PDA

View Full Version : Relocation medical records and prescriptions

LizzyW
27-05-2016, 00:17
hubby and I are moving over in September. Neither of us are quite at state pension age and will not be working, thus will need PMI.
What I am wondering is - do folk tend to get their medical records and bring them with them. I take repeat prescription medication in the UK. How do I ensure I can get that prescription dealt with in Tenerife - does my PMI give me access to to a regular doctor? Do people tend to bring a largish supply with them?
Guidance appreciated thankyou.

clivey
27-05-2016, 11:49
hubby and I are moving over in September. Neither of us are quite at state pension age and will not be working, thus will need PMI.
What I am wondering is - do folk tend to get their medical records and bring them with them. I take repeat prescription medication in the UK. How do I ensure I can get that prescription dealt with in Tenerife - does my PMI give me access to to a regular doctor? Do people tend to bring a largish supply with them?
Guidance appreciated thankyou.

Re. Prescriptions (repeat or not) My Experience Only. Most of the pharmacies I,ve used have been ok but some of the medicines on my script are controlled E.g Cocodomal and require a spanish prescription. They seemed to have really tightened up recently and I now do without some drugs.
Incidently your UK Gp may also not be too keen on giving you more than a 2 month supply. mine told me straight that he was on the look out for folks living abroad but stockpileing drugs . I did however come out here with a six month supply which I had stockpiled so He was right. I suppose a lot comes down to morals and ethics.

On a positive note. I now take approximately half the medication I needed just to feel OK in the UK and generally am in far far far better general health. Excercise opportunities and diet being the key and a lot better than in the UK.

LizzyW
27-05-2016, 12:31
are you on the state scheme or do you have PMI? Did you bring your medical records with you or did you need to start from scratch? thanks

cressrt
27-05-2016, 19:26
You can bring your records but doctor here would get you to have numerous tests to see what in their opinion you should be taking. Do not expect them to necessarily prescribe what you are now on. Access to newer and often better medicines are available here. We use Sanitas here, who are part of Bupa and have had good experiences from whichever doctors we have seen, being private you do not register with any particular doctor, but can choose who you want to see. Also if you do not speak Spanish, there are translators available at the hospitals, but most doctors speak English. It is different in the state system.