PDA

View Full Version : Television satellites available in tenerife

mangono5
01-06-2016, 15:38
Hi I have a satellite dish which is soe ten years old and was originally positioned by Germans.

Can anyone advise what satellites are available now in Tenerife which I could adjust to and do any of them provide any English speaking channels.

The dish is about one metre diameter I have a decoder in my LG television also I have in the UK a Sky decoder which I could bring over but I understand that this would require a 3 metre dish.

I have no internet right now so this is really a temporary thing so don't want to spend much but would be nice to pick up at lease the news in English ...I am trying to leard a little Spanish but to be honest I am still having trouble with English after 68 years.

Any advice would be much appreciated oh yes Granadilla area

junglejim
02-06-2016, 08:05
Astra2g is your best bet for UK type channels , though as you say ,your dish size is very small.
This site usually provides all satellite info , though you may need appropriate decoder - there are a few members on here who are more knowledgeable that may be along soon !

http://en.kingofsat.net/

mangono5
04-06-2016, 09:10
Thank you it seems nobody else is tripping along this way

ali252
05-06-2016, 12:09
Thank you it seems nobody else is tripping along this way:
Free to Air channels available on a 90cm dish in South Tenerife.
Challenge and Challenge +1,Tru TV, Pick and Pick +1, Ben, Irish TV, BETBlackEntTv, Keep It Country, Property Show, FrontRunner, Vox Africa, Travel Channel and +1, Horse & Country, AAJ TAK, Fashion One, FoTV, Forces TV, Word Network, Movies4Men and +1, Nollywood, Sky News, CNN and CNN HD, CNBC, RT & RT HD, Euronews, CCTV News, NHK World TV, NDTV 24X7, Bon TV, Community Channel, VIVA, Vintage TV, Heart TV, Capital TV, Clubland TV, Chilled TV, NOW Music, Al Jazeera English, plus numerous shopping, religious and foreign (Asian) channels. If you have a subscription to Sky please PM me and I will provide a list of what is receivable here. Hope that helps.

mangono5
07-06-2016, 00:13
Thank you not sure how to PM you but will look it up and tried to do it

ali252
07-06-2016, 12:58
Thank you not sure how to PM you but will look it up and tried to do it
Hi mangono5,

I have sent you some PM messages with the full listings. After signing in to the forum go to the top right and click on "Notifications" then click on inbox.

Hope that helps you.

Cheers

ali252

mangono5
08-06-2016, 18:55
Hi Ali thanks for your pm's still having problems replying to them and my battery quickly dying ...... So I apologise for my ignorance on both how to use this forum and my knowledge of satellite technology. Ok first off I have measured my dish ....normal man thing it's not a big as I thought it is....its only 70 cm. So first of all, am I looking to connect to Astra2g as quoted above. 2nd I have a receiver in my lg will this pick up anything ....3rd in the uk I have a pay now watch for ever sky receiver on which I can receive in uk any of the free channels. I don't use it in uk so could bring it here but only if it is worthwhile ie to keep up with the news etc as this Spanish is proving a little beyond me, come to that I am struggling still with English.... I could consider a larger dish but don't want to shell out much as if I eventually get an internet connection this seems to be the way to go but currently back and forth to UK and so cannot justify the monthly outgoings as not sure how often, or how long each visit will be to the island. So thanks for your patience and any further info appreciated.

melm
08-06-2016, 19:01
To send a private message hover over Ali's name and a drop down box will open offering the PM facility. good luck

ali252
08-06-2016, 19:10
Hi Ali thanks for your pm's still having problems replying to them and my battery quickly dying ...... So I apologise for my ignorance on both how to use this forum and my knowledge of satellite technology. Ok first off I have measured my dish ....normal man thing it's not a big as I thought it is....its only 70 cm. So first of all, am I looking to connect to Astra2g as quoted above. 2nd I have a receiver in my lg will this pick up anything ....3rd in the uk I have a pay now watch for ever sky receiver on which I can receive in uk any of the free channels. I don't use it in uk so could bring it here but only if it is worthwhile ie to keep up with the news etc as this Spanish is proving a little beyond me, come to that I am struggling still with English.... I could consider a larger dish but don't want to shell out much as if I eventually get an internet connection this seems to be the way to go but currently back and forth to UK and so cannot justify the monthly outgoings as not sure how often, or how long each visit will be to the island. So thanks for your patience and any further info appreciated.

Hi Mangono5. You need to align the dish to Astra 28.2 degrees. This will bring in all satellites and channels available for that size of dish which is basically the ones that I PM'd to you. The satellite in your LG TV will work for all free channels as I have tried this on my LG TV. You are right that the way to go forward in the longer term is IPTV but you need an internet connection of at least 3mbs download speed for it to work properly. There are some internet providers who will allow you to switch on and off your internet only using it and paying for it while you are here but they are a bit more expensive than the ones which are on all the time. If you need any further help then please get back to me. Cheers. ali252.

mangono5
08-06-2016, 19:45
thanks ali252 so my understanding is that the sky receiver is not needed and so not worth bringing over also you think that 70 cm is big enough next question alignment do i need some special equipment sorry to be a pain

ali252
09-06-2016, 09:43
thanks ali252 so my understanding is that the sky receiver is not needed and so not worth bringing over also you think that 70 cm is big enough next question alignment do i need some special equipment sorry to be a pain

The only problem with using the LG TV is that you lose the spanish terrestrial channels as the TV will store the satellite channels instead. I would always go for the separate satellite receiver to give as much choice as possible. If you have any neighbours with a dish pointed at Astra 28.2 then point in the same general direction then you need a satellite finder similar to this one which is on ebay. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Digital-Satellite-Finder-Satlink-Sat-Satfinder-Alignment-Meter-LED-Anzeige-Neu-/381656850068?hash=item58dc855e94:g:yZ4AAOSwnNBXUA5 n
I am sure that you should be able to buy one here but it is probably easier to buy from ebay and have it delivered either here or when you are back in UK.

mangono5
14-06-2016, 15:34
Thanks for all the help it may have to go on the back burner as I am back to Bligh tie soon couple of other things as there is no other visible dishes where I am I guess 28.2 refers to the angle on the compass can I set it with a compass for initial direction and what about the elevation? Also this dish is wired with ordinary aerial cable is this satisfactory in the uk my sky dish uses a smaller stiffer cable with decent screw connections rather than the normal aerial push ones. The meter is I guess just spliced in series in the cable to use? Many thanks for all the help I was getting worried about this forum as it appears from most of the posts that its just becoming a joke centre! Different strokes for different folks I guess but it is nice to be able to get advice and help on things which are beyond or normal understandings

ali252
14-06-2016, 16:35
It is 28.2 degrees east of south on the compass and the elevation is slightly different with different models of dish but with the meter attached you can find the correct elevation. The cable will probably be older style satellite cable which just looks like ordinary coax cable but is made to carry the correct frequency. You can replace the push connections with "F Plugs" which if you have a branch of Screwfix near you back home sell them in packs of 10 for under £2. You attach one end of the cable to the receiver and the other end to the dish. You should get instructions for that with the meter. When you come back to Tenerife send another message through the forum and I will help you in any way that I can. Cheers.

ali252
15-06-2016, 10:10
If the dish was originally set up by Germans then it will probably be looking at either 19 or 13 degrees east so it will not need to be moved round the arc very far.

barryk
16-06-2016, 19:31
I believe there is app called dishpointer or similar which will give you the direction to point your dish