PDA

View Full Version : Relocation Is there a lot of rent scam on the island ?

IceDarri
06-09-2016, 14:12
Hi

I'm about to move to Tenerife from Iceland for an internship near Callao Salvaje, Adeje. I've been trying to look at apartments online but I'm a bit worried as my friend who lives in the southern part told me to be careful cause there is supposedly a lot of rent scam on the island. So are there any trustworthy agencies you recommend? Or should I maybe start living in an airbnb apartment and not look for something until I relocate to the island ?

Other question, only place I've lived in apart from parents house, is at Uni campus, so I'm not good at renting apartment matters. Do I need to join a Spanish bank to be able to pay rent? If not how do I pay rent?

If anyone read this far, thanks a lot

Kind regards
Halldor Darri

Alvy
06-09-2016, 14:19
Hi

I'm about to move to Tenerife from Iceland for an internship near Callao Salvaje, Adeje. I've been trying to look at apartments online but I'm a bit worried as my friend who lives in the southern part told me to be careful cause there is supposedly a lot of rent scam on the island.

Yes, very hard to rent out or in without being cought in some terrible circumstace

So are there any trustworthy agencies you recommend?

Agencies are that- they make money from somebodies else properties, trustworthy... they all sort of are, at the same time ...

Or should I maybe start living in an airbnb apartment and not look for something until I relocate to the island ?

Better, more expensive idea. In general you have no realistic hope in renting out, without being on the island anw

Other question, only place I've lived in apart from parents house, is at Uni campus, so I'm not good at renting apartment matters. Do I need to join a Spanish bank to be able to pay rent?

All and every one has own different rules, but as general consensus, they all require as much guarantees as possible in the forms of big deposit, Bank Account, NIE, work referencing etc

If not how do I pay rent?

If anyone read this far, thanks a lot

Kind regards
Halldor Darri
Hope helps :)

IceDarri
06-09-2016, 14:42
Thank you for the answers, i greatly appreciate it! :bowdown:
It all seems like a huge puzzle at the moment with only the rest of the month to plan, so I need to get my **** together
Thanks again ! :tongue:

Alvy
06-09-2016, 14:53
Thank you for the answers, i greatly appreciate it! :bowdown:
It all seems like a huge puzzle at the moment with only the rest of the month to plan, so I need to get my **** together
Thanks again ! :tongue:

Best of luck!
Depends how many times you visited Tenefire before, it does sound as you don't(wont) have a car, so when AirBnB'ing make first booking for a week or so, but as close as possible to work and DO avoid few areas regardless as how tempting they would appear on booking site as- (El Fraile, ANYTHING close to Veronicas or main streets, unless in gated complex...etc) and if in Adeje, make sure is Costa Adeje, not the town, as getting over AutoPista (or by bus) will be very tedious affair.
also, once in place, my bet- work colleagues could/will help you out with arrangements, be wise and you'll be alright ;)