PDA

View Full Version : Other Was the killer whale from Loro Parque trying to commit suicide?

vove
08-06-2016, 17:41
I don't know if you have followed the story that went viral two days ago, it's about a killer whale from Loro Parque who was supposedly trying to commit suicide. If someone hasn't read it yet here's link to the article on Daily Mail: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3626374/Video-shows-Morgan-captive-SeaWorld-killer-whale-lying-motionless-beaching-Tenerife-park.html

Recently I have been visited by some friends and we were thinking about going there but decided not to do so after reading negative comments on trip advisor regarding horrible animal conditions and that the killer whale's tank in particular was too small (I deny to fund such things but that's a different topic). Now almost at the same time a video appears where people claim the poor animal wanted to commit suicide jumping out of the tank and refusing to go back, struggling. I am not some expert but as far as I know whales suffocate that way and die.

Employees of the park say it is normal behavior, but as the video flew around the world some experts have already given their input stating it is far away from being normal. Also I imagine most of the people who visit the park don't have the competences to make such statements but if so many people had the same impression there is something definitely not ok going on in there.

What do you guys think? Someone has some first hand info?

scotchmist
08-06-2016, 18:34
Hi The killer whale was only trying to escape its captivity whiich it had no chance unfortunately they should free it right away.

vove
08-06-2016, 19:13
I did some research and it seems it's not the first time someone has accused them of animal cruelty and not the first time that particular killer whale tries to escape/finish herself off. It is really sad such "park" works on the island and as if it wasn't enough it seems they are registered as non profit organization.

tub
08-06-2016, 19:53
this park should be closed down if the whale is not released to the wild as soon as its possible its sheer cruelty to pen it in such a small pool

Red
09-06-2016, 07:53
Would the whale survive in the ocean after being fed and pampered all its life? The gorilla's don't look too happy either or the white tigers. Same for the large fish in the aquarium. That said, it's s day we as family thoroughly enjoy and to get to within inches of killer whales and gorillas is something special.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vove
09-06-2016, 12:16
That particular killer whale was "saved" by the park over 5 years ago and since then is held in captivity.

As for the experience of being inches from a wild animal you can go Hawaii (or any other place that offers it) and swim with wild whales, dolphins, sharks, manta rays, giant sea turtles... in their natural habitat without harming them. Saying it's nice experience is selfish as the animals are overworked and held in poor conditions.

Red
09-06-2016, 14:37
Overworked animals!! Pmsl. Poor conditions at loro Parque? You sound like Arthur Scargill 30 years ago. You'll be telling us they need better rates of pay (more mackerel) next.

vove
09-06-2016, 16:06
Why so hostile? If you are connected with them in any way maybe answer the question instead of pissing yourself? Or provide some counterarguments? From the knowledge I have at the moment animals are overworked and held in poor conditions. Now you come here and waste your precious time and phone battery to insult me for no reason.

Red
09-06-2016, 17:10
You're right, I should take this more seriously. Are you only concerned with the killer whales? Have you considered the plight of the poor capybara's in Loro Parque? They actually had two Giant anteaters move in with them last year. Can't be easy living with anteaters.

vove
09-06-2016, 17:55
To be honest (as I already mentioned) I haven't even been there. At the moment I base my opinion solely on videos and pictures I have seen and what others say, but judging by the amount of protests and materials there are on that topic I don't think someone is trying to do a black marketing for them. It seems the animals really are suffering there and it really hurts me that animals have to suffer just for the entertainment of the masses.

I created that topic since I don't live long on the island. When I read the notice on that killer whale trying to suicide herself I wanted to get some second opinions as it is a topic related to Tenerife, also everyone knows what you hear in news or read on the internet not necessarily has to be truth as in many cases they will say anything to get the views. Later I started reading about the cases where various organizations post pictures of animals with marks on them, that particular case was with killer whales, meaning they hurt each other.

On trip advisor there is also a lot of negative opinions due to the animals' living conditions, so it seems they really do not care much about the fauna they are supposed to be taking good care of.