PDA

View Full Version : Finance Using Halifax Clarity credit card.

Sunlover
14-06-2016, 19:01
I have seen this card on the moneysaving expert site, and wondered if anyone had used it and how they found it?

macdonald5
14-06-2016, 19:19
I have seen this card on the moneysaving expert site, and wondered if anyone had used it and how they found it?

Hello Sunlover , I have used this card for many years now both at home and on holidays
Spend of £300 a month gets £5 interest ,not mega bucks but 12 X £5 ...handy £60 !!
On holiday it gets bank rates so usually slightly more than changing money
Martin Lewis at moneysupermarket put us on to it and I am very happy with use

jimmychoo72
14-06-2016, 20:09
Hi,
I always use this card for hols. I take enough cash to cover my first day and then use the Clarity card for cashpoint withdrawls or purchases. Gives a much better exchange rate than any currency exchange place.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

bennoa1
14-06-2016, 20:11
Me too. Best exchange rate possible but make sure you pay in euros and don't pay in sterling as the shops bank then set the exchange rate which in my experience is worse than changing cash at the local exchange place.

jimmychoo72
14-06-2016, 20:15
Just be careful at some cashpoints which ask if you want to convert at their own bank exchange rate. Decline it and you'll get the better Halifax Clarity rate conversion.

Sunlover
14-06-2016, 20:22
Thanks all, never used a cash machine abroad, :ashamed: always took travellers cheques, are the instructions in English or do I need to brush up on my spanish?

jimmychoo72
14-06-2016, 20:23
All cash machines have choice of languages. Definitely english will be one of them.

imablue
14-06-2016, 21:36
A good lady friend told me about Clarity, but being resident here i am led to believe i cannot apply for the card.
Anyone know anything different?

bennoa1
15-06-2016, 08:46
I use mine as often as possible now, ie meals, all supermarket purchases (Mercadona is easy to pay using it) and any bigger purchases. Don't use it when having a few drinks at a bar but it saves having to use as much cash as as stated if you spend over £200 in a month you get a £5 reward. I use an Amex card in the UK which gives a good cashback but not everywhere takes it so the Halifax Clarity card is a good back up.

lsmt971
15-06-2016, 09:29
It says that you get charged interest from the time you withdraw money. Does that mean you still pay the interes at the end of the month or if you pay the balance off straight away you only pay back the amount you've withdrawn?

bennoa1
15-06-2016, 10:02
It says that you get charged interest from the time you withdraw money. Does that mean you still pay the interes at the end of the month or if you pay the balance off straight away you only pay back the amount you've withdrawn?

I don't use it for cash withdrawals but fairly sure you get charged interest as soon as you withdraw from any card. There will also be a charge to withdraw so I doubt you'd be any better off than taking some sterling and exchanging it while you are there. Depending upon where you are staying there are a couple I use, one in LC and the other near Puerto Colon which offer the better rates with no commission.

lsmt971
15-06-2016, 10:51
I don't use it for cash withdrawals but fairly sure you get charged interest as soon as you withdraw from any card. There will also be a charge to withdraw so I doubt you'd be any better off than taking some sterling and exchanging it while you are there. Depending upon where you are staying there are a couple I use, one in LC and the other near Puerto Colon which offer the better rates with no commission.

Ah ok just best for purchasing then, thanks.

fixer
15-06-2016, 10:58
Representative 18.9% APR (variable)
Rates from 18.9% APR (variable) to 25.9% APR (variable), depending on individual circumstances.
Interest rates Introductory rate Monthly rate Annual rate
Purchases not applicable 1.456% or
1.667% or
1.941% 18.95% or
21.95% or
25.95%
Cash Withdrawals not applicable 1.456% or
1.667% or
1.941% 18.95% or
21.95% or
25.95%
Balance Transfers not applicable 1.456% or
1.667% or
1.941% 18.95% or
21.95% or
25.95%
We may apply the standard interest rate during any special promotion period to any transaction if in any month you do not make at least your minimum payment by the minimum payment date or if you exceed your credit limit at any time.
Interest-free period •Maximum 56 days for purchases if you pay the full balance shown on your previous and current statement on time.
•No interest-free period on balance transfers or cash withdrawals.

Interest charging information You will not pay interest on new purchases if you pay the full balance shown on your previous and current statement on time. Otherwise, the period over which interest is charged is as follows:
From Until
Purchases date debited to your account paid in full
Cash Withdrawals date debited to your account paid in full
Balance Transfers date debited to your account paid in full
Allocation of payments If you don't pay your balance in full we will allocate payments to balances with the highest interest rate before balances with lower interest rates. See section 6.1 of the terms and conditions for full details
Minimum repayment An amount equal to the total of interest, default charges and 1% of the balance shown in your statement (minimum £5, or the full balance if less than £5).
Credit limit Minimum credit limit £500. Your cash limit is 50% of your actual limit.
Maximum credit limit Subject to status.
Fees No annual fee.
Charges Cash withdrawals None
Balance Transfers No fee applies on standard rate; 3% (minimum £3) may apply on special promotion rates.
Copy statements £6 for copies of non-current statements.
Copies of transactions £5 for each copy of a record of a transaction.
Foreign Usage Payment scheme exchange rate Indicative rates can be found at MasterCard Currency Conversion Tool.
One or more of the following may apply:
Non-Sterling Transaction fee None
Cash fee None
Default charges Late Payment charge £12
Returned Payment charge £12
Overlimit charge £12

Cost of Borrowing

Credit cards are designed to be a flexible form of borrowing. Paying the minimum amount every so often can help you manage your money more effectively, although we would not recommend that you make minimum payments for a long period of time once your promotional offers have ended. Once your account is open, you can set up a Direct Debit for any fixed amount over the minimum payment by calling 03457 28 38 48

macdonald5
15-06-2016, 11:02

12.95% interest is added for cash withdrawals even if you pay off
We never use for cash withdrawals only for Mercadona shopping ,most restuarants take ( Peking Garden and La Pergola at Puerto Colon only take cash )
We normally take some English sterling notes to change

Ps fixer ...must be differing rates of interest as our statement reads 12.95%
Have never had to pay though