PDA

View Full Version : Other Tenerife living for the elderly/less mobile.

david.hen
27-05-2016, 07:30
Hi there,
I am a 65 year old male and my wife is 77 years old. We are considering moving to somewhere warm for our autumn years, but I am concerned about leaving the "safety of the UK" (NHS services in particular). I take cholesterol-lowering drugs, as I am sure many other people do, but my wife also takes these and many other prescription drugs for various ailments. She is also a wheelchair-user (osteoarthritis of the lower spine) and is unable to stand, let alone walk, without my help, and even then it is not without experiencing pain. She takes takes 5 different tablets in the morning and another 2 at bedtime. These, of course, are free in the UK, and I have no idea of the cost in Tenerife.
Also of course, there could be a change of opinion depending on the impending outcome of the EU referendum --- maybe there is someone out there who remembers what Tenerife-living was like before we joined the "common market"?
My question is this: Do you think it would be a good idea to make the move (we have holidayed in Thailand for the past 6 winters where the tropical climate is good for my wife) or, am I being reckless?

Leam_Lin
27-05-2016, 11:54
Welcome to the forum, my answer would be YES.

Megaloo
27-05-2016, 23:57
Here you as a pensioner would be able to be in the social system we pay 10% of the price of our medication

junglejim
28-05-2016, 09:48
In or out of EU , Tenerife is hilly in most areas so be sure where to choose to stay !
As stated under present rules you would be eligible to join social system and get discounts on prescriptions .
In terms of weather it is far superior in winter but can be very humid and hot in summer months . A long winter holiday stay should convince you !:cheeky::cheeky:

http://www.diana-mcglone.com/health.htm

UKj
28-05-2016, 10:37
Welcome to the forum. My advice would be, rent out your UK home with an agent and try renting in Tenerife for 6-12 months and see how it suits you. You should make enough money on your UK rental to cover your rental in Tenerife and have some left over to boost your income. As JungleJim already said, the terrain gets steep quickly as you move away from the coast, so make sure you find an area that will suit your mobility needs. I don't think you can beat the Canaries for all year round warm temperatures, so close to the UK. Good luck!

doreen
29-05-2016, 10:27
Let me add my welcome too.

Yes, living costs are cheaper and it certainly is sunnier here in Tenerife, but such a major move would worry me somewhat if you have a good support system where you are now. God forbid that something happens you - a broken arm or leg, a serious infection etc ... it would be very hard for your wife to cope - there are almost zero social services to help the disabled. Just something to consider.

david.hen
31-05-2016, 07:11
Thank you to all the respondents, you have given me a lot to think about.
David.