PDA

View Full Version : Other Cyclists

essexeddie
30-09-2016, 23:10
Friends of ours that are regulars to Tenerife and have just returned back there last Friday have just been run down by a speeding cyclist on LC seafront. She is now in hospital with a shattered elbo.
How can it be allowed that these cyclists can use the pavements as a speed track. I've very nearly been hit myself a few times. It really is very dangerous and you can't hear them coming. Why can't they use the roads.

LindaD
01-10-2016, 00:26
Friends of ours that are regulars to Tenerife and have just returned back there last Friday have just been run down by a speeding cyclist on LC seafront. She is now in hospital with a shattered elbo.
How can it be allowed that these cyclists can use the pavements as a speed track. I've very nearly been hit myself a few times. It really is very dangerous and you can't hear them coming. Why can't they use the roads.

Have thought the same thing myself often Eddie, they're a flamin' nuisance. What happened to having a bell eh?

tfs1
01-10-2016, 08:54
Have thought the same thing myself often Eddie, they're a flamin' nuisance. What happened to having a bell eh?

They are indeed a pain.

On one occasion while we were walking on the pavement near the Arona Gran hotel a bike approached from behind us and the person rang their bell and as he passed I shouted 'why dont you use the road' - he stopped and came back to have 'chat'.

He was, unexpectedly, a rather pleasant English guy who was a resident and informed me cyclists are allowed to ride on the pavement and he went on his way.

On this occasion he wasnt speeding but nevertheless anyone making sudden change in direction etc, be it a adult or a child, while walking on a pavement with cyclists passing could result in injury to cyclist and/or pedestrian regardless of speed.

So are they legally allowed to use the walkways ?

ps essexeddie - would I know who was involved ?

essexeddie
01-10-2016, 16:24
Not sure if you know them but they are Paul and Marion Bailey from El Rincon. Paul used to be President there. Marion is now out of hospital after three days with her elbow wired up. Police were informed but as the cyclist stopped (he had no option as he also came off) no further action required. As you say it's legal.

tfs1
01-10-2016, 18:04
Not sure if you know them but they are Paul and Marion Bailey from El Rincon. Paul used to be President there. Marion is now out of hospital after three days with her elbow wired up. Police were informed but as the cyclist stopped (he had no option as he also came off) no further action required. As you say it's legal.

Thanks Eddie - not people I have met, but thanks anyway.

Addick
02-10-2016, 13:28
Let them use the pavements but make them have third party insurance for the times they plough into pedestrians. :moped:(close enough)

essexeddie
16-10-2016, 21:33
Further to this thread, I have found out since that the person that ran them down was their next door neighbour. Mmmm

Medman
16-10-2016, 23:12
Further to this thread, I have found out since that the person that ran them down was their next door neighbour. Mmmm

That's what I call determined ! .. :sorry:

Tony the Welder
02-11-2016, 08:15
has any one got a bike for the day i will pay for any damage done