PDA

View Full Version : Relocation Good Data PAYG SIM for local heavy usage?

Alvy
02-08-2016, 22:34
Hello ladies and gents
Making comprehensive plans of coming over to make comprehensive arrangements for us to move over to Americas, Cristianos or near by... etc etc

And remembered last time been for a week, I ended with rather heavy bills for my "3" plan, as we used my allowances for all INTERNET usage, that has been poor at the best of the times (coverage).

My current plans doesn't allow tethering abroad no more, so I'll have to use my other SIM, which is expensive, really expensive something like $0.05p a Mb + daily £2 fee.

Out of local networks, which would have best coverage in general and which would (could) have decent deals for data (dongles or second SIM)?

I got my dual SIM phone, so not particularly bothered if plans would allow calls or not, just as long as I can connect my iPad and use it on the go. and I intend to travel, deal alot in them 10 days.

Thanks!

(sorry mods, please change prefix of Relocation, if it is not appropriate)

delderek
03-08-2016, 08:51
If you get a free "Three" PAYG sim card, and pay £20 for an "add on". You can get 30 days use up to 12Gb. But you are correct tethering while roaming not allowed. As most phones have the same functions as tablets albeit a smaller screen, If screen size is the problem, you could "Cast screen" to your ipad. I found coverage on Three good, mostly connecting to the EE network.

Alvy
03-08-2016, 09:18
Considering all of the mailing, solicitors etc... and generally somehow I use load of data at home.

I spoke to "three"- they don't allow plans for abroad tethering.
Nor does EE, even I can have add-ons for minimal usage

I think (I hope) that'll be the solution!?
If they allow tethering,
if I'll find one to buy,
if their plans will allow me to top up with data add-on,
if I will be able to top up spanish number with UK cards...
http://www.lycamobile.es/en/

barryk
03-08-2016, 10:30
Not sure how much data you need but mas mobile may be worth looking at.
We have a 1gb plan which cost 4.42 euro a month plus calls but they do others

vove
03-08-2016, 10:48
First thing first: cost of 1 GB of data right now in Spain is around 7 euro.

Second thing. Don't go for the cheapest option, go for the best service. Cheap operators are good till you face any trouble, but then the same problem with biggest telecommunication companies: moviestar, vodafone, orange < avoid those three.

The best choices right now with the best cost/service ratio are tuenti, simYO, pepephone and R, but unfortunately R is a company based in Galicia and I am not sure if you can buy their simcard outside of Galicia.

Alvy
03-08-2016, 11:05
First thing first: cost of 1 GB of data right now in Spain is around 7 euro.

Second thing. Don't go for the cheapest option, go for the best service. Cheap operators are good till you face any trouble, but then the same problem with biggest telecommunication companies: moviestar, vodafone, orange < avoid those three.

The best choices right now with the best cost/service ratio are tuenti, simYO, pepephone and R, but unfortunately R is a company based in Galicia and I am not sure if you can buy their simcard outside of Galicia.
Hmhm...
It happens with all on the net surfing etc I use up 1 gb in a couple of days, considering amount of issues to deal with, I might need 1gb a day.... I would absolutely need at least 5gb PAYG allowance and quite importantly it need to have tethering allowed.
Here in UK it used to be much easier for that sort of thing, but lately it all changed and most networks simply block service for 24hrs or so without warning.
Thanks guys!
I'm still listening ;)

vove
03-08-2016, 11:20
1 GB a day? You must have some apps that consume data in the background. I cannot imagine using it up in one day just on emails and communication over whatsapp etc. What consumes most data are youtube videos, then pages with silly images (particulary big gifs and high resolution pictures). Maybe you should take a look into data consumption?

I am with tuenti at the moment but soon will be changing it to simyo as they have smaller data packages. I cannot use up 1 GB a month so I end up wasting money (I also don't like the customer service), but then I work from home, so I rely heavily on my wifi connection. And I never sign a contract for the phone, always prepaid.

As for tethering I never had a problem in Spain. As for British telecommunication companies they are horrible, maybe eveb worse than the Spanish ones. In the past I tethered the connection over from my phone to my laptop, configured laptop as a router and then routed the connection to my stationary PC over cable, but that was an extreme situation and I badly needed the connection on my PC :D

Alvy
04-08-2016, 14:08
Plans changed a bit, cant get over next week, who ha!

I still intend to get local SIM and use it for the Internet in general for foreseeable future, as for usage... yes, I noticed rather high usage, but honestly got so much on the phone and iPad- I use this combo more, than home broadband...
in sort of "priority", I'll look out for
tuenti, simYO, pepephone and R
But, anybody could point out to any of them being with allowances of 5Gb+ at a reasonable cost- I'm listening! :D ;)

vove
04-08-2016, 16:55
But, anybody could point out to any of them being with allowances of 5Gb+ at a reasonable cost- I'm listening! :D ;)

SimYO has 10 GB/month at cost of 29,18 EUR in a prepaid plan.

Alvy
04-08-2016, 17:00
SimYO has 10 GB/month at cost of 29,18 EUR in a prepaid plan.

Not great of an deal then...

Are you aware of Mobile internet dongle's- plans on PAYG basis? (I could find some of older ones 3g+ or just use SIM for data only...
Thanks!

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

How's Orange coverage-reception?
http://en.orange.es/mobile-broadband/
25Eur 5GB

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

got it!
https://masmovil.es/int/?lang=en-en
5GB 16Eur- acceptable!
with this one- question would be of an quality of reception and if possible to buy at a counter or should I have it posted to somebody, to collect on arrival?

vove
04-08-2016, 18:43
5 GB in masmovil costs you 29 euro, you get twice the data for same price in simyo.

As for orange I had really bad customer experience with them, but I guess it was the same as movistar and vodafone. They outsource the customer support so very often you call to contact with level 2 and it takes a lot of time to get through to someone from level 1 or directly working for the operator. And the automatic service drives me nuts every time.

As for dongles I guess they are postpaid services requiring to sign a contract. I have never used them, to be honest nowadays if you have a smartphone dongle is unnecessary.

delderek
04-08-2016, 19:03
So far nothing quoted is better than "Three" PAYG 12GB roaming allowance "add on 20". 20 quid including 4g. But if you must have tethering, then its got to be a local sim, because no uk providers allow it (for obvious reasons. Its cheaper than local providers). And of course when roaming you will be connected to the strongest signal, which on my last visit depending on location was movistar and ee.

vove
04-08-2016, 20:43
Anything is better than the Spanish providers :/ I just cannot wait until they remove roaming charges inside EU, I will ditch my operator right away. Only problem is 4 more years to go and a lot can happen meanwhile, maybe smartphones will be already passé :)

Alvy
05-08-2016, 17:12
Was hoping for an "happy pill" solution, but seems will have to use EE's connection (SIM), for until would get local one and those dont appear to offer decent value either.
Just cant do with phone alone, to flimsy for my fat fingers ;)

Alvy
07-09-2016, 20:21
So far nothing quoted is better than "Three" PAYG 12GB roaming allowance "add on 20". 20 quid including 4g. But if you must have tethering, then its got to be a local sim, because no uk providers allow it (for obvious reasons. Its cheaper than local providers). And of course when roaming you will be connected to the strongest signal, which on my last visit depending on location was movistar and ee.

My last short visit ended in having Three- Feel at home plan. never managed to get the local SIM and reception for the line wasn't bad, whilst all of the other issues where dealt with people in face or back at a apartment with free wi-fi.

as short term solution- great! checked on-line account usage, costed me £5, no more... :D