PDA

View Full Version : Other Hassled at bus stops.

norjac
04-05-2016, 22:30
I spend a lot of time in Cristianos, but this last 10 days I have been approached while waiting at bus stops by cars pulling up and speaking to me in Spanish, which I don't understand, one day 3 cars in five minutes. Today while only checking a timetable a lady pulled up in a car, she was Spanish but spoke English. She asked me where I was going said she would take me and did not want any money. I don't get this. Are they illegal taxis, I have never had this problem before. Any ideas? Also the very popular fruit shop opposite the Cultural centre has closed down and the shop stripped out. Does anyone know why? Also my favourite shop Numerous Uno has also gone. What is happening to my favourite Town?

tfs1
05-05-2016, 08:12
I spend a lot of time in Cristianos, but this last 10 days I have been approached while waiting at bus stops by cars pulling up and speaking to me in Spanish, which I don't understand, one day 3 cars in five minutes. Today while only checking a timetable a lady pulled up in a car, she was Spanish but spoke English. She asked me where I was going said she would take me and did not want any money. I don't get this. Are they illegal taxis, I have never had this problem before. Any ideas? Also the very popular fruit shop opposite the Cultural centre has closed down and the shop stripped out. Does anyone know why? Also my favourite shop Numerous Uno has also gone. What is happening to my favourite Town?

I too have seen cars pull up at bus stops offering lifts although we have never been asked - the couple of times I have seen it the drivers and passenger have been young local lads and normally asking young ladies at the bus stop if they want a lift.

Medman
05-05-2016, 08:45
I too have seen cars pull up at bus stops offering lifts although we have never been asked - the couple of times I have seen it the drivers and passenger have been young local lads and normally asking young ladies at the bus stop if they want a lift.

Not a good sign and hopefully no one is stupid/desperate enough to accept.

candy2411
05-05-2016, 09:32
Stay well clear, whatever these people are doing can't be legal. Also there have been reports of bags being snatched when approaching people at bus stops etc and then the car speeding away. One car in particular was mentioned , a black Fiat punto.

norjac
05-05-2016, 10:20
I stayed well away. As a 70 year old woman on my own I have to be very careful where ever I go. I do have my wits about me and wear my bag across by body. I am just curious as to why this is suddenly happening as I have never been approached until this last 10 days.

candy2411
05-05-2016, 11:20
Hi Norjac, I understand you have to be cautious and it's always good to be on your guard. No need to be paranoid about this, luckily the great majority of people are wonderful, just give a wide berth to anyone speaking a language you don't understand, showing you a map for directions for example, or seeming to be lost. I sometimes use the bus, and don't like it if there aren't many people about.I once didn't get on a bus as a man speaking Spanish and looking a bit dishevelled had approached me asking a question I didn't understand .He seemed agitated and I felt he was staring at me. When the bus arrived he got on and I didn't, preferring to wait for the next one. Maybe I was over-reacting but in my mind it was better to feel safe.

norjac
05-05-2016, 16:05
I am extremely careful when getting on buses as a few years ago I had a mobile phone stolen from my bag at the bus station in Cristianos while on my way to the airport. I did not miss the phone until I got home and as it was on a contract I had to pay most of a bill of £180 which the thief had racked up using my phone from the minute he got his hands on it. Now I use a an old pay as you go phone when I am here, at least if I lost it I would not lose a lot. Just be very aware when in a bus queue this is when a lot of thefts take place. I still feel safe here I am just extra careful, but I am the same at home.