PDA

View Full Version : Other Buying in Callao Salvaje: more a risk or an opportunity?

Fede
05-06-2016, 03:18
Hello All,
I have been to Tenerife twice, and plan to come after summer to gain a better knowledge of all the different areas in the South, as I am seriously considering to buy an apartment there. However, before taking a final decision on it I will do all the prep work that is needed.
I wanted to ask opinions about the area of Callao Salvaje; pros and cons of buying there, rental properties returns, and if you see a good potential for the area in the future. I know that they made some works in the area and they recently opened a small beach, will they continue to invest ?
And so far what type of tourists look for this area to spend holidays?
I see some nice properties for sale in the Residence Ona Sueno Azul, so every opinion about this complex would be very helpful.
I will certainly spend time in the area in September, to make my own opinion, but any advise or hint by someone that knows the area well as well as its potential, would certainly help
Thanks in advance.
Fede

delderek
05-06-2016, 09:28
Firstly, Sueno Azul does consist of some very nice properties, and the community works fairly well, it does have a mix of many nationalities. Just one drawback if you are thinking of tourist letting, it is residential and "legally" you are not allowed to do so. The new beach is very nicely done, you can even order drinks from the beach via a wifi system. Callao itself still seems to suffer from a lack of investment, but it is improving. In my opinion it also has a nice climate and a lot more Sun than say, Los Cristianos. Most of the Tourists are in all inclusive hotels and therefore do not spend much in the local bars etc and many of them change hands regularly. To sum up, you can get a lot more property for your money, but you do need a car, as otherwise you are rather trapped in a steep bowl. It also seems to be a place that people either like or loathe. I quite like it.

Fede
05-06-2016, 09:37
Hi Delderek,
thanks for your reply and information. It comes a bit as a surprise to me tha Sueno Azul is residential: in fact I see the residence advertised in all the very famous touristic portals, are you 100% sure they do not hold a touristic license?

delderek
05-06-2016, 09:54
An area within Sueno Azul is Time share (Wimpen) and therefore legal. The rest is residential, but Many people seem to ignore the "letting" bit. (As do many other owners on the Island). And to be honest I don't see Callao being a high priority for the tourist authorities to clamp down on.

Mia
05-06-2016, 11:38
I think Delderek summed up Callao Salvaje very well. I love living here

I think practically all the complexes are residential though and I agree you really do need a car. Having said that the bus service is good. The 473 runs from Los Gigantes through all the costal villages including Callao Salvaje and the town of Adeje, ending up in Los Cristianos.

Adeje is not far away and has all the services you should need.

The council investment has improved since we came to live here. The village is kept clean and tidy.

As well as the beach we now have a footbridge across the barranco so we can walk to Playa Paraiso. The path to the bridge is a dirt track along the cliff top at the moment, but plans are in place for a proper footpath/walkway to be constructed.

delderek
05-06-2016, 12:28
I think Delderek summed up Callao Salvaje very well. I love living here

I think practically all the complexes are residential though and I agree you really do need a car. Having said that the bus service is good. The 473 runs from Los Gigantes through all the costal villages including Callao Salvaje and the town of Adeje, ending up in Los Cristianos.

Adeje is not far away and has all the services you should need.

The council investment has improved since we came to live here. The village is kept clean and tidy.

As well as the beach we now have a footbridge across the barranco so we can walk to Playa Paraiso. The path to the bridge is a dirt track along the cliff top at the moment, but plans are in place for a proper footpath/walkway to be constructed.

Just a little on that. The service is every 50mins, try working that out without having a timetable handy, and when it arrives from Los Gig it is now often full up and you have to stand. It was a much better service previously with the 472 and the 473

glassman
05-06-2016, 13:32
I agree with delderek you either love it or hate it ,I happen to love it the beach is now good and people don't have to go out of the village so much
It's vey central for everywhere ,it's quiet not over busy but has everything banks,,bakeries,supermarkets etc.We've had an apartment there for 10 years and it's certainly got better since Adeje council tool over
Just needs a bit more investment and I think this will come as an afterthought to Paraiso

lesbroz
05-06-2016, 21:58
Hi Fede, I have owned in Sueno Azul for 9 years. We have a great community with a mix of Nationalities. The President is excellent and although it is really residential, if you do wish to rent out all we ask is that you let the President know who is staying in your apartment and for how long. We really love the area with its micro climate (it can be raining heavily up on the main road, whilst still basking in sunshine in the village,) It is great to mix with other nationalities (we have made good friends with Spanish, French, Danish, Norwegians and a few Brits.)

