PDA

View Full Version : Conveyancing solicitor/Financial Adviser/ Estate agent wanted in Tenerife

Alvy
12-08-2016, 15:47
Hello all,
(long one...)

We(not a Royal,but family of 4(42M;39F;3F and 1 year old boy)) are definitely moving, (depending on the ground work) to Spain and more specifically to the South side of Tenerife (Adeje or near by).

I'm coming 27'th and to be honest all the comms so far on expat sites, by email to estate agents or attempts to do so on a phone are futile, "different" to the actual comms in person.

Wander if there are any, that would be known and recommended
(Conveyancing solicitor/Financial Adviser or even Estate agent in Tenerife)?

I've read loads and loads of similar threads about mainland Spain and being ever so uncertain as how we'll invest, depends when we will move, how and most importantly what we do about our own living arrangements.

"We"(royal)- (she) has made a list of (16 "only" now) most varied properties for me to inspect, in the areas "we" would like to settle inn.

I had offers on our house (in UK) and long story in short, we expect to pay up mortgage and have 150kEuro + equity released to buy and funds to cover us for:

Property Purchase and legal fees (approx~11%)

Enough to show each €5k for the bank for and for the period of gaining employment.
£3k for shipment of essential of goods
Few k's for unforeseen expenses
In options, we are open to:

.................................................. ........................
1- Holiday complex apartment, great short term return, but it wouldn't be suitable for family living long term. Purely for the income, whilst firtly, we'd only rent out own accommodation a bit further away from beaten track

.................................................. .........................
2- small house to have it rented out (long term), before we'd move over for good, in prime area.

.................................................. .........................
3- (most tempting idea) is to buy biggest available-affordable house, split it in to rental part apartment and our living quarters.(I am half decent builder, could do all of the work myself). Perfectly aware 40%+ unemployment, hence need at least some rental income to make ends meet in the long run.

"Super-laws"- Licensing for short term lettings in Tenerife, ... very much concerned weather letting agent wouldn't get us in to trouble-jeopardy by doing its bit, but not declaring licensing in the new owners name. New license is only possible after we have resided for 6 months, right? What are the requirements and taxes and charges for short term rental apartments to the resident owners?

There are conflicting reports in relation to the "non tourist"- long term lettings also, as how hard and or complicated to be landlord without being full resident (NIE etc) to have a valid contract, hence to have reliably paying tenants. Bit of sticky one, as it seems we might need to rent out and WILL rent out some or the other at some stage.

we expect to make living at 1000- 1500Eur a month, (such income in complex rentals from one apartment is achievable). Long term rentals are only half or third of that.... so would mean needing to have 2 apartments rented and live in a third...

"Cunning plan"- is to have allowance of 6 first month's to find employment and more stable of an income and to have one sort of apartments rented out to have top-up to living expenses.
It is legalities and all of the small print, that conveyancing solicitors and financial adviser here working out for us great, what we need to rely in Tenerife TBH.

It is "minor things" as buying fees of 11% +, that could make or break camels back in our situation and to be dipping in to reserve money or to end up with even greater unseen fee's/expenses of rental (IE non income) pit-falls we certainly don't want.

(side points- talking us, me out of it- well, thanks for the concerned... we will be seeing you anyway :D
I've got rather plain Bupa policy, that we think of exploiting for a first year, but whenever we'd be pushed in to more cover or after the first incident, involving doctors and treatment for over 24hrs, policy would lapse, how much, we'd have to pay?
+ clarification of "ley de los menores" would be good :) )

Most grateful in advance,
Thanks!

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Issues as
http://elpais.com/elpais/2016/08/12/inenglish/1471001940_844111.html

and
http://elpais.com/elpais/2013/05/06/inenglish/1367842766_596787.html

We are reading with most trepidation, hence , once again, we got to absolute need for adviser/helper with all of it ;)

imablue
12-08-2016, 20:49
Your post for me is a bit long winded so i haven,t read it all...
In short you are asking for an adviser/etc.
If you can, look up Marcus Cabrera ,he was operating from Los Cristianos and very ,very good,
Don,t know if he or his then staff are still about but he comes with top recommendations from me ....Good Luck by the way

Alvy
12-08-2016, 21:39
Your post for me is a bit long winded so i haven,t read it all...
In short you are asking for an adviser/etc.
If you can, look up Marcus Cabrera ,he was operating from Los Cristianos and very ,very good,
Don,t know if he or his then staff are still about but he comes with top recommendations from me ....Good Luck by the way

:)
I feared so! the- as long, I got bored reading it, let alone to deal with all of the typo's...
:D

delderek
12-08-2016, 21:59
Just one word of advice, if you are factoring renting into your budgets, you could well be entering a minefield. If its designated residential, then you have no option other than long term. If it's touristic, then your returns from the official letting agent are going to be a shock to the system.

