PDA

View Full Version : Other Vapers - E-cigarette Users - Expats - Tourists

TFK
17-12-2016, 13:45
Hi everyone. Was wondering if there is much of a vaping community in tenerife amoung expats or tourists.
I use e-cigarettes and live here but don't see many other people using them. The only shops local to me are the 2 Good Smoke stores which are not very good so continue to just stock up everytime I go home.
Does tenerife need better vape supplies?

Carol55
17-12-2016, 13:54
Hi everyone. Was wondering if there is much of a vaping community in tenerife amoung expats or tourists.
I use e-cigarettes and live here but don't see many other people using them. The only shops local to me are the 2 Good Smoke stores which are not very good so continue to just stock up everytime I go home.
Does tenerife need better vape supplies?

Nope, my honest opinion is that they should just to be banned, as they have become a fashion item for teenagers (mainly girls) and no one yet know what the true health implications are and if it will lead them to smoking normal cigarettes and the dangers associated with that. :dontknow:

TFK
17-12-2016, 14:09
Nope, my honest opinion is that they should just to be banned, as they have become a fashion item for teenagers (mainly girls) and no one yet know what the true health implications are and if it will lead them to smoking normal cigarettes and the dangers associated with that. :dontknow:

I respect your oppinion if you also think regular cigarettes should also be banned but it seems heavily influenced by mainstream media which is controlled by big pharma and other orginisations that are loosing alot of money. Take a look at a documentry called a Billion Lives. Made by non-smokers/non vapers. 95% safer than smoking is a fact, gateway to smoking normal cigarettes is not a fact.

Edit..
Interested where are the stastics that says its becoming a fasion item for teenage girls?

Carol55
17-12-2016, 14:15
I respect your oppinion if you also think regular cigarettes should also be banned but it seems heavily influenced by mainstream media which is controlled by big pharma and other orginisations that are loosing alot of money. Take a look at a documentry called a Billion Lives. Made by non-smokers/non vapers. 95% safer than smoking is a fact, gateway to smoking normal cigarettes is not a fact.

I understand all that, but it would appear that the 'vapors' have more and more become a fashion accessory, we only have to look at the stylisation of the shops that sell them to see who the marketing is being aimed at, also the appearance of the E-cigarette it's self.

------------------------------
Interested where are the stastics that says its becoming a fasion item for teenage girls?

Just walk about the shopping malls in the UK and it becomes obvious who the users are, we don't need statistics drawn up by money making companies to see what's happening.

TFK
17-12-2016, 14:28
I understand all that, but it would appear that the 'vapors' have more and more become a fashion accessory, we only have to look at the stylisation of the shops that sell them to see who the marketing is being aimed at, also the appearance of the E-cigarette it's self.

------------------------------

Just walk about the shopping malls in the UK and it becomes obvious who the users are, we don't need statistics drawn up by money making companies to see what's happening.

Fair enough, lets see if any vapers do reply to this thread ... If there are any :laugh:

Ecky Thump
17-12-2016, 14:55
Fair enough, lets see if any vapers do reply to this thread ... If there are any :laugh:

If you use the search facility at the top right of the page and enter 'cigarettes' you will find a few existing threads that you might find useful and maybe resurrect one of those.:wink:

delderek
17-12-2016, 15:39
You can't keep banning things just because Teenagers may be tempted. There would be no Speed, No E, No H, or many other illegal substances. Then where would the World be.:whistle:

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

I have been vaping (and smoking, but an awful lot less) for about a year, and think it is one of the best methods yet of cutting down smoking. Harmful or not, I don't know, but I suspect a lot less so, than walking through streets clogged with traffic.

As to vaping supplies in Tenerife I always take my own from the UK. I would think with the very cheap price of ciggies in Tenerife, would keep the vaping market quite small.

Red Devil
17-12-2016, 17:23
I find it odd that cigarettes are not illegal yet people are trying to instead ban the one thing that seems to help them stop smoking? I know a few people who have stopped by using the vaping method so anything that helps must surely be encouraged.
Its typical of our present culture that everything must be banned - personal responsibility seems to have been overlooked. I have no idea whether vaping is now considered fashionable ��

Carol55
17-12-2016, 17:36
I find it odd that cigarettes are not illegal yet people are trying to instead ban the one thing that seems to help them stop smoking? I know a few people who have stopped by using the vaping method so anything that helps must surely be encouraged.
Its typical of our present culture that everything must be banned - personal responsibility seems to have been overlooked. I have no idea whether vaping is now considered fashionable ��

We all know why smoking cigarettes hasn't been made illegal within the UK, it's simply the income that if gives the government, but that shouldn't be a reason to allow another possible harmful replacement to be promoted and sold at large. I understand it's limited benefits to people who do smoke and want to give up, but e-cigarettes are now being marketed and made to be attractive to non smokers and these people are mainly vulnerable youngsters who haven't yet totally discovered the thought process of self responsibility.

delderek
17-12-2016, 20:02
We all know why smoking cigarettes hasn't been made illegal within the UK, it's simply the income that if gives the government, but that shouldn't be a reason to allow another possible harmful replacement to be promoted and sold at large. I understand it's limited benefits to people who do smoke and want to give up, but e-cigarettes are now being marketed and made to be attractive to non smokers and these people are mainly vulnerable youngsters who haven't yet totally discovered the thought process of self responsibility.