Mia
06-06-2016, 10:46
Just a little on that. The service is every 50mins, try working that out without having a timetable handy, and when it arrives from Los Gig it is now often full up and you have to stand. It was a much better service previously with the 472 and the 473

Sorry, I did not do my research. I thought the service was still every 30 minutes.

The service was much better when there was the 472 and 473 running.

seanocelt
06-06-2016, 10:54
A word on the "beach". Erosion already, its lost almost all the new sand it had, it will be typically Canarian black sand and gravel soon, no bad thing, my point is, ( translate Callao Salvaje.) .....was i a a good idea putting imported sand on, or a waste of money as it needs replaced yearly?! I love callao and Paraiso. Going to get better and better i hope.

lesbroz
06-06-2016, 11:51
A word on the "beach". Erosion already, its lost almost all the new sand it had, it will be typically Canarian black sand and gravel soon, no bad thing, my point is, ( translate Callao Salvaje.) .....was i a a good idea putting imported sand on, or a waste of money as it needs replaced yearly?! I love callao and Paraiso. Going to get better and better i hope.

Hi there

I don't remember them putting any sand on Callao Beach (sorry if I am wrong.) I do remember watching them grinding the 'gravel' that was there day after day.

delderek
06-06-2016, 12:50
I agree, it was ground up gravel, pretty awful stuff to walk on. And like many beaches, not really constructed to last. The worst example being La Caleta. The exception of course Las Vistas But that cost millions.

seanocelt
07-06-2016, 12:29
Whatever it was its pretty much gone. Glad money wasnt wasted if not imported common sense at last.

Fede
07-06-2016, 15:46
Firstly, Sueno Azul does consist of some very nice properties, and the community works fairly well, it does have a mix of many nationalities. Just one drawback if you are thinking of tourist letting, it is residential and "legally" you are not allowed to do so. The new beach is very nicely done, you can even order drinks from the beach via a wifi system. Callao itself still seems to suffer from a lack of investment, but it is improving. In my opinion it also has a nice climate and a lot more Sun than say, Los Cristianos. Most of the Tourists are in all inclusive hotels and therefore do not spend much in the local bars etc and many of them change hands regularly. To sum up, you can get a lot more property for your money, but you do need a car, as otherwise you are rather trapped in a steep bowl. It also seems to be a place that people either like or loathe. I quite like it.

Thanks all for the replies, very useful info. I would have 3 other questions:

How is the real estate market in Callao Salvaje? How much I should expect to pay per mq2? And how do you see the area evolving in terms of services and infrastructure, for better or for worse?

I understand that the answers to the first 2 questions may be different depending on the condition and quality of the property, the proximity to the sea, the possibility to rent it out, etc etc. but having at least a sense would definitely help.

If also any real estate agent wanted to comment or advise on it, especially on the prons and cons of the area for an investiment, it would be very appreciated.

delderek
07-06-2016, 19:12
Thanks all for the replies, very useful info. I would have 3 other questions:

How is the real estate market in Callao Salvaje? How much I should expect to pay per mq2? And how do you see the area evolving in terms of services and infrastructure, for better or for worse?

I understand that the answers to the first 2 questions may be different depending on the condition and quality of the property, the proximity to the sea, the possibility to rent it out, etc etc. but having at least a sense would definitely help.

If also any real estate agent wanted to comment or advise on it, especially on the prons and cons of the area for an investiment, it would be very appreciated.

Blooming heck. Crystal balls don't come cheap.

Price per sq mt. Depends on the complex (compare Los Seronos with Esmeralda. no comparison)

Real Estate Market. Very Slow.

Infrastructure, will improve, but it is Tenerife, so depends how long you have to live.

The possibility to rent out is a minefield, as Mia said, most complexes are residential. Up to you if you wish to risk a fine of up to 18000.00 euros (first offence). Long term rental is legal.