Ecky Thump
12-08-2016, 22:02
Just one word of advice, if you are factoring renting into your budgets, you could well be entering a minefield. If its designated residential, then you have no option other than long term. If it's touristic, then your returns from the official letting agent are going to be a shock to the system.

Del. what percentage do they charge and do they make other charges...I let out in Scotland through a agent and it's a straight 10% and for that they do include other services apart from collecting rent.

Alvy
12-08-2016, 22:07

My Comprehension (Tourist) lettings from income taxed at approx 24% ?

Indeed, we are contemplating are not most gullible to be just jumping inn ;)

Also, the plan (1-), poss (2-) would need somebody to actually-physically meet the guests, clean and etc
However, if we live ourselves near by- it could soften a bit charges from letting agents either way.

http://www.diana-mcglone.com/Non-Resident-Home-Owners-and-Annual-Property-Taxes.htm#Nonrestaxspain

although in our case it would be first half as non resident, the second pat of a year as resident

Del. what percentage do they charge and do they make other charges...I let out in Scotland through a agent and it's a straight 10% and for that they do include other services apart from collecting rent.

Thus is fees for agents, here, down South they are 6-9%
but nothing to do with collection and Tax deductions

sdmc1960
13-08-2016, 08:05
We live on a residential community consisting of 34 private homes, 4 of which let out to short term holiday lets. They get around the rules by advertising their properties on websites, such as ownersdirect, airbnb, tripadvisor, etc, and deal with the bookings themselves. Taking payment directly from the holidaymakers, and dealing with cleaning/changeover themselves. 3 of the 4 are Russian, the other is Chinese. I am sure there is no tax being paid. Quite frankly, it is tough to stop them, and believe me we have tried. I've looked at their adverts, and they are pulling in around 800 euros a week.
I'm not saying that you go down this route, but the paperwork and costs involved in doing it correctly can make it attractive to get around the rules this way.

delderek
13-08-2016, 12:03
My Comprehension (Tourist) lettings from income taxed at approx 24% ?

Indeed, we are contemplating are not most gullible to be just jumping inn ;)

Also, the plan (1-), poss (2-) would need somebody to actually-physically meet the guests, clean and etc
However, if we live ourselves near by- it could soften a bit charges from letting agents either way.

http://www.diana-mcglone.com/Non-Resident-Home-Owners-and-Annual-Property-Taxes.htm#Nonrestaxspain

although in our case it would be first half as non resident, the second pat of a year as resident

Thus is fees for agents, here, down South they are 6-9%
but nothing to do with collection and Tax deductions

The tax is probably correct, but I think you maybe missing the point on Tourist letting. If you are on a Touristic complex, you must use the official on site agent. Who may or may not be very greedy, and could only return you a tiny proportion of the letting fee.

If you are on a residential site, it is illegal to rent to tourists, with a first fine of 18000.00 euros.

If you need to get the full facts, go to j a n e t a n s c o m b e (without the spaces)

I am afraid it's nothing like that on touristic sites. With some reports of the worst agents only returning 20% of the letting price.

Ecky Thump
13-08-2016, 13:11
I am afraid it's nothing like that on touristic sites. With some reports of the worst agents only returning 20% of the letting price.

Thanks for that and with those returns, I think I will forget about the idea of buying in Tenerife as a letting investment, far better to continue to let out here and use the income for our holidays (and the odd new coat for the wife;) ) without the worry of encountering Spanish taxation and ownership laws and not forgetting the 'mafia' way of dealing that the sole agents have created for themselves.