I think you may be missing the point. Banning things, doesn't stop people using them. All of the substances I mentioned above are banned. But still drug problems are increasing at a crazy rate each year. Alcohol is also big killer, but could you ban it. I think not.

Carol55
17-12-2016, 20:28
I think you may be missing the point. Banning things, doesn't stop people using them. All of the substances I mentioned above are banned. But still drug problems are increasing at a crazy rate each year. Alcohol is also big killer, but could you ban it. I think not.

I'm not missing your point, but you would certainly greatly reduce the number of e-cigarette smokers if they weren't readily available and promoted in shopping malls, High Streets etc. in a attractive and sometimes sexy manner, our 'normal' existing cigarettes are hardly visible in the shops that sell them and the packaging is now bland.
I'm sure that you would find that if a survey was made that other aids to quit smoking (like nicorettes) that are available have not led non smokers to start smoking or become a fashion statement for the youngsters to follow.

I'm aware that this is a American website, but it does give a insight on the usage of e-cigarettes of young people.
https://www.tobaccofreekids.org/research/factsheets/pdf/0380.pdf

Red Devil
18-12-2016, 00:12
I just dont understand what fashion statement vaping makes. I dont know one teenager who smokes them. I dont know anyone who doesnt look a bit of an idiot sucking on one of them, but fully understand that if it helps someone stop smoking who am I to try to ban them?

Cousincas
18-12-2016, 11:51
Although nothing has been proved about the harm they might do, there is plenty of evidence about the benefits of giving up cigarettes and using e cigs instead. The NHS in England are now prescribing e cigs as an aid to give up smoking. I converted after developing COPD and I know of several others who have done the same. There are far more young people who smoke cigarettes, abuse drugs, binge drink and become obese which cause more problems (to themselves and the public ) than e cigs, and if it is a fashion statement I'd rather my kid vaped than smoked cigarettes.
Other than the 'Good Smoke' shop I've found other shops that sell a few supplies but there's very little variety, I tend to buy on line or ask people to bring things from England. I may look like an idiot sucking on my vape but nobody around me can complain about their passive smoking anymore.

Carol55
18-12-2016, 12:56
Nicotine.

If anyone thinks e-cigarettes are safe, then read this!

"Nicotine is a killer however it is delivered. E-cigs don’t contain the same type of nicotine you might find in an ordinary tobacco leaf. They contain liquid nicotine, which can be lethal, doctors say a tablespoon of some e-liquids on the market would be enough to kill an adult; half a teaspoon could kill a child. And the worst part is, you don’t even need to ingest these liquids to end up in hospital. Mere skin contact with concentrated liquid nicotine is enough to cause symptoms of poisoning, such as dizziness, elevated blood pressure and seizures.
Scientists already know of some troubling chemicals in the products. One is formaldehyde, a known carcinogen. Another possible culprit is diacetyl, a flavoring agent that has been linked to lung disease." This research was published in the Journal of Oncology.

That should be enough to scare even the most devout e-cig user, as the truth is that nobody’s actually regulating the concentration levels of liquids going into each cartridge. Thanks to EU legislation brought in this year, it has seen the products slapped with a few crucial safety guidelines, but these mainly relate to advertising and the sale to children, not the nicotine content in the e-cigarettes. So for now, e-cigarette manufacturers still preside over a cowboy industry that’s expanding at breakneck speed.

I think we all at times read what we want to believe, but we should have a open mind to come to a balanced view on what's reasonably safe and what's yet another potential killer.

delderek
18-12-2016, 19:50
Well if we are going down the frightening road, have a look at this:

http://www.lifehack.org/articles/lifestyle/20-toxic-things-you-probably-use-every-day.html

Carol55
18-12-2016, 20:12
Well if we are going down the frightening road, have a look at this:

http://www.lifehack.org/articles/lifestyle/20-toxic-things-you-probably-use-every-day.html

It's not the 'Frightening Road', it's reality, we can't just bury our heads in the sand and ignore the known dangers or we would still be living (or not) in the dark ages when medical science didn't exist. Why is it that people (myself included) can't face the dangers of chemicals that are being introduced into our bodies, we all know now the dangers that the petrochemical industry has given us and are acting on it, but when it comes to simple things that we can influence easily, we shrug our shoulders and make all sorts of illogical arguments against making a stand and introduce new barriers and excuses. ???