PDA

View Full Version : Animal Chat Abandoned Baby Chick

DTheo
06-06-2016, 08:13
Hi all, I'm desperately seeking some form of help or rescue for a baby chick (not sure what species it is) found outside our hotel room in Puerto Colón. Not sure if he fell from a nest or was dropped by a predator, but we cannot see a nest. We left him in a safe place nearby for mum and dad, but no parent emerged. As the night was so cold and he was so unprotected, we brought him in and put him in a make-shift nest on something as akin to a wrapped-up water bottle as we could find. We also tried to feed him plain porridge oat water (advised on several sites as he looks approx. 12 days old) but he hasn't taken much. He has managed a couple of poops though! No visible injuries but he'll die within a day or two if he isn't helped by someone who knows what they're doing.
Are there any animal charities or residents out there in Tenerife who would take a bird?!
Thank you!

LindaD
11-06-2016, 00:03
Hi all, I'm desperately seeking some form of help or rescue for a baby chick (not sure what species it is) found outside our hotel room in Puerto Colón. Not sure if he fell from a nest or was dropped by a predator, but we cannot see a nest. We left him in a safe place nearby for mum and dad, but no parent emerged. As the night was so cold and he was so unprotected, we brought him in and put him in a make-shift nest on something as akin to a wrapped-up water bottle as we could find. We also tried to feed him plain porridge oat water (advised on several sites as he looks approx. 12 days old) but he hasn't taken much. He has managed a couple of poops though! No visible injuries but he'll die within a day or two if he isn't helped by someone who knows what they're doing.
Are there any animal charities or residents out there in Tenerife who would take a bird?!
Thank you!

Sorry no one seemed able to help, you've done really well trying to keep the wee chap alive. I'm almost frightened to ask what became of it?

DTheo
13-06-2016, 14:04
Sorry no one seemed able to help, you've done really well trying to keep the wee chap alive. I'm almost frightened to ask what became of it?

Hi Linda,

I managed to get La Tahonilla to take him in the end, although straight away afterwards we received a reponse from an independent non-government agency telling us that La Tahonilla would probably not spend the time on raising him. He was a lovely thing, and perfectly healthy, so I hope they do look after him for a couple of weeks longer!

DTheo

LindaD
13-06-2016, 19:16
That's sounds hopeful DTheo - well done!