PDA

View Full Version : Shopping Anyone with experiences in buying stuff from abroad?

vove
10-05-2016, 16:39
I was planning on buying few pc components from abroad as here they are expensive as **** but I have one question. The shop says they charge 6,99 for shipment to Tenerife and this includes the handling by customs. They also discount the vat if you ship to Tenerife, now my question is: what else do you pay? Only IGIC?

Let's say I want to buy an item for 121 €. Without tax this would be 100 € + 7 € IGIC, so in the end I would pay 107+6.99=113.99 total, is that correct?

Also I spoke with some people and they said that pretty common strategy is to create a free amazon premium trial account (1 month) and get what you need. Anyone tried that?

And one more: what is the price in case you decide to deal with customs on your own (not counting the damages on mental health :spin:)?

melm
10-05-2016, 20:23
I have used Amazon prime to order a few things. Easy to use and cancel. Not sure about Tenerife tho'

UKj
11-05-2016, 00:00
Let's say I want to buy an item for 121 €. Without tax this would be 100 € + 7 € IGIC, so in the end I would pay 107+6.99=113.99 total, is that correct?

Not necessarily. It all depends on who the courier is. For example I had a purchase from Amazon which cost 100 € and it cost me an additional 33 € on delivery. Its a dark art. Some you will win, some you will lose.

tfs1
11-05-2016, 07:19
I bought some aftershave online from a company registered in the UK and it was delivered to Tenerife without any problems or at any extra cost regarding local taxes etc. The value of the items was £59.

vove
11-05-2016, 17:35
Not necessarily. It all depends on who the courier is. For example I had a purchase from Amazon which cost 100 € and it cost me an additional 33 € on delivery. Its a dark art. Some you will win, some you will lose.

When was it? Did you go with ups? Shipping costs 6.99 when you buy from amazon and ship to Canary Islands, ups deals with the customs charges for you, you would only pay IGIC. You probably opted to do self-check which is never a good idea if you order from abroad to Canary Islands, I spoke with many Spaniards and they commented it many times. It happens when you order from Amazon without prime service or you select to do the customs on your own (in whichever the case).

What I was more interested in is the discounted VAT and added IGIC. I'll probably buy it anyways and I guess I will tell you how it goes. Nevertheless thanks for your input!

UKj
16-05-2016, 22:54
I've never used Prime so cannot comment. I would be interested to know how long it takes with Prime and if UPS or another agent deliver to your door. Good luck with your delivery.

Pooh
17-05-2016, 13:32
We buy things all the time, probably get at least one package every week.
I prefer Amazon (if buying from Amazon themselves, not marketplace sellers, they deduct the VAT automatically), but wife buys from a variety of different sources.
We've also used aliexpress quite a bit, but it takes a long time with delivery.

Basically;

1. If delivery is by any kind of courier, count on at least €30+ in "handling costs" for customs processing, regardless of the actual cost of the item.
2. If delivered by regular mail (handled by Correos in the delivery end), it's hit and miss with any kind of customs fee, but usually nothing if the item is less than €100, and many times nothing even if it cost €200. Otherwise, count on €12 plus 7% of the item cost (including shipping cost).
3. Avoid delivery through UPS like the plague, if you want to avoid delivery delays, extra costs, and a lot of extra trouble.

Ricman
17-05-2016, 14:07
I bought a patio heater from a place in Mijas, Costa Del Sol, for around 220 euros last month.

They charged 15 euros for delivery but the cost was reduced by 30 odd euros as the destination was in the Canaries.

It came by post in 6 working days against the quoted 5 to 10 working days quoted by the company.

Well pleased.

jeste747
18-05-2016, 11:13
I've found over the seven years we have lived in Tenerife, Customs as well as Courier handling fees have been very hit and miss, sometimes things come straight through no customs, no handling charges. There seems no rime or reason to it, I cant even say its been the cost of the items because on some (less than 100 euros) Ive finished up paying more in customs and handling than I have on more expensive items. One delivery at the end of last year was coming from America and the company used FedEx for delivery, they messed up the paperwork and the item got delayed at the airport, so not only was there customs and handling fees there was an 84 euros charge for the airport for storage of a box 7"x4"x4" The goods werent even worth 84euros. So I'd say its a chancy thing ordering items, some you win, some you lose.