PDA

View Full Version : Cars & Transport Goldcar: Has anyone had any good experiences with them?

barryk
01-05-2016, 08:32
Hi

Always use AR but have been looking at some of the prices for Goldcar which appear to be quite good and the cars are better.

I have excess protection policy etc and just wish to pick up the car leave the deposit on my credit car and go. Do not even mind paying for a full tank of petrol and returning full as long as I go full to full and get a refund.

Please could anyone advise if they are still hard selling their insurance policies, refusing to release vehicle if you do not take out policy, long queues making the return difficult, and all the other scams they are famous for. Any recent experiences would be welcome.

Suspect in my mind that I should stick with AR but need to check now and again

Barryk

glassman
01-05-2016, 09:50
Just read the reviews about Gold Car Rubbish company ,Autoreisen is one of the best

ciderhunter
01-05-2016, 10:36
A friend of mine had a rotten experience with Gold Car. Stick to Auto-Reisen!

tfs1
01-05-2016, 16:13
full full option will refund unused fuel but not the € 25-35 fuel service charge that's part of the fuel costing. I would steer well clear but it's personal choice - maybe give it a go and let us know how you got on !

http://www.rentalcars.com/en/airport/es/tfs/goldcar/reviews/

https://www.trustpilot.com/review/www.goldcar.com

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187479-i153-k8437362-Goldcar_Car_Hire-Tenerife_Canary_Islands.html

lesbroz
01-05-2016, 16:33
I wouldn,t touch them with a barge pole. A newspaper on the Mainland did a review of all car hire companies last year and Goldcar were the worst by far.

barryk
02-05-2016, 10:47
Hi
As I thought still a load of rubbish. We will stick with AR
Many thanks for the feedback

Susief23
02-05-2016, 14:40
Hi
As I thought still a load of rubbish. We will stick with AR
Many thanks for the feedback

Yes better to stick with what you know. 15 days hire with AR for €120 and we got upgraded to an Ibiza. Have 4 bookings with them this year.

UKj
02-05-2016, 17:15
I used Goldcar once, just under a year ago. Never again! We had to leave an enormous deposit for not taking out Goldcar's insurance and had to pay their inflated price for fuel instead of the price at the pump. The queue was also very long at the desk. They were not very friendly and had a take it or leave it attitude not only with us but other customers who questioned their high obfuscated charges. We had pre-paid online and they would not allow us a refund if we cancelled at the desk.

Every other time we've used Auto Reisen but they had no cars available on this occasion. Auto Reisen are a real no nonsense outfit. They don't try to sell you anything and all cars are covered with a damage waiver.

Addick
03-05-2016, 13:56
We used Gold Car once and would sooner walk than use them again.

Had to wait in a carpark (wasn't clear where, exactly) to be picked up by their minibus to be taken to their office to pick up the car (which wasn't the one we booked). Queued for ages outside the office and had the hard sell on the insurance, plus the overpriced fuel issue too. The car we were loaned had a number of scratches & dents that we went back to the office to report as they just give you the keys and the bay number the car's parked in. They said it was OK, but we got the feeling they would try to blame at least some of them on us, so plenty of photos were taken. Not a great start to a holiday, but lesson learned.

glassman
03-05-2016, 14:31
See what you've started barryk ,the last time this question was asked the complaints kept on for ages.
Just avoid Gold Car like the plague .I had an expensive lesson when I used them never again. Awful people.
I know everyone seems to go for Autureisen but there must be other good car hire companies in Tenerife

delderek
03-05-2016, 15:42
See what you've started barryk ,the last time this question was asked the complaints kept on for ages.
Just avoid Gold Car like the plague .I had an expensive lesson when I used them never again. Awful people.
I know everyone seems to go for Autureisen but there must be other good car hire companies in Tenerife

There are: Cicar for instance, have the newest and nicest cars. But you pay a lot more than autoreisen or their sister company orcar.

tfs1
03-05-2016, 16:20

I think you will find it was barryk that started the last goldcar thread which also generated lots of bad feedback ! Pity Goldcar havent improved since last year.

glassman
03-05-2016, 18:02
Yet there's always a queue at the desk .they start off cheap and by the time the deals done, you've been done also.

barryk
03-05-2016, 20:28
Hi
Thought they might have cleaned up their act like RA. Message received and understood. I will stick with AR. Perhaps the MODS could close this thread.
Barryk