PDA

View Full Version : Other Guidence - RELOCATING

kb78
15-11-2016, 12:02
Hi guys, thanks for taking time to read and reply.. if you do ..
Me and my partner are in our late 30s and are thinking about relocating to Tenerife from the UK later next year once we have learnt Spanish...
we are looking for any tips on areas ( we are very flexible on this, we would like to be near the coast ideally.. / expat communities as we are very sociable and we would love to meet new friends and get involved in local activities.
As for work we are hoping to have enough money for a few months to see us through..
we are looking to set up a little business but this is still working process at the moment.
We would appreciate any information/ tips on relocating that any of you could give us.

many thanks:)

macdonald5
15-11-2016, 13:02
Hi kb78 Welcome to forum
If you go to Home forum button you'll see a sub forum ...Tenerife discussions which includes 'relocating to Tenerife' topic
There are many questions and answers there which I'm sure would give you loads of good information
Best wishes with your new venture

lynno52
15-11-2016, 13:15
Welcome from me . Good luck in your venture. Lots of advice in those sub forums:welcome:

LUCKY
15-11-2016, 14:53
Hi kb78 Welcome to forum
If you go to Home forum button you'll see a sub forum ...Tenerife discussions which includes 'relocating to Tenerife' topic
There are many questions and answers there which I'm sure would give you loads of good information
Best wishes with your new venture

Did you mean this one ?:flatcap::feret::feret::feret:
http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/forumdisplay.php?92-Relocating-to-or-from-Tenerife

doreen
15-11-2016, 15:12
And welcome from me too !

With all due respect (yes, you know this will be a negative comment), unless you are already very proficient in Italian or French (or another Romance language) or can devote say 5 hours a day, every day, there is no way you will have "learnt" Spanish by next year.

On setting up a business, can I just warn you (from bitter experience), the system is very different here ... bureaucracy is mind blowing. I have known some Gestors, who you will need to set up a business, to be quite clueless regarding the various different licences needed. There's a thread on here from someone wanting to do something in transport who was saying he got two completely different responses from Gestors - one saying no problem, I'll have it all sorted in a month, the other saying - don't waste your money, you'll never get permission.

And there was another case (or was it the same couple) asking how long would change of use take for a property ... I replied that I was 6 months in on changing a garage to a private office and still could not get the electricity connected ... that was 6 months ago, and I am still waiting. (in the meantime, the Community wanted a copy of the Works Licence we had (which originally took 6 weeks to get), but the architect said he had lost it moving office ... just get a copy from the Town Hall, you would think - No, it took a formal equivalent to a Freedom of Information request and some 5 weeks later we were handed the full 40 page file)

Good advice above to read the sub forums - check out "Autonomo" etc

macdonald5
15-11-2016, 15:37
Did you mean this one ?:flatcap::feret::feret::feret:
http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/forumdisplay.php?92-Relocating-to-or-from-Tenerife

Si, Si that's the link Lots answers there

kb78
15-11-2016, 15:38

With all due respect (yes, you know this will be a negative comment), unless you are already very proficient in Italian or French (or another Romance language) or can devote say 5 hours a day, every day, there is no way you will have "learnt" Spanish by next year.

On setting up a business, can I just warn you (from bitter experience), the system is very different here ... bureaucracy is mind blowing. I have known some Gestors, who you will need to set up a business, to be quite clueless regarding the various different licences needed. There's a thread on here from someone wanting to do something in transport who was saying he got two completely different responses from Gestors - one saying no problem, I'll have it all sorted in a month, the other saying - don't waste your money, you'll never get permission.

And there was another case (or was it the same couple) asking how long would change of use take for a property ... I replied that I was 6 months in on changing a garage to a private office and still could not get the electricity connected ... that was 6 months ago, and I am still waiting. (in the meantime, the Community wanted a copy of the Works Licence we had (which originally took 6 weeks to get), but the architect said he had lost it moving office ... just get a copy from the Town Hall, you would think - No, it took a formal equivalent to a Freedom of Information request and some 5 weeks later we were handed the full 40 page file)

many thanks for the heads up

Tony the Welder
16-11-2016, 08:11

wow what a kill joy 25 years in tenerife .spanish still not that good , started my up my own business and life is good if you do not try you will nether know

kb78
16-11-2016, 10:11
wow what a kill joy 25 years in tenerife .spanish still not that good , started my up my own business and life is good if you do not try you will nether know

Good to hear ;), Our thoughts exactly, do you have any major tips setting up a business and areas?
Many thanks in advanced

Tony the Welder
16-11-2016, 12:58
Good to hear ;), Our thoughts exactly, do you have any major tips setting up a business and areas?
Many thanks in advanced

give me a call if you ever take the jump lots of people talk but that is all it is

doreen
17-11-2016, 16:13

You might say "kill joy" ... I prefer to call myself a realist :)

And perhaps you should hang your head in shame if you are to not so great in Spanish after 25 years :devil2: