PDA

View Full Version : Relocation So how's things Tnerife?

Geordie Maggot
12-01-2017, 10:13
This is my first post on the forum and would like to say hi to everyone, especially any expats living in the Golf Del Sur Area.
My partner and I loved the idea of owning a holiday home somewhere and after a spending the summer in Tenerife we decided that its the place for us. We bumped into a friend the first time we came out and she told us about the Golf and that set the idea into my partners head (she only has a small head bless her)
Were coming back out in March with the view to look at some properties and I wondered what peoples view on the Golf is??

delderek
12-01-2017, 10:20
Aircraft noise, plus some very cold winds in the Winter, are my own impressions.

Carol55
12-01-2017, 11:00
Hopefully LUCKY may see your post, as he spends a lot of time throughout the year in the area, but as delderek has said, there's a cold wind there at times.

Moderator_
12-01-2017, 11:11
Golf del Sur aka Little Britain, about as far removed from Spanish/Canarian culture as is China! Ideal for all those Brits that can't eat "any of that foreign muck".

tfs1
12-01-2017, 11:13
Hopefully LUCKY may see your post, as he spends a lot of time throughout the year in the area, but as delderek has said, there's a cold wind there at times.

Given its a stones throw from the airport I would be concerned with the aircraft noise. Many years ago we stayed at Costa del Silencio which is a little further away from the airport and found that bad enough.

We would sit on the terrace and wave at the passengers as the planes went by ! But each to their own.

Carol55
12-01-2017, 11:18
Given its a stones throw from the airport I would be concerned with the noise. We stayed at Costa del Selencio which is a little further away from the airport and found that bad enough. But each to their own.

And as Moderator_ has said, it's a bit of a enclave for those people who just want a 'home from home' existance, I certainly wouldn't want to spend long periods of time there....but, each to there own.:wink:

Geordie Maggot
12-01-2017, 11:33
OK so it's a bit of a negative view so far but thanks for the honest points of view. Given i'm a newbie to Tenerife I can only listen to what others say but then go and learn from it myself.
I know there is a whole lot more to the Island than the South West but I think I prefer being closer to the airport for the quicker and easier transport links.
Having experienced PDLA and Los Cris, I would definitely consider those to be for the younger generations. This led us further east to the Golf Del Sur area. Accepted there is aircraft noise but we found as long as you weren't directly under the flight path then we didn't seem to notice it as much. Moderator_ Do you not find that Tenerife has such a large number of expats now that that are many areas that could be claimed as little britain?
Lastly most places I have been to on vacation suffer from over saturated UK Culture, ie English Breakfasts and Irish Bars. It's always a personal choice to hunt out and find the little gems and stay clear of the norm so to speak. I thought the golf had a good selection to be honest, or am just viewing it through rose tinted glasses?? haha
Thanks again for the replies.

tfs1
12-01-2017, 12:03
OK so it's a bit of a negative view so far but thanks for the honest points of view. Given i'm a newbie to Tenerife I can only listen to what others say but then go and learn from it myself.
I know there is a whole lot more to the Island than the South West but I think I prefer being closer to the airport for the quicker and easier transport links.
Having experienced PDLA and Los Cris, I would definitely consider those to be for the younger generations. This led us further east to the Golf Del Sur area. Accepted there is aircraft noise but we found as long as you weren't directly under the flight path then we didn't seem to notice it as much. Moderator_ Do you not find that Tenerife has such a large number of expats now that that are many areas that could be claimed as little britain?
Lastly most places I have been to on vacation suffer from over saturated UK Culture, ie English Breakfasts and Irish Bars. It's always a personal choice to hunt out and find the little gems and stay clear of the norm so to speak. I thought the golf had a good selection to be honest, or am just viewing it through rose tinted glasses?? haha
Thanks again for the replies.

We are in Los Cristianos and most definately not that young - well apart from being young at heart ! I have never stayed at GDS so my feedback is only based on perceptions rather than actual fact.

Good luck with your search.

delderek
12-01-2017, 14:06
This led us further east This really is the key to cooler temperatures. The prevailing wind in Tenerife is NE for something well over 300 days a year. It can be ok in the summer months, but for me, it's too much in the winter. The further East you go the more you feel it.

cheery
12-01-2017, 19:22
Costa Adeje or Fanabe for holidays or Adeje to live. Los Cris is also handy for everything on your doorstep, if you are getting on, like I will be in a few years!

Addick
12-01-2017, 21:46
This is my first post on the forum and would like to say hi to everyone, especially any expats living in the Golf Del Sur Area.
My partner and I loved the idea of owning a holiday home somewhere and after a spending the summer in Tenerife we decided that its the place for us. We bumped into a friend the first time we came out and she told us about the Golf and that set the idea into my partners head (she only has a small head bless her)
Were coming back out in March with the view to look at some properties and I wondered what peoples view on the Golf is??
It's not an area we've been to, but welcome to the forum anyway. Hope you find somewhere you like and in the meantime ask plenty of questions here.

Moderator_
12-01-2017, 22:29
PLEASE read this thread as the info therein is just as relevan today, if not more so, than it was back in 2011

http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/showthread.php?334-My-Tenerife-survival-guide-for-new-and-wannabe-expats

LUCKY
12-01-2017, 23:12
Golf del sur, would the O/P state ,Whether they require a home at Lower ,Middle or Higher.

Geordie Maggot
16-01-2017, 10:22
We're keeping our options open at the moment. We have a budget and that may determine where we will likely end up. Having had a look around I would think think we may stay away from the middle as this appears to be directly under the flight paths. We didn't mind the general aeroplane noise but being right under it seemed a bit too much. What's the feedback on the lower end??