PDA

View Full Version : Other Favourite Local Restaurants in Puerto de la Cruz/La Orotava Area

pateen
05-12-2016, 18:16
Hey folks,

Just did a quick search on favourite local restaurants in the Puerto de la Cruz and La Orotava areas of the island but didn’t find a whole lot.

I’m thinking along the lines of local Canarian/Spanish type food, family owed places and not overpriced. Basically where the locals and long term residents go regularly.
Anyone suggestions? Feel free to post :yum::yum:

Thanks Pat

willakawill
05-12-2016, 21:58
This is the app that will keep you busy in local food and wine 'till you die :) (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.guachapp.Guachapp&hl=en)

pateen
06-12-2016, 18:08
Thanks WW,

Tried the app but unfortunately its no good.
Out of 100’s of restaurants in the area, only a few are listed and none with comments, real ratings or info

Carol55
06-12-2016, 18:15
Thanks WW,

Out of 100’s of restaurants in the area, only a few are listed and none with comments, real ratings or info

On some of the named reviews that you see on the forum search, you will find some of them diversify to different restaurants in Puerto....it's a forum thing, we go off topic.
Just type in Puerto in the search box and you should find a few suggestions. ;)

willakawill
06-12-2016, 18:23
Thanks WW,

They are not restaurants. They are Guachinches (http://www.donquijote.org/culture/spain/society/food/guachinches). Food cooked in their home kitchen served with wine they made themselves. And all for pennies.

garlicbread
06-12-2016, 18:59
Have a look at Tito's Bodeguita, exit 34 on TF-5 and Depatanegra in La Orotava

melm
06-12-2016, 19:46
Have a look at Tito's Bodeguita, exit 34 on TF-5 and Depatanegra in La Orotava

I have been to Tito's and was not disappointed. Good food in lovely surroundings.

So many nice restaurants in Puerto. The Plaza del Charco has a wide choice of restaurants that are popular with both tourist and locals.

Los Gemelos is good and a favourite of ours ,always busy especially at the weekends. They also have a small cafe that is a particular favourite with the locals (and me). The cafe faces the Marti Hotel.

Another couple that you might like (one man's food and all that) are Casa Pache and next door La Cocina. Small friendly places that are popular with both tourists and locals. Too many to mention, have a look on TA site for Puerto for reviews and directions.

Happy eating

Rodders
07-12-2016, 11:28
Try these two. very good food indeed. You should not be disappointed

https://es-es.facebook.com/pages/Casa-Odon/152282568192181

http://www.restaurantelapimienta.com/home.htm

pateen
07-12-2016, 15:15
They are not restaurants. They are Guachinches (http://www.donquijote.org/culture/spain/society/food/guachinches). Food cooked in their home kitchen served with wine they made themselves. And all for pennies.

Thanks for the heads up WW. All new to me, will deifinitly try a few

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

I have been to Tito's and was not disappointed. Good food in lovely surroundings.

So many nice restaurants in Puerto. The Plaza del Charco has a wide choice of restaurants that are popular with both tourist and locals.

Los Gemelos is good and a favourite of ours ,always busy especially at the weekends. They also have a small cafe that is a particular favourite with the locals (and me). The cafe faces the Marti Hotel.

Another couple that you might like (one man's food and all that) are Casa Pache and next door La Cocina. Small friendly places that are popular with both tourists and locals. Too many to mention, have a look on TA site for Puerto for reviews and directions.

Happy eating

Thanks Melon, I always avoid TA as it covers everything form the local cafe to Michelin star fine dining and its very hard to decipher whats what. I more of grandmas kitchen type place where the decor is dodgy tbut the food and wine is amazing and not a rip off. Thinkas for your other tips too, I'll be sure to try at least one.

Also love the idea of the Guachinchos, they sound really exciting so cant wait

Ecky Thump
07-12-2016, 18:59
My favourite restaurant in the Plaza del Charco is the Lacasona, you can enjoy a reasonably priced lunch outside or in the evening a more formal dinner.

We can remember one of the waiters (Miguel) who worked there part time and now must be in his late forties/early fifties and as of earlier this year was still working there there, I would think he would have been about 13 yrs old when we first met him and he looked remarkably like Michael Jackson and for a few pesetas he would entertain the customers mimicking his dance routine.
Happy days when we used to stay at the Molino Blanco apartments and on one night a week could just about afford a special meal in the Magnolia restaurant or have a coffee in the Cafe de Paris while our young son had ice cream.

melm
07-12-2016, 19:34
Thanks for the heads up WW. All new to me, will deifinitly try a few

Thanks Melon, I always avoid TA as it covers everything form the local cafe to Michelin star fine dining and its very hard to decipher whats what. I more of grandmas kitchen type place where the decor is dodgy tbut the food and wine is amazing and not a rip off. Thinkas for your other tips too, I'll be sure to try at least one.

