PDA

View Full Version : Relocation Help with changing utilities on new home

JennyP
01-09-2016, 20:54
We are in process of buying a house near Icod de Los Vinos. We hope to complete end of this year. My Spanish is very limited and over the phone non existent. Does anyone know of any service for "hand holding" to help change electric, phone, water etc. to the new owner? Thank you

Alvy
01-09-2016, 22:36
I'd recommend talking to neighbours, ideally with teenagers, they are helpful and ever so friendly lot

paul 1
02-09-2016, 20:43
I'd recommend talking to neighbours, ideally with teenagers, they are helpful and ever so friendly lot

Near Icod may mean few neighbours, then again may not. Either way its a brave move if you don't speak Mexican. There are people on the internet who you can pay to do these things. The Tenerife Translator is one

Alvy
02-09-2016, 21:45
Mean, uncalled for!

:D :D :D

JennyP
02-09-2016, 22:04
Thank you for your suggestion. It is a very rural property and we won't be there full time to begin with. I'll visit the local panaderia, see if that gets me anywhere. The mean persons suggestion could help though, I wasn't looking for a freebie, just some helpful suggestions ��

Alvy
02-09-2016, 23:31
Thank you for your suggestion. It is a very rural property and we won't be there full time to begin with. I'll visit the local panaderia, see if that gets me anywhere. The mean persons suggestion could help though, I wasn't looking for a freebie, just some helpful suggestions ��

that'll be fruit basket at most and they wouldn't complain (laugh) maybe...

just drive to the nearest neigbour and try to talk, explain being next door neighbour- bet you- you'll enjoy introduction and help received! :)

amanda
03-09-2016, 10:10
Yes I agree dont get what he means by that remark

paul 1
03-09-2016, 11:00
Yes I agree dont get what he means by that remark

Sorry I did'nt intend to come over as mean. Going to a bakery and asking them to help you fill out your utility papers is unusual,.... but may be possible. Leaning basic Spanish before you go is better. Telephone spanish is important as it is what you would need in a emergency. Also you'll need to learn the names of the letters to spell your name & address.
This area is a banana growing area. Like most of the Canaries it has a South American culture & many words have mexican origins. So learning Spanish locally is best, with a Canarian teacher.

delderek
03-09-2016, 15:42
Have a look at this site J a n e t a n s c o m b e (without the spaces). Will help in person professionally if requested.