PDA

View Full Version : Other Favourite Places in Tenerife

irishmusico
07-09-2016, 09:29
Over the years I always brought visiting friends to see the Masca gorge,the cliffs of Los Gigantes and Las Caņadas del Teide.They are beautiful and they were always my easy destinations as I live in the south.

I started to explore the map a bit more and drive up north.I was stunned by the wild beautiy of Tagananna in Anaga. The drive up the valley from San Andreas(TF12) is really beautiful,then you come to the tunnel(TF124)that takes you to the other side of the island and down into Tagananna. That bend in the road where that incredible view of the valley the town and the ocean is amazing.Then on through the town and along the coast, to stop at that natural pier where the waves wash over and can give you a good soaking if you are not careful.Drive on a little further to the end of the road/Island and you cross that stream that can be a raging torrent(well by Tenerife standards)after the rain. How green everything is there then. Quite stunning.

Coming back along the TF12/TF13 to La Laguna and driving through the forest. Really beautiful.

I also love driving from Las Caņadas,past the cable car station,drive for a bit then turn right onto the TF24 towards the observatories. Driving right over the top of the island,arriving at La Tarta del Teide,that place that looks like a slice of cake where they cut out the road from the layers of volcanic ash looks amazing. Then you have the view of Mt Teide looking out over the sea of clouds.It would make the most cynical person smile.Keep going along that road which weaves between the north facing and the south facing sides of the island and you will eventually see a left turn for Mirador de Chipeque. Go up that road to the carpark and soak in that view. Come back onto the road and go down through La Esperanza and spot the orange and lemon trees growing there.Drive on down by the back of Los Rodeos Airport where the barley and cornfields are. Hard to believe it is the same island

Some truly amazing places here.Anyone care to add some?
Cheers

Red Devil
07-09-2016, 20:39
My trips are quite boring after yours, but we always catch the bus to various places - one of our favourites is Alcala with the lovely sea front walkway. If you go on a Monday there is also a little market in the central square.
We also get the Granadilla bus and stop off at different towns/villages to sample local food & wine.
Then there is the 343 express bus to Puerto de la Cruz where we sometimes stay a couple of nights and then catch the bus to other towns from there, its a good base to start from.
We havent hired a car for a long time now - is it quite a mountainous driving route to the Anaga area?

Alvy
07-09-2016, 20:54
OP's routes, places is not up to me to compete with yet...

Embarrassing to admit, but by far my most favourite place today... so called "posh ladies beach"- Playa de Abama... :ashamed:

imablue
07-09-2016, 21:59
Been on drives throughout the island that have taken us to Anaga,Punta del Hidalgo,Stunning sea views and one of the places that was visited the first time on the Island.
Garachico,Buenavista del Norte and onwards South Westerly towards Masca and through Las Portelas another totally different scenario of this wonderful island and her ever changing landscapes.
Masca...WOW... all in capitals.
Been on walks/hikes that have taken us again to places that are a must see, to really appreciate what the island offers.
Coastal walks from the south at Los Cristianos over to Palm Mar and to the lighthouse through to Las Galletas.
Inland and upto the top of Roque del Conde,circular routes through the hills around there and even upto the lost village of.. Las Fuentes at the back of Montana Tejina ...
Not one of these walks/hikes/drives have been of any extreme though common sense is always a good part to take with yourself..
Episode 2 to follow...

Red Devil
07-09-2016, 23:11
Isnt it lovely to have posts that are interesting and informative as a change from the tiresome stuff that has dominated on this forum lately.

imablue
07-09-2016, 23:28
Absolutely Red Devil..(god that hurt me writing them words) Joking....
Yes the informative part seems to have gone from the posters knowledge of anything ...We all learn every day and even small crumbs of information help in whatever way or form.
This thread has been a joy compared to what has gone on before of late ...
Long may it continue and not necessarily on the subject of this thread..
Well in Irishmusico..

irishmusico
13-09-2016, 19:26
My trips are quite boring after yours, but we always catch the bus to various places - one of our favourites is Alcala with the lovely sea front walkway. If you go on a Monday there is also a little market in the central square.
We also get the Granadilla bus and stop off at different towns/villages to sample local food & wine.
Then there is the 343 express bus to Puerto de la Cruz where we sometimes stay a couple of nights and then catch the bus to other towns from there, its a good base to start from.
We havent hired a car for a long time now - is it quite a mountainous driving route to the Anaga area?

Alcala is lovely.Thats a nice idea getting the Granadilla bus. Do you have any favourite places to stop and eat at? The Botanical gardens in Puerto is a beautiful place to visit.

If you have ever driven to Masca,then Anaga is easy.Take your time and driving there is no problem.The roads are winding,but they are all in good condition.If you come back by the road to La Laguna you drive through the forest.It's not like the pine forest driving up to Mt Teide,it has different trees.Very dense in some places and totally covering the road sometimes.Quite beautiful.

I am going to go Santiago del Teide to find Charcos de Erjos they are several ponds on the other side of the town. Don't know if they are worth the visit ,but finding a pond or a small lake in Tenerife will be worth the journey.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

OP's routes, places is not up to me to compete with yet...

Embarrassing to admit, but by far my most favourite place today... so called "posh ladies beach"- Playa de Abama... :ashamed:

That is a nice little beach.They even brought in their own sand.I think you have to park up at the car park at the front of the hotel and walk down.Nice spot.

