PDA

View Full Version : Internet Fibra Optica internet

Romero13
03-08-2016, 09:36
Dear Tenerife Folks,

We are moving to Tenerife for this winter (6 months). To rent a house I need to know the regions/towns with Fiber Optical internet available to focus on those regions. I kindly ask to share any information about regions where you know that Fiber Optical internet is present. At the moment I am interested in Costa Adeje/Adeje, Los Christianos, Chayofa, maybe Callao Salvaje and Santa Cruz. Would it be useful to contact internet providing companies to ask this question ? Also would listen to any general advice regarding searching living place with decent internet.

Thanks a lot !!!

Have a nice day!

vove
03-08-2016, 10:39
For what purpose in particular do you need fiber optics? If you don't need high speed connections standard adsl nowadays has the same speed and latency as the cheapest fiber plan.

I lived in the north, now in SC and switched from vodafone adsl to cheapest fiber optics plan, difference is barely noticeable. Had 1,15 MB/s and now I have 1,45 MB/s with similar latency.

Romero13
04-08-2016, 10:15
For what purpose in particular do you need fiber optics? If you don't need high speed connections standard adsl nowadays has the same speed and latency as the cheapest fiber plan.

I lived in the north, now in SC and switched from vodafone adsl to cheapest fiber optics plan, difference is barely noticeable. Had 1,15 MB/s and now I have 1,45 MB/s with similar latency.

Hello

Would you please specify what kind of FO package from Vodafone you have now ? 1.45 mbps sounds very low for FO. Could you get higher speed if demanded ? As I understood from the Vodafone website, the FO must provide 30 MBps at minimum w more stable latency than ADSL. I need it for work which does not tolerate delays. How long did it take to switch to FO in your case ?

Thank you a lot for the info!

vove
04-08-2016, 11:46
Hello

Would you please specify what kind of FO package from Vodafone you have now ? 1.45 mbps sounds very low for FO. Could you get higher speed if demanded ? As I understood from the Vodafone website, the FO must provide 30 MBps at minimum w more stable latency than ADSL. I need it for work which does not tolerate delays. How long did it take to switch to FO in your case ?

Thank you a lot for the info!

It is MB/s not Mb/s. It's the cheapest option, 30 Mb. It should've been ~ 3,75 MB/s but actually I have never reached it. I oscillate around 20 Mbps. I guess I could call them to come and check it but I am already fed up with all the problems vodafone gives me. Each month I have to call them and spend 1 hour on explaining why the invoice is incorrect. Another thing is you cannot believe in what the website says: website, shop and phone are like 3 different domains for vodafone and they do not cooperate with each other.

Also: what should happen and what indeed happens are two different things. The fiber optics infrastructure is crap and the connection drops frequently due to ****ty Chinese router vodafone provides.

The time you wait on a technician to come and connect you depends on where you live. When I lived in small village I waited 1 week for a guy, in SC he came next day after I called.

Megaloo
04-08-2016, 12:38
I live in Puerto and have fibre optics from Movistar and I am more than happy

Romero13
04-08-2016, 12:50
It is MB/s not Mb/s. It's the cheapest option, 30 Mb. It should've been ~ 3,75 MB/s but actually I have never reached it. I oscillate around 20 Mbps. I guess I could call them to come and check it but I am already fed up with all the problems vodafone gives me. Each month I have to call them and spend 1 hour on explaining why the invoice is incorrect. Another thing is you cannot believe in what the website says: website, shop and phone are like 3 different domains for vodafone and they do not cooperate with each other.

Also: what should happen and what indeed happens are two different things. The fiber optics infrastructure is crap and the connection drops frequently due to ****ty Chinese router vodafone provides.

The time you wait on a technician to come and connect you depends on where you live. When I lived in small village I waited 1 week for a guy, in SC he came next day after I called.

Thank you !

vove
04-08-2016, 13:10
I live in Puerto and have fibre optics from Movistar and I am more than happy

I had doubts whether to choose vodafone or movistar and went with vodafone because it had better feedback on Internet, now I regret it :cry: To be honest the ADSL I had before the fiber worked better than my current connection.

Canary Islands need a local provider like R (Galicia) or Euskatel (País Vasco). Being forced to choose between vodafone, movistar and orange is simply inhuman.

Romero13
24-10-2016, 10:03
Business use mostly. I need good latency in the first way, not MBps per second. I ended up renting home in PDL Arena. There is ADSL now w 8MBps/0.84MBps and ping 60 ms. If ping does not fluctuate a lot it will be enough for me. I do not think if there is any better internet solution in PDL Arena. Please let me know if I am wrong. Thx

JaBBa
30-10-2016, 15:54
Romero13

Los Cris or Las Americas your best bet for fiber optic as most of the areas in there are covered...