PDA

View Full Version : Tipping? It’s such a*poor habit in Spain

Canarian Weekly
23-09-2016, 11:20
SPAIN, as regular visitors will be well aware, is a country in which people eat and drink out regularly, whether it be a set-price, a workday lunch menu, an evening meal, or midday drinkies* at the weekend with friends and family. But shock, horror, unlike countries such as the United States, where tipping is pretty […]

More... (http://www.canarianweekly.com/tipping-a-poor-habit-spain/)

Ecky Thump
23-09-2016, 12:08
I am one of the 3% who do leave a decent tip in the region of 10--15%, but if the meal or service is of a poor quality, then I leave nothing and will tell the waiter/manager that I was disappointed with the meal.

If we are out and have just called into a bar for a quick drink, I would normally leave about a €1 tip.

Addick
23-09-2016, 15:45
Our bills are usually divided between 3-5 paying people when we eat out so we tend to add 10% and then work out a convenient amount for the split so ends up being a little more sometimes. Drinks I usually say to the barstaff to keep the change from a round.

Have noticed some restaurants here putting 'discretionary' service charges on bills which I don't like to see, or a charge if you are a group of 8+ etc.

mariben
23-09-2016, 17:17
When we go out to eat We always leave a tip, on the odd occasions when We Have complained about the food We Have not
tipped. Even if We go for a drink or just a coffee We always leave something.

junglejim
23-09-2016, 17:36
We normally tip10-15% here, In Florida last year , 20% was commonly "advised " on bill- left that to daughter and our Caxton Card as my wife would go crazy.
The difference in Florida is staff are taxed on presumed tips whether they are paid or not by IRS and majority of wages are based on tips !

tfs1
23-09-2016, 18:44
We normally tip10-15% here, In Florida last year , 20% was commonly "advised " on bill- left that to daughter and our Caxton Card as my wife would go crazy.
The difference in Florida is staff are taxed on presumed tips whether they are paid or not by IRS and majority of wages are based on tips !

About 30 years ago when the kids were young we went with close friends who also had kids to Florida and went during the day to prebook tickets for a 'medieval evening' with food, entertainment etc - a typical tourist place to visit !

Having sorted out the number of tickets and we came to pay we were aked if we wanted to prepay the tip aswell !! - so we dont have to worry about it later.

We didnt take up the offer and would leave a tip depending of how the staff did.

imablue
23-09-2016, 19:14
OH and I always, providing the service and food etc. has been good leave at least 10%
On many occasions have said keep the change.
That change could be any amount over our said 10%.
We are of the opinion that the waiter/waitress is deserving (because of their diligence )and therefore are rewarded thus.
Not very often have we walked away from a venue without tipping,when we have we never ever go back.
Once in a restaurant in Florida we just paid the amount asked for without the so called service charge of 20% and got some verbals ..so as one would gave them loads back never to return there again ...simple really...:twak:

macdonald5
23-09-2016, 19:21
In Tenerife if food is acceptable we always leave reasonable tip of 10% plus
Friends who are residents often say we are 'too generous', but if food and service is good I have no hesitation leaving reasonable thank you Do know wages are not high
Only slight downside we've heard some owners do not share the 'tips pot' ...bad news !!
My OH hates to complain but if food or service is lacking I have no hesitation of quietly saying so and tip would reflect

tfs1
24-09-2016, 08:19
In Tenerife if food is acceptable we always leave reasonable tip of 10% plus
Friends who are residents often say we are 'too generous', but if food and service is good I have no hesitation leaving reasonable thank you Do know wages are not high
Only slight downside we've heard some owners do not share the 'tips pot' ...bad news !!
My OH hates to complain but if food or service is lacking I have no hesitation of quietly saying so and tip would reflect

Our place in mainland Spain is very far from any tourist area and 99.9% local inhabitants. The locals tip will normally be a few cents ours will be a little more generous. When you are paying local and not tourist prices a nice tip is normally very little in terms of money.

During the summer 4 of us went to a local bar at lunchtime and each of us had a 3 course 'menu del dia' and an extra drink and being the generous person I am offered to pay and it came to €36, thinking he only charged us for me and my wife I queried the amount and he said it was for 4 of us !

So it was €40 and keep the change - I even thought of giving him some more but resisted the temptation !

cheery
24-09-2016, 14:50
We were discussing this earlier this week with our friends when we stayed with them this week in Tenerife. I hadn't realised that tips weren't given in Spain until I was told. As we knew that wages were lower in Tenerife than UK we have no hesitation in giving 10% if the establishment warranted it (all did). As mentioned, prices are cheaper than UK anyway so it still didn't add up to UK prices with a tip! We went to a Spa near Roque del Conde on Monday and 4 (non-alcoholic) drinks afterwards were €10.50 so I left €12. I even queried the price as it sounded too low.