PDA

View Full Version : Other Moving from UK to Tenerife with kids

Jodietoad
29-05-2016, 23:02
Hi all, I'm looking for some advice on how to go about moving to the island!!
I have a son of 12.5 and a daughter of 9.5, obviously my main concern is schooling for them. I think my daughter will do just fine in a local school as she is pretty clever and picks most things up straight away!! My son on the other hand is that bit older and not at all keen to learn at the moment so throughing him into a Spanish school probably isn't the best way forward. Also how do I go about medical?? I have epilepsy and take medication every day so will need to know if I have to psy and roughly how much?!
What about finding the right accommodation close to schools an amenities as I don't really want to drive abroad to start with.
If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd be very grateful!!

Thanks in advance lol😉

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

doreen
30-05-2016, 10:35
Welcome .... start searching on the Forum for information on schooling.

Here are the costs for Wingate - possibly your only choice for your son

http://www.wingateschool.com/en/schoolfees

There is another excellent school in Callao Salvaje but their waiting list is huge.

If no one will be travelling with you who has a job contract, then not only will you need Private Medical Insurance (which will be difficult to get covering existing conditions) but you will also need approx 5,000 euros per person in the bank to get residency, which you will need to get into schools.

Jodietoad
30-05-2016, 14:39
Oh really? So I that means 15000 for me n my kids?

doreen
30-05-2016, 21:19
The regulations say "sufficient funds" - I have read elsewhere that it is now up to 6,000 euros per person for 2015 (as to whether it is per child or per adult does not seem clear)

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/residency-requirements-in-spain

How did you plan paying your way here in Tenerife ? There is no access to any welfare until you have paid into the system, which is why you need to prove you will have enough money so as to not be a burden on the State.

Jodietoad
30-05-2016, 21:40
I will have money from the sale of my house to start with and hopefully once the kids are settled into school I will get a part time job. Then what happens lol

cressrt
30-05-2016, 21:44
If you really believe that would be good for you and your children, then go for it, but it is not an easy life here and good paid jobs are not easy to come by. Have a good search through all the posts on the forum.

Jodietoad
30-05-2016, 21:47
Is there such a thing as an easy life lol. But yes seriously I think that the warmer healthy outside living kinda life style will be so much better for my children and I!! I'm just a little scared and confused as there's soooo much to do and organize

doreen
31-05-2016, 08:07
Have you already sold your house ... if not, would it be possible for you to rent it out for a year for a trial stay in Tenerife: your children are young enough for it not to affect their schooling too much.

Jobs are hard to come by and not well paid.

Jodietoad
31-05-2016, 09:41
That's what I'm thinking of doing first so at least I will have an income of around £750 a month

information
31-05-2016, 11:12
That's what I'm thinking of doing first so at least I will have an income of around £750 a month

if that is all you have I would say don't come. By the time you pay for schooling, medical insurance and rent you would have nothing left for food. Please don't listen to people who say its better to be broke in the sun. Being broke anywhere is no fun.

Jodietoad
31-05-2016, 11:43
I'll have savings to lol I mean I'll have that as a gaurunteed income every month!

information
31-05-2016, 12:05
I'll have savings to lol I mean I'll have that as a gaurunteed income every month!

thats fine but I would say you would need a minimum of 2000 euros a month just to live here so every month that passes with no income over 1000€ would go from your savings. It is far from easy over here so do a lot of research before you do it.

Jodietoad
31-05-2016, 12:19
I will

cool bob
06-06-2016, 22:22
wow ,,thanks for giving out the advice,you don't realise how much it costs

good luck in your search jodietoad

Jodietoad
06-06-2016, 22:36
I'll do plenty of research before I make any decisions, this forum is good for info!! Different people see things in different ways lol but hopefully for me in time I will be where I want to be 😎

Ed3229
07-06-2016, 07:13

I'm a landlord in the UK...Remember the rent you charge is NOT what you will get every month.

Agents fee.. (you WILL need an agent) 8-10%
Landlord insurance..(would recommend cover) £50-£150pm
Boiler cover (if gas)..£35pm
You may have weeks your property is empty between tenants.(No income)
I would recommend around £2000 back up cash for unforeseen maintenance.