Alvy
13-08-2016, 13:23
It is obviously hassle, it is obviously risky to hand over the keys and to be ripped off by law and management agreements (as sole letting-management companies), but the way we see it, we don't mind bring the money inn, we don't mind to work (advertising, meeting-greeting, cleaning etc if need to) as long as it would make extra income, as we are absolutely aware, that jobs are scarse and are not going to be well paid anyway. We need to secure extra income from investment.
Then I look at it, if russians are pulling inn 800Eur a week, why couldn't we?, but differently to them, we'd apply for license, pay Tax of 24% and win-win! no?
Or even buying "tourist" complex property, do all of the work ourself and send rip-off agents for a walk?

cressrt
13-08-2016, 14:17
There are no licences, the vivienda vacacional option, that you probably refer to has been on hold awaiting redraft since July 2015 and there is no sign of being done in any time soon. I suggest you read the facts of this and all the letting rules and regulations at the J A site you were referred to. Anyone saying that you can apply for a licence are wrong.

delderek
13-08-2016, 14:35
It is obviously hassle, it is obviously risky to hand over the keys and to be ripped off by law and management agreements (as sole letting-management companies), but the way we see it, we don't mind bring the money inn, we don't mind to work (advertising, meeting-greeting, cleaning etc if need to) as long as it would make extra income, as we are absolutely aware, that jobs are scarse and are not going to be well paid anyway. We need to secure extra income from investment.
Then I look at it, if russians are pulling inn 800Eur a week, why couldn't we?, but differently to them, we'd apply for license, pay Tax of 24% and win-win! no?
Or even buying "tourist" complex property, do all of the work ourself and send rip-off agents for a walk?

You will not get a licence. It is illegal to let to tourists in a residential complex.

You can not do it yourself in a tourist complex, it is illegal, you must sign up and use the sole agent, you could advertise it if you wish, but the final booking must go through the agent.

I think you need to consult someone urgently, many many fines have already been issued by Tourismo. Or look at the illegal letting thread on here, with its hundreds of pages, but they are mostly peoples interpretations. The site I gave explains the law in simple terms.

Alvy
13-08-2016, 22:10
Thanks chaps!
Read a bit, got lost and back on track... seems a bit like bible to newcomers (Janets site), but in practical terms it has raised more questions as how in reality everyone rents properties without any troubles...

Yes, I will be contacting couple of people (based on recommendations here and other board) as I get over for more "on hand" practical advice, for now, I will be refocusing on properties as purely for the living own-selves...

Alvy
07-09-2016, 20:23
Although met quite few good contacts, although haven't managed to make commitment yet, I do appreciate all the help received here!
:thanx:

Liftman
07-09-2016, 23:05
Read the posts Alvy. You have no choice. You MUST use the on site agent if you rent on a Touristic site.

Alvy
07-09-2016, 23:18
Read the posts Alvy. You have no choice. You MUST use the on site agent if you rent on a Touristic site.

NOT, if my new plan of building appropriate building will come through :P :/
Still grateful for all of the sensible advice anw!

delderek
08-09-2016, 09:25
NOT, if my new plan of building appropriate building will come through :P :/
Still grateful for all of the sensible advice anw!

The only appropriate new building that licences are granted for is a five star hotel. Nothing else.

Alvy
08-09-2016, 12:08
The only appropriate new building that licences are granted for is a five star hotel. Nothing else.
(not disagreeing), just inquiring :/
Got to hear as what architects will say about that... if not that'll be build, part let for a long term...

google for link to Jannets blog- 1
draft-new-touristic-law-out-to-consultation

I remember reading it (and great to have brain-storming reminder delderek )... sounds as Architects are "overoptimistic" in having advance fees of me... or just letting me dream on...:crazy:

delderek
08-09-2016, 18:56
(not disagreeing), just inquiring :/
Got to hear as what architects will say about that... if not that'll be build, part let for a long term...

google for link to Jannets blog- 1
draft-new-touristic-law-out-to-consultation

I remember reading it (and great to have brain-storming reminder delderek )... sounds as Architects are "overoptimistic" in having advance fees of me... or just letting me dream on...:crazy:

Yup you've got it, it's not called fantasy island for nothing :whistle:

Liftman
08-09-2016, 23:02
Challenges are in against the law, but the Canarian government doesn't have a great record on changing their mind.

Alvy
09-09-2016, 11:52
Wow, how many architects you have on the island?

Based on a fact of development being ever so difficult to have approved from technical point of view, it seems as a last option to employ the firm, that would employ myself, so I could work on my own house... :crazy: