PDA

View Full Version : Other Retirement to Tenerife

Angusjim
18-12-2016, 11:04
I would be interested for people who have made the move full time to tell the Forum what the good and bad points are. After you get over the excitement of the move and settle in to day to day living what do you fill your time doing

fixer
18-12-2016, 13:25
No one retiring then? this something ive been thinking of you really need something to pass the time you cant got to the pub as if your on holiday everyday some play Bridge a few times a week go walks its a difficult one but ive a year yet to think about it,

Red Devil
18-12-2016, 14:33
No one retiring then? this something ive been thinking of you really need something to pass the time you cant got to the pub as if your on holiday everyday some play Bridge a few times a week go walks its a difficult one but ive a year yet to think about it,

People say that also when in the UK before retirement, then they wonder after a few weeks how they had the time to work. I come to Tenerife for 3-4 months at a time, which is ideal for me, but honestly I am never bored in Tenerife and I never sunbathe - I think it would be quite easy to fall into bad habits with drinking etc at various times of the day (as far as I'm concerned anyway) but there are so many places to visit on Tenerife as well as the other islands and of course the sunny days mean you are out & about in the fresh air so it must be healthier for you

AndyG
18-12-2016, 14:34
We retired early in June 2015 and relocated to Tenerife in November 2015.
We play squash twice a week, go on a 2 hour walk from Los Gigantes to Playa San Juan once a week, play Petanque a couple of times a week and swim either in San Juan or in the natural pools in Alcala 3 or 4 times a week.
We go to a cafe at least once a day but eat evening meals at home.
It is a quiet life now but we still love every minute. Just walking along the sea front is always enjoyable!

Angusjim
18-12-2016, 15:00
People say that also when in the UK before retirement, then they wonder after a few weeks how they had the time to work. I come to Tenerife for 3-4 months at a time, which is ideal for me, but honestly I am never bored in Tenerife and I never sunbathe - I think it would be quite easy to fall into bad habits with drinking etc at various times of the day (as far as I'm concerned anyway) but there are so many places to visit on Tenerife as well as the other islands and of course the sunny days mean you are out & about in the fresh air so it must be healthier for you

Your situation not really the same as full time in Tenerife its more like an extended holiday :) but could you see yourself there full time and how do you think you would get on.

Red Devil
18-12-2016, 15:35
Your situation not really the same as full time in Tenerife its more like an extended holiday :) but could you see yourself there full time and how do you think you would get on.

The only reason I would never consider full time is simply the weather, I wouldnt be able to stand the heat July/August.
I honestly dont think of myself as on holiday after about the first week anyway.
We walk a lot, catch the buses a lot, meet up with friends on a regular basis, read, sleep & watch tv same as in Uk and I would definitely join a gym and perhaps dance type classes if I was there all year. Of course we eat out far more than at home. I would also commit 1-2 days a week to helping out in one of animal charity shops. Thats without having any interest in outdoor sports such as golf, tennis etc.
As cost of living is so much cheaper I would defintely take advantage of cheaper travel for residents and use the ferries etc to visit other islands.
Somehow everything I enjoy is so much easier to do in Tenerife.
Everyone is different - if my idea of a good day on holiday is drinking in the sun all day then I think I would be in trouble health and family wise if I was hoping to do the same on a permanent basis.

Angusjim
27-12-2016, 09:22
Well I brought the subject of retiring to Tenerife again over the festive time with the Mrs but still a big fat NO from her to both us moving over and even buying another apartment so thats me telt. I will have to try plan B swallow living how easy is it to get decent / reasonably priced apartments to rent for 3-6 months in Los Cristianos or Coast Adeje areas or is there another area someone can recommend for the swallow life? if you do this perhaps you can let us know how you find this arrangement works for you good and bad points.:tiphat:

junglejim
27-12-2016, 10:24
Well I brought the subject of retiring to Tenerife again over the festive time with the Mrs but still a big fat NO from her to both us moving over and even buying another apartment so thats me telt. I will have to try plan B swallow living how easy is it to get decent / reasonably priced apartments to rent for 3-6 months in Los Cristianos or Coast Adeje areas or is there another area someone can recommend for the swallow life? if you do this perhaps you can let us know how you find this arrangement works for you good and bad points.:tiphat:
The problem is Jim that most owners,certainly on our complex, use their apartments over the winter months - we have several winter swallows varying from 6 weeks to 5 months.
You actually have to be on a waiting list to get in some of the more popular complexes that have good community spirit !
The majority on ours are repeat "friends " we do have a reasonable amount of days out , birthdays etc to break up the monotony of everyday activities or inertia .
Every complex will have its "Cliques" and depending on your social skills you may fit in or not (I have none , take me or leave me IDGAF) but gradually you find what suits .
Leaving your hometown social pack is difficult for some though social media helps, family ties are more of a problem .
The benefit of renting is not being tied to somewhere that may not suit - at least you can move !
Keep looking Jim , you've been here often enough to know it makes sense !

Angusjim
27-12-2016, 11:08
The problem is Jim that most owners,certainly on our complex, use their apartments over the winter months - we have several winter swallows varying from 6 weeks to 5 months.
You actually have to be on a waiting list to get in some of the more popular complexes that have good community spirit !
The majority on ours are repeat "friends " we do have a reasonable amount of days out , birthdays etc to break up the monotony of everyday activities or inertia .
Every complex will have its "Cliques" and depending on your social skills you may fit in or not (I have none , take me or leave me IDGAF) but gradually you find what suits .
Leaving your hometown social pack is difficult for some though social media helps, family ties are more of a problem .
The benefit of renting is not being tied to somewhere that may not suit - at least you can move !
Keep looking Jim , you've been here often enough to know it makes sense !

JJ thanks for reply the one thing that really stops the Mrs is the family thing and this is hurdle we are never going to overcome even with the swallow idea but hopefully we can compromise on this. I do really like the general area where you are but I know property is scarce and not cheap. I have always found your social skills to be great its just your wee short arms and them deep pockets you have that causes me concern.
Hope you and the family had a great Christmas and you hae guide new yea

cheery
27-12-2016, 11:21
I rang a company on Tenerife for tax advice concerning my pensions and reasonable lump for we come out in 3-4 years. The guy I was supposed to speak to is on holiday in the UK at the moment!I have stuck a note on the cupboard at my shop to remind me to call next Tuesday. I need to find out about opening an account here to sen money to Tenerife or move it all in one go and then take my annual allowances without paying too much (if any) tax.

Ecky Thump
27-12-2016, 11:37
Like Angusjim and others I have considered Tenerife as a place to retire, but again it's the uk family that holds the wife back, so rather than invest in property in Tenerife we have bought a second property in a holiday town in Largs to let out to fund extended stays in Tenerife.
On a positive note the property that we bought as a holiday let and investment has had the same tenant in for the last fourteen months.

junglejim
28-12-2016, 06:05
Cheers Jim , hope you've had a great Christmas & have a Guid New Year too !
Been home 12 days , 10 of it with 'Flu !!