Been on drives throughout the island that have taken us to Anaga,Punta del Hidalgo,Stunning sea views and one of the places that was visited the first time on the Island.
Garachico,Buenavista del Norte and onwards South Westerly towards Masca and through Las Portelas another totally different scenario of this wonderful island and her ever changing landscapes.
Masca...WOW... all in capitals.
Been on walks/hikes that have taken us again to places that are a must see, to really appreciate what the island offers.
Coastal walks from the south at Los Cristianos over to Palm Mar and to the lighthouse through to Las Galletas.
Inland and upto the top of Roque del Conde,circular routes through the hills around there and even upto the lost village of.. Las Fuentes at the back of Montana Tejina ...
Not one of these walks/hikes/drives have been of any extreme though common sense is always a good part to take with yourself..
Episode 2 to follow...

Thanks for the tips.Marking them on my to do map. An interesting thing about Masca.If you visit there after it has been raining a good bit,there is a fair sized waterfall there.If you pass through the town coming from Santiago del teide you will come to a painted roundabout on the road.It is just there. If you travel on up the road in the same direction,to where the road zig zags up the valley there is a spot where the road is slightly wider.If you park there you will get an excellent view.

Red Devil
13-09-2016, 20:22
Alcala is lovely.Thats a nice idea getting the Granadilla bus. Do you have any favourite places to stop and eat at? The Botanical gardens in Puerto is a beautiful place to visit.

If you have ever driven to Masca,then Anaga is easy.Take your time and driving there is no problem.The roads are winding,but they are all in good condition.If you come back by the road to La Laguna you drive through the forest.It's not like the pine forest driving up to Mt Teide,it has different trees.Very dense in some places and totally covering the road sometimes.Quite beautiful.

I am going to go Santiago del Teide to find Charcos de Erjos they are several ponds on the other side of the town. Don't know if they are worth the visit ,but finding a pond or a small lake in Tenerife will be worth the journey.

That is a nice little beach.They even brought in their own sand.I think you have to park up at the car park at the front of the hotel and walk down.Nice spot.

Oh thanks, we might try that trip to Anaga when we are back over in November then.

We have stopped off in San Miguel a couple of times, theres a lovely restaurant down by the post office there but I can never remember the names of places.
We also go to Buzanada to that restaurant just up past the little park that used to be a wine producing place? Their food is lovely, but you probably know all these places far better than me 😀
Oh and we catch the bus to Chayofa to eat at La Finca there and also up to Adeje to the many chicken places, as well as to Alcala - Its amazing where you can go to with a bono card, all our trips seem to end up involving food & wine but thats what I love about Tenerife.

Would be interested to know if you find the little lakes. And will def try the Botanical Gardens

imablue
13-09-2016, 21:39
A while ago now but we did a walk that started in Santiago del Teide that took us first through the town,past the church on the road out of the town bearing left, then before the road took a right we entered the woodland and headed up hill.
At the top of this walk we could see down towards Buenavista del Notre, to our left was a walk that took you to above the Masca Valley.
Going away from the Masca direction we headed towards Los Erjos.
After a fair trek through some woodland we stopped at a point where we looked down at the Los Erjos ponds.
Eventually after having a deserved break and a bite to eat we descend towards the ponds.
Once we had gotten to the ponds our route out from the valley was again upwards and towards Los Llanos,crossing the main road that takes you between Santiago del Teide and Icod de los Vinos we once again this time descended again into Los Llanos.
The last couple of kilometers back to Santiago del Teide was the main road.
Fantastic scenery and well worth the hike.

Margaretta
13-09-2016, 23:14
We love Vilaflor and our route takes us through San Miguel and up the winding road which is wonderful in almond blossom time. Vilaflor was the birthplace of San Pedro de Bethancourt, the island saint. His cave is at the end of the airport runway! The village has churches, history, tascas, steep cobbled streets and wonderful views. The arches of the gofio mill reflect the sun over the barranco. As you approach the village the golden Californian poppies welcome you. The Hotel Villa Alba is a little higher, a spa hotel amidst the pine groves.
There's a lot to see and do in Garachico. The small Castillo/ fortress commands the view over the famous natural bathing pools. The village itself is set in the picturesque hillside and was rebuilt after the last volcanic eruption. The little plaza is enchanting with statues to Simon Bolivar? The little park is on different levels and has some fascinating plants. Even some of the trees are sculpted! Garachico had one of the best Romerias we have ever experienced.
Don't forget the lovely southern bays: El Poris, Abades, Los Roques and the smaller villages in between. They all have their own character and charm although not as sophisticated as the Las Americas area.

irishmusico
05-10-2016, 13:20
I was thinking of another one today. Going up to Las Caņadas caldera after sunset to see the stars is absolutely amazing. You can see millions of stars. At that altitude there is no moisture ,so no haze,the air is a bit thinner and there is no light pollution. You can see all the stars in Orion very clearly,instead of the few you can see near the beach.The orion nebula is much clearer.The milky way looks fantastic.Just like the photos you see.A big band across the night sky.There is also millions of stars you would never see normaly in the night sky.

If you go up during a metor shower,the metors are much clearer.I saw a few with firey tails.Well worth a visit. Wrap up this time of the year.