Also love the idea of the Guachinchos, they sound really exciting so cant wait

If you like grandmas kitchen you will like Casa Peche:pray: Its been a house at some time now converted to a restaurant. Think you will also like Los Gemelos cafe , no frills just good food , nice atmosphere and a favourite with the locals. I do know a couple of Brits who don't like it.
You can't please all of the people all of the time:laugh:

Ecky Thump
10-12-2016, 12:23
If you like grandmas kitchen you will like Casa Peche:pray: Its been a house at some time now converted to a restaurant. Think you will also like Los Gemelos cafe , no frills just good food , nice atmosphere and a favourite with the locals. I do know a couple of Brits who don't like it.
You can't please all of the people all of the time:laugh:

Where are these two restaurants/cafes, we are due a trip up to Puerto the next time we are over.?

melm
10-12-2016, 14:08
Where are these two restaurants/cafes, we are due a trip up to Puerto the next time we are over.?

I am useless with directions and my cut and paste abilities are a bit dodgy to say the least.

Casa Pache has a FB page you'll get directions there. La Cocina (another one I mentioned ) is next door.

Los Gemelos Cafe is behind what was the Dania Park hotel, now got a new name, and facing the Marti Hotel. Not to be confused with the restaurant although that is very good .

Carol55
10-12-2016, 17:30
I am useless with directions and my cut and paste abilities are a bit dodgy to say the least.

Casa Pache has a FB page you'll get directions there. La Cocina (another one I mentioned ) is next door.

Los Gemelos Cafe is behind what was the Dania Park hotel, now got a new name, and facing the Marti Hotel. Not to be confused with the restaurant although that is very good .

I'll get Ecky to take me to try them when we're in Puerto in May, I'm going to get him to book into the Monopol Hotel for a couple of nights.

As for directions, I'm also useless, unless it's directions to Marks & Spencer, I think I know every one of them in the UK!:D

melm
10-12-2016, 19:38
I'll get Ecky to take me to try them when we're in Puerto in May, I'm going to get him to book into the Monopol Hotel for a couple of nights.

As for directions, I'm also useless, unless it's directions to Marks & Spencer, I think I know every one of them in the UK!:D

Oh yes never a problem finding marks.

pateen
15-12-2016, 13:21
Anyone have any thoughts on these places in Puerto
Rated the best Cheap eats on Trip adviser

CHEAP EATS LIST FROM Trip advisor
Casa Mediterranea
#2 of 308 Restaurants in Puerto de la Cruz
££ - £££ Map Visitor photos (66)
Cuisines: Latin Mediterranean European Spanish Argentinian Gluten Free Options

Bodega Julian
#3 of 308 Restaurants in Puerto de la Cruz
££ - £££ Map Visitor photos (247)
Cuisines: Mediterranean Spanish

Bar El Camino
#5 of 308 Restaurants in Puerto de la Cruz
£ Map Visitor photos (225)
Cuisines: Bar Mediterranean Spanish Pub Gluten Free Options

Tasca el Olivo
#7 of 308 Restaurants in Puerto de la Cruz
££ - £££ Map Visitor photos (197)
Cuisines: Mediterranean Contemporary European Spanish Gluten Free Options

La Marea
#9 of 308 Restaurants in Puerto de la Cruz
££ - £££ Map Visitor photos (93)
Cuisines: Mediterranean European Spanish Gluten Free Options

Arcon Tapas
#10 of 308 Restaurants in Puerto de la Cruz
££ - £££ Map Visitor photos (118)

Restaurante Oliva
#11 of 308 Restaurants in Puerto de la Cruz
££ - £££ Map Visitor photos (33)

Casa Mika
#15 of 308 Restaurants in Puerto de la Cruz
££ - £££ Map Visitor photos (82)
Cuisines: Mediterranean European Spanish

Meson los Gemelos
#16 of 308 Restaurants in Puerto de la Cruz
££ - £££ Map Visitor photos (234)

Cafeteria Selma & Lovisa
#17 of 308 Restaurants in Puerto de la Cruz
£ Map Visitor photos (26)
Cuisines: Cafe European Gluten Free Options

Restaurante-Pizzeria Don Camilo
#18 of 308 Restaurants in Puerto de la Cruz
££ - £££ Map Visitor photos (94)
Cuisines: Italian Pizza Mediterranean European Gluten Free Options

La Herreria
#19 of 308 Restaurants in Puerto de la Cruz
££ - £££ Map Visitor photos (68)
Cuisines: Mediterranean European Spanish International

Ecky Thump
15-12-2016, 16:11
The person who can probably help you most on these cafe/bars/restaurants is canarybird , unfortunetly she hasn't recently been very active on this! forum, but if she does log in, then she will see this post.;)

Carol55
16-12-2016, 10:55
You could try down by the Fisherman’s Quarter, there are lots of small friendly restaurants there, one of them is called Los Tulipanas and we not been disappointed when visiting there, or indeed any of them in that area.:yum:

melm
16-12-2016, 19:32
You could try down by the Fisherman’s Quarter, there are lots of small friendly restaurants there, one of them is called Los Tulipanas and we not been disappointed when visiting there, or indeed any of them in that area.:yum:

This restaurant has changed hands now and we haven't visited since the change. The chef from Tulipanes now has La Cocina (I mentioned earlier). You won't be disappointed .

Anyone have any thoughts on these places in Puerto
Rated the best Cheap eats on Trip adviser

CHEAP EATS LIST FROM Trip advisor
Casa Mediterranea
#2 of 308 Restaurants in Puerto de la Cruz

Have been a few times, very small place in one of the side streets. No complaints from us.

Bodega Julian
#3 of 308 Restaurants in Puerto de la Cruz

Visited for the first time last year. Very nice family run restaurant. would be better booking at table as its always busy. A nice touch is when the family get together and sing to the diners.

Bar El Camino
#5 of 308 Restaurants in Puerto de la Cruz
£ Map Visitor photos (225)

Not sure about this one

Tasca el Olivo
#7 of 308 Restaurants in Puerto de la Cruz
££ - £££ Map Visitor photos (197)

On my to visit list

La Marea
#9 of 308 Restaurants in Puerto de la Cruz
££ - £££ Map Visitor photos (93)

Haven't been to this one

Arcon Tapas
#10 of 308 Restaurants in Puerto de la Cruz
££ - £££ Map Visitor photos (118)

Haven't been but its always busy so they must be doing something right. Good reviews

Restaurante Oliva
#11 of 308 Restaurants in Puerto de la Cruz
££ - £££ Map Visitor photos (33)

haven't been there

Casa Mika
#15 of 308 Restaurants in Puerto de la Cruz
££ - £££ Map Visitor photos (82)
Cuisines: Mediterranean European Spanish

Looks lovely, we have not been yet. its on the same narrow lane as Casa Pache and La Cocina

Meson los Gemelos
#16 of 308 Restaurants in Puerto de la Cruz
££ - £££ Map Visitor photos (234)

Have been there many times. always busy with locals and tourists especially at weekends, and they don't take bookings.

Cafeteria Selma & Lovisa
#17 of 308 Restaurants in Puerto de la Cruz
£ Map Visitor photos (26)

Haven't been to this one

Restaurante-Pizzeria Don Camilo
#18 of 308 Restaurants in Puerto de la Cruz
££ - £££ Map Visitor photos (94)

Not a favourite of ours

La Herreria
#19 of 308 Restaurants in Puerto de la Cruz
££ - £££ Map Visitor photos (68)
Cuisines: Mediterranean European Spanish International

Good popular restaurant

Think I'm the only member on this forum who holidays in Puerto. Have been going for many years and tend to eat in or near the Plaza del Charco. Lots to choose from.

Carol55
17-12-2016, 13:37
This restaurant has changed hands now and we haven't visited since the change. The chef from Tulipanes now has La Cocina (I mentioned earlier). You won't be disappointed .

Good popular restaurant

Think I'm the only member on this forum who holidays in Puerto. Have been going for many years and tend to eat in or near the Plaza del Charco. Lots to choose from.

We had our holidays in Puerto for many years and stayed at the Molino Blanco apartments and like you spent many hours sitting in the Plaza del Charco watching the world go by, one character who seemed to be a eccentric elderly lady who wore a bright yellow wig, came into the square most days shouting at the top of her voice with what I think was abuse at the Spanish regime, the police were never bothered with her, just told her to go and of she happily went with her loud cackling voice disappearing into the distance.:lol:

melm
17-12-2016, 14:19
We had our holidays in Puerto for many years and stayed at the Molino Blanco apartments and like you spent many hours sitting in the Plaza del Charco watching the world go by, one character who seemed to be a eccentric elderly lady who wore a bright yellow wig, came into the square most days shouting at the top of her voice with what I think was abuse at the Spanish regime, the police were never bothered with her, just told her to go and of she happily went with her loud cackling voice disappearing into the distance.:lol:

Haven't seen her around for a couple of years. She also wore a lime green and bright orange wig sometimes, think she was just a local lady with mental health issues. Last time I saw her she was in the bus station at Santa Cruz.