programme which will see the families receive an immediate one-off payment of 1500 euros to help replace personal effects lost in the collapse and then a monthly payment to pay for accommodation for the next year. Efforts are already under way to find suitable rental properties in the area. Families evacuated from neighbouring blocks are gradually being allowed back into their homes after spending almost a week living in local hotels.

willowlily
24-04-2016, 12:08
The Canarian government announced on Friday last that it has fast-tracked an aid programme which will see the families receive an immediate one-off payment of 1500 euros to help replace personal effects lost in the collapse and then a monthly payment to pay for accommodation for the next year. Efforts are already under way to find suitable rental properties in the area. Families evacuated from neighbouring blocks are gradually being allowed back into their homes after spending almost a week living in local hotels.

I would expect no less for these people who have suffered this tragedy, and hope the investigation is concluded a.s.a.p
if only to stop speculation that the local building controls are not fit for purpose.

Ecky Thump
24-04-2016, 12:35
I would expect no less for these people who have suffered this tragedy, and hope the investigation is concluded a.s.a.p
if only to stop speculation that the local building controls are not fit for purpose.

Your right about speculation, but I don't think it's a case of the building regs. not being fit for purpose, I think it's more a case of have they been adhered to and if not why not. In the construction industry it doesn't matter what regulations are in place, if they are ignored, then tragic accidents are too often the sad outcome.

willowlily
24-04-2016, 13:13
Your right about speculation, but I don't think it's a case of the building regs. not being fit for purpose, I think it's more a case of have they been adhered to and if not why not. In the construction industry it doesn't matter what regulations are in place, if they are ignored, then tragic accidents are too often the sad outcome.

of course you are correct it is not down to regulations but a quick conclusion would cut out damaging rumours which abound and may put off people buying property just as Tenerife is rising from the ashes of down turn

Ecky Thump
24-04-2016, 13:25
of course you are correct it is not down to regulations but a quick conclusion would cut out damaging rumours which abound and may put off people buying property just as Tenerife is rising from the ashes of down turn

I agree with your sentiment about the finance of Tenerife, but I don't think that one accident involving the collapse of a building will have much impact on the income of the island. It's a sad fact that when the building industry is involved, then money is at the forefront.

willowlily
24-04-2016, 18:05
I agree with your sentiment about the finance of Tenerife, but I don't think that one accident involving the collapse of a building will have much impact on the income of the island. It's a sad fact that when the building industry is involved, then money is at the forefront.

i was really referring to the global downturn which did affect property prices globally including tenerife