PDA

View Full Version : Cars & Transport Bringing UK Range Rover car to Tenerife enquiry

galracer
05-08-2016, 19:34
Good evening,

I have received conflicting stories re bringing my car over as far as the legalities of the headlights on the vehicle is concerned.

Does anyone know if they can be converted or they'll have to be renewed? or are they legal here in Tenerife please?

Looking forward to hearing from you guys.

Thanks in advance.

essexeddie
05-08-2016, 19:46
You can run it for a while. I knew a guy that ran a UK car for years, but to be really legal there is a mountain of paperwork. You may need help.

galracer
05-08-2016, 19:57
http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/forumdisplay.php?98-Cars-amp-Transport-in-Tenerife

loads saying about it NOT being conflicting.
Insurance validity, Wrong side of the rad traffic (for the car), costs etc etc
Bad idea, full stop ;) Alvy,

Thank you for response. I have been driving here for many years and have not had any problems so far. I'm fully aware about the insurance , the car being on the wrong side of the road traffic,costs etc etc. Alvy,its not my driving abilities that i'm asking about, please read the question again.
Thanks for your time.

vove
05-08-2016, 20:17
What type of headlights you have that they make you concerned? I would say you are good to go if the car was bought inside EU.

Or do you mean spotlights? :confused:

In general there is no problem what you have on the car as long as it is ok with the traffic code. Obviously you cannot have a police spotlights, but there is no problem with other sources of light as long as you do not blind other people, this includes other cars, pedestrians, ships and planes.

Or do you mean those racks with lamps mounted on the roof? 6609

Oh boy, this will give you problems, I know a few stories. Basically you won't have problems until you go for a vehicle inspection (ITV). If the car had them since the beginning, that means manufacturer put it on (which I guess he didn't), you have no problems. If you mounted them yourself you won't pass the inspection.

There was once a topic on forocoches (I don't know if you follow it :D ) and people basically declare them an ornament/decoration. In that case as long as you do not exceed the maximum vehicle height you MIGHT pass the inspection, but they still tend to fail people. I would say it depends on your luck.

Let me tell you a story of how people pass vehicle inspection in Canary Islands.
1. Go to ITV.
2. You fail because something is broken, for example catalytic converter- they fail people frequently on it. People cut them out and sell on second hand market or simply they don't work anymore and contamination level is above the established levels.
3. You go back home, you call you friend, you take the piece out of his car and put it in yours.
4. You go back to ITV.
5. You pass it this time!
6. You put it out and give back to your friend.
:lol:

I think you could take down the lamps before going for an inspection and you would be good. Guy from my neighborhood has a car with those roof mounted lights, so people somehow manage to pass it.

essexeddie
05-08-2016, 21:42
The headlights can be changed easily. I have a left hand drive classic American vehicle in the UK and changed them over easily myself.
Driving in Tenerife is a breeze really. Their driving is not as bad as reported. They have some strange habits but on the whole they are fine. Apart from roundabouts. You need nerves of steel.

galracer
06-08-2016, 09:01
Good morning vove and essexeddie,

Thank you very much for your informative response, genuinely appreciated. ☺

Its the main headlights (Normal ones), then, I have concerns about passing an ITV.

I have now been told that if they cannot be adjusted, i'll need to purchase new ones from the mainland.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160806/1368c9bf889397ac1dd80fe6f2cf8e2a.jpg

Thanks again for your time.. ☺

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

vove
06-08-2016, 12:13
I would say that's nonsense.

Rule of thumb is: If you haven't modified your car in any way you will always pass the inspection (if everything else is ok, noise/contamination limits etc.). During the inspection they are comparing characteristics of your car with what manufacturer put in it.

Example: lack of catalytic converter. You must have it, but if car was manufactured without one you still gonna pass the inspection if within the established contamination levels, even though you don't have that part.

Call me a goober but I still don't get the problem you have :lol:

Are they xenon lights? It's ok to have them if the manufacturer equipped the car with it by default. If you had standard light bulbs and switched them to xenon you still are good to go, but you must homologate that change through ITV. They will require you to adapt the light a little bit (adapt the headlight frame).

Here's a dose of official info on xenon lights: http://itv.com.es/informate-antes-de-instalar-luces-de-xenon-en-tu-coche
It's Spanish so hopefully you speak it, if no go with google translate.

delderek
06-08-2016, 13:49
The Range Rover I had (not recently) had "flat dip", i.e not angled left or right and were legal on the continent. But of course Tenerife:doh:

essexeddie
06-08-2016, 13:55
Good morning vove and essexeddie,

Thank you very much for your informative response, genuinely appreciated. ☺

Its the main headlights (Normal ones), then, I have concerns about passing an ITV.

I have now been told that if they cannot be adjusted, i'll need to purchase new ones from the mainland.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160806/1368c9bf889397ac1dd80fe6f2cf8e2a.jpg

Thanks again for your time.. ☺

That is correct. Your lights will dip towards oncoming traffic so need to dip towards the kerb. You can buy a cheap fix probably at Halfords where you can stick a diverter on the lense. Not sure if the ITV will accept this though. Best ask.

vove
06-08-2016, 15:38
That is correct. Your lights will dip towards oncoming traffic so need to dip towards the kerb. You can buy a cheap fix probably at Halfords where you can stick a diverter on the lense. Not sure if the ITV will accept this though. Best ask.

Fu**ing hell, I finally got it :lol:

As far as I know there is no particular law that regulates said matter apart from the traffic code and its entry about blinding other users of the road. From what I know you won't pass the inspection even if you use the beam adapters (the stickers).

Since your car looks new you can probably take the headlight frame out and adapt it to left hand traffic/right hand traffic at no cost at all. Here's a tutorial, at 3:52 mark the guy explains how to switch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTXS7VJGw00

galracer
06-08-2016, 17:00
My goodness! You have all been amazing and the wealth of knowledge that you all possess. Just to let you know, they are xenon lights and i have now been told by a left hand drive importer that they can be adjusted on this vehicle.
I will definitely look into the links.
Thanks again for everything.

PS : Very helpful indeed. ☺