PDA

View Full Version : Relocation Best resort for father with mobility issues (mild dementia also) 78 + help with accom

johartley2001
11-09-2016, 13:29
Hello

1st post.
I'm looking to bring mum & dad to s.tenerife this winter jan-mar to escape the winter.

My dad has mild/moderate demntia & mum really needs time out !

The objective to 'exercise' my dad to keep him from ceasing up infront of the fire this winter.

Which resorts should I consider ?

Any links to accommodation options would be fantastic / or if anyone knows someone who maybe interested in renting their place this winter please contact me by PM

Ive already had playa san juan & alcala recommended as they are flat/quiet/low cost accommodations.

Really need the places to be in the south & quiet, where a couple could live without a car & get by with just the bus.

Ideally with a pool (heated) - my dad hates the cold.

Many thanks James

lynno52
12-09-2016, 12:01
Hi James - you could look at Hotel Mar Y Sol in Los Cristianos? They may be able to fulfill your requirements?

johartley2001
12-09-2016, 14:16
Hi James - you could look at Hotel Mar Y Sol in Los Cristianos? They may be able to fulfill your requirements?

thanks, I'm really looking for a private apt hire to keep costs down as we are looking to stay for 3months - the costs at 240/night would be too much.

My dad isn't so bad & can cope with stairs etc, ideally I'm looking for a place that has:

flat coastal path to shops etc from apt complex
not to busy ie no noise no massive crowds etc
in the south for the better weather

thanks

Alvy
12-09-2016, 14:38
I hope you have considered issues of language, doctors as emergency and general appointments for both,
And simple things as cooking cleaning, going out-side, not having usual comforts as British TV, old friends etc...

johartley2001
12-09-2016, 14:56
I hope you have considered issues of language, doctors as emergency and general appointments for both,
And simple things as cooking cleaning, going out-side, not having usual comforts as British TV, old friends etc...

I will be staying for the whole duration, any recommendations ?

Red Devil
12-09-2016, 22:01
I will be staying for the whole duration, any recommendations ?

It will be the best thing you can possibly do for your dad & mum, far better getting out and about in Tenerife than shivering in the UK.
You may struggle to find anything now for early next year as it is peak season in Tenerife but still worth a try.
Los Cristianos could be ideal, plenty of places to visit on the busses from there and interesting old town with plenty of shops etc and nice seafront.
Lots of private rentals have British tv and the bars have entertainment on that suits all ages, plus eating out is cheap enough.
Suggest apartments at Cristian Sur, San Marino or Compostella Beach off top of my head but sure there will be other suggestions given to you.
The doctors and medical facilities are very good so as long as your dad has insurance you wont have any problems.
As for missing old friends, home comforts etc think you will find he will end up talking to more people there than he would at home, also it would be lovely for your mum I'm sure, good luck

johartley2001
12-09-2016, 22:35
It will be the best thing you can possibly do for your dad & mum, far better getting out and about in Tenerife than shivering in the UK.
You may struggle to find anything now for early next year as it is peak season in Tenerife but still worth a try.
Los Cristianos could be ideal, plenty of places to visit on the busses from there and interesting old town with plenty of shops etc and nice seafront.
Lots of private rentals have British tv and the bars have entertainment on that suits all ages, plus eating out is cheap enough.
Suggest apartments at Cristian Sur, San Marino or Compostella Beach off top of my head but sure there will be other suggestions given to you.
The doctors and medical facilities are very good so as long as your dad has insurance you wont have any problems.
As for missing old friends, home comforts etc think you will find he will end up talking to more people there than he would at home, also it would be lovely for your mum I'm sure, good luck

cheers for that.
we are heading out oct 18th for a dry-run to see if they like it, will hire a car and check those places out.
we are staying a costa silencio (which doesn't seems the best) so hopefully we can put a deposit down on something for Jan-Mar.

whats the best method to find a good apt, Im looking at airbnb.......do they have estate agents in los cristinaos ?

I need to use a day or two of this holiday to secure a place if availability is gonna be tight.

thanks

Red Devil
12-09-2016, 23:03
cheers for that.
we are heading out oct 18th for a dry-run to see if they like it, will hire a car and check those places out.
we are staying a costa silencio (which doesn't seems the best) so hopefully we can put a deposit down on something for Jan-Mar.

whats the best method to find a good apt, Im looking at airbnb.......do they have estate agents in los cristinaos ?

I need to use a day or two of this holiday to secure a place if availability is gonna be tight.

thanks

There are plenty of estate agents but they tend to have only longer term rentals on their books. Suggest facebook and look for something like Tenerife rentals, sure you will get replies. Try companies such as Admiral Travel Tenerife or Sunshine holidays.
Tbh there isnt much around that area on airbnb, that company seems to have more places around towns such as Santa Cruz rather than the holiday resorts.
You could try Homeaway.com or Ownersdirect.co.uk, they deal with holiday rentals (which even a 3 month stay is classed as) but unfortunately you wont get much of a reduction from the peak season weekly rate.
North of the island such as Puerto de La Cruz is cheaper, with plenty of expats there, but the climate is more changeable so on the whole not as hot as in the South

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Also, Costa del Silencio may not be what you had in mind longer term but it isnt too bad- accommodation is cheaper, there is a nice little harbour and shops, small local town with plenty of cheapish local cafes and on a main bus route to go to other places if you want a change. Its certainly better than being in UK in winter

candy2411
13-09-2016, 06:29
Silencio would be perfect in my opinion. People are friendly and there is a large ex pat community of residents and people coming for winter so plenty around to talk to and get advice. If you stay in other places such as Los Cristianos you will find people are on one or two week breaks and there is no continuity and less chance to make friends. Accomodation also is cheaper in Silencio but you may have difficulty securing a private apartment at this late stage as same people return year after year on repeat bookings. There are a couple of hotels where you may secure good long term rate and you may want to try Alondras Park and Club Marino. Bus service throughout Silencio is